Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any non widescreen affordable laptops out there?

Options
  • 04-11-2012 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭

I have a feeling I'm searching in vain, but are there are any reasonable priced laptops out there which are not widescreen? I want a laptop primarily for playing poker, browsing and writing docs and the widescreen format doesn't suit me at all, but seems like there's no non-widescreen laptops, besides macbooks, which are out of my price range.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Apple doesn't do letterbox (4:3) laptops. Your best bet is a refurbished laptop, but don't expect any better then a Core 2 Duo, as this format was retired well over 4 years ago.

I came into possession of a ThinkPad T61 with a C2D T7800, added a bit of memory (4 GB) and a 90 GB SSD. The processor performance compares to a modern SandyBridge dual core Celeron, nothing to write home but good enough for office applications and web surfing, or playing online poker, for that matter. ;)

On the other hand, 14-15" 4:3 displays usually have a resolution of 1024x768, a 15.6" 16:9 display usually has a resolution of 1366x768, the pixel height is identical, why doesn't it "suit you at all"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

Cheers Torqay
    Torqay wrote: »
    Apple doesn't do letterbox (4:3) laptops. Your best bet is a refurbished laptop, but don't expect any better then a Core 2 Duo, as this format was retired well over 4 years ago.

Yeah I know, it's just Apple's 16:10 format is slightly less widescreen than the 16:9 format. I can't afford an apple anyway
    Torqay wrote: »
    why doesn't it "suit you at all"?

Saying it doesn't suit me at all might be an exaggeration, but I normally play no more than 4 poker tables (usually less) at a time. I currently have a 10" netbook which I despise, it too has a resolution of 1366x768 - on most, actually all sites that I know of, if you play 4 tables due to the dimensions of the table 4 tables tiled will leave a big unused horizontal space 4tableson1366x768.jpg
    If you play 6 tables then it fits perfectly on a widescreen - but I don't plan to play that many. I rarely play even 4 tbh.

I plan to get a 15 inch laptop this time around so the tables should appear better on the bigger screen but it's still a lot of wasted screen... I suppose I could have other stuff in this space but still it'd be nice to have at least the option of a non widescreen format - seems like us users are corraled into having widescreen displays whether we want to or not - I know it probably makes sense from a manufacturing cost point of view though so I'll just have to get used to it I guess.

1920x1080 is not uncommon for 15.6"... play 8 tables if you want! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

Why not have your windows arranged around the centre of your screen so that you get two smaller gutters either side, which will give you a more symmetrical image? Change your desktop wallpaper to a 'quieter' colour than blue too?

The 4:3 ratio is pretty much dead in the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

Why not have your windows arranged around the centre of your screen so that you get two smaller gutters either side, which will give you a more symmetrical image? Change your desktop wallpaper to a 'quieter' colour than blue too?

The 4:3 ratio is pretty much dead in the water.

Aesthetics aren't high in my priorities tbh, but no harm in a bit of feng shui for laptops I suppose :). I'll probably just make use of the extra screen space to display the poker lobby and other stuff. What colour(s) would you recommend? - not sure what constitutes a quieter colour :confused:

Yeah 4:3 seems totally dead in the water - I'm just going to have to accept that and move on by the looks of it!

• Advertisement

luckylucky wrote: »
    no harm in a bit of feng shui for laptops

G1F8n.jpg

Advertisement