Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premier League Clubs plan to introduce salary caps.

• 04-11-2012 11:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭

In an upcoming meeting of Premier League Chairmen,they plan to introduce their own version of FFP & want to stop spiralling wages and agents fees.With the new £5 billion tv deal they don't want this cash to end up going into paying sky high wages & fees to agents.
    Premier League owners, including Roman Abramovich and the Glazer family, are close to agreeing a crackdown on players’ wages.

Talks have already taken place between all 20 top-flight clubs about introducing their own version of financial fairplay and a formal outline could be agreed later this month when Premier League chairmen meet in London on November 15.

There is a growing desire among the Premier League’s international owners to keep a big slice of what could be £5billion from the new television deals that start next year, rather than see it all go to players and their agents.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2227488/Roman-Abramovich-Glazers-aiming-stop-footballers-earning-mega-money.html#ixzz2BFWKGKiS

Comments

Probably one of the worst atricles I ever read.

Daily Mail ffs.

An "insider" said...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Not going to happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

An insider told me this won't happen because Premier League officials realise the best players in the league will leave for other countries if it does.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

If it's in the Daily Mail, it must be true.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

In the unlikely event of a salary cap coming in it will be set at current rates, nobody is taking a wage cut.

So the current mad wages aren't going away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

JPA wrote: »
    In the unlikely event of a salary cap coming in it will be set at current rates, nobody is taking a wage cut.

They want restraint on the way wages are rising,it's crazy that clubs like City are offering £300k a week to players.Even United are guilty of this with Rooney & RVP on around £200k a week.

Look what's happened in Malaga with a sugardaddy buying the club & players joining on massive wages,now the owners have lost interest & the club is in the shit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,581 ✭✭✭✭CSF

zerks wrote: »
    They want restraint on the way wages are rising,it's crazy that clubs like City are offering £300k a week to players.Even United are guilty of this with Rooney & RVP on around £200k a week.

Look what's happened in Malaga with a sugardaddy buying the club & players joining on massive wages,now the owners have lost interest & the club is in the shit.
    So the owners want restraint on what they can pay players incase they lose interest?

So like the equivalent of setting a cap on what you can gamble on a website essentially?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,990 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It would great to have a salary cap. It would give clubs who have good youth setups a chance to be competitive under the right manager.

Its never going to happen though sadly and even if it did the cap would be set at a height that most clubs couldn't afford and only protect the big boys against more rich owners coming in.

CSF wrote: »
    So the owners want restraint on what they can pay players incase they lose interest?

So like the equivalent of setting a cap on what you can gamble on a website essentially?

Would you like to see your club go broke after it offers megabucks contracts to players who would piss off somewhere else as soon as things go tits up?

We've seen it happen at the likes of Portsmouth.

I'm all for wanting to see the best players at my club but there has to be a stage where someone has to say "enough is enough".

I know it smacks of greed from owners who give the impression of wanting a bigger slice of the cake,but if I was investing 100's of millions into a club,I'd like to see some kind of financial return.Ignore the romantic notion of owning a club,the bottom line is as usual - money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭General Relativity

I don't know how they're going to get around EU law. As far as I know it's illegal to restrict potential earnings for employees under EU law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Bertser

This would only work if other leagues done it as well, I hope something like this comes in though, there's simply way too much being spent on wages in football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

JPA wrote: »

It would seem to me to be shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

If the money is there, it should got to the players. Rather that than go to directors and owners in dividends.

A cap is a bad Idea. Spending no more than 50% of your turnover, relative to each team, makes more sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Would you like to see your club go broke after it offers megabucks contracts to players who would piss off somewhere else as soon as things go tits up?

He already did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

As if the likes of United, City and Chelsea will sign away their financial advantage. Although I hope it will be enforced on them, pushing them towards leaving the EPL and starting a European Super League.

As if the likes of United, City and Chelsea will sign away their financial advantage. Although I hope it will be enforced on them, pushing them towards leaving the EPL and starting a European Super League.

As with FFP a percentage of turnover system would suit United, Arsenal and a few others, it would crystalise their advantage if anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

I don't know how they're going to get around EU law. As far as I know it's illegal to restrict potential earnings for employees under EU law.

OT but the other week on the sunday supplement or some podcast they were talking about ashley cole supposedly not going to a new two year contract because of his age, similar to what arsenal done in the past

and they were saying that there were layers looking into it (can't remember if for cole or arsenal players) regards ageism laws

probably only a matter of time before someone tries it

batistuta9 wrote: »
    OT but the other week on the sunday supplement or some podcast they were talking about ashley cole supposedly not going to a new two year contract because of his age, similar to what arsenal done in the past

and they were saying that there were layers looking into it (can't remember if for cole or arsenal players) regards ageism laws

probably only a matter of time before someone tries it

United have been doing this for years,makes financial sense not to offer longer contracts to players who may spend most of the time on the bench.

Cole is a greedy fukcer & got the nickname Cashley for good reason.

The playing career is a short one averaging around 15 years and ageism would be a hollow case,it'd be akin to a company offering long term contracts to somebody in their 60's.

United have been doing this for years,makes financial sense not to offer longer contracts to players who may spend most of the time on the bench.

Cole is a greedy fukcer & got the nickname Cashley for good reason.

The playing career is a short one averaging around 15 years and ageism would be a hollow case,it'd be akin to a company offering long term contracts to somebody in their 60's.

yeah it makes financial sense for the clubs but not the players :pac:

it's hard to say what way it'd go i think because they'd argue that their still physically fit enough to do the job + might have a good injury record, which they can prove, the length of the contract their looking for would also be part of it, etc. so i could see it as not being as open shut as you'd think

+ for simplicity, at 30 players around 2/3 into their career, now say someone in another field graduated at 22 & retirement age is 65 then it'd be like not offering them a new contract at 50 - if they could show their still capable of doing that job they'd win the ageism case

Clubs can get away with ageism the same way everyone else does; by not mentioning age at all.

We offer you a one year contract. Why? Because that's all we're willing to offer. Coolio.

• Advertisement

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2250125/Premier-League-chairman-come-closer-implementing-financial-control-rules.html
    Financial control rules to curb football's lavish spending move closer
    By ANDY JAMES
    PUBLISHED: 18:29 GMT, 18 December 2012 | UPDATED: 18:29 GMT, 18 December 2012

English Premier League clubs have moved a step closer to voting on financial controls designed to prevent a new influx of television money from being blown on increased player wages.
    Leaders of the 20 clubs who met in London on Tuesday have asked the Premier League to work on two proposals to ensure that the world’s richest league remains financially stable.
    The first would be modelled on UEFA’s Financial Fair Play (FFP) system and would require clubs to move towards breakeven, while the second would place an annual limit on the how much salaries could increase.
    The support of 14 clubs would be needed for any proposal to be adopted.
    The Premier League is set for a big increase in television revenues from next season when BSkyB and BT will pay a billion pounds ($1.6 billion) per season for domestic TV rights, in a new three-year deal worth 70 percent more than the current one.
    Sales of overseas rights are expected to bring in up to two billion pounds over the next three years.
    Wages use up around 70 percent of revenues at Premier League clubs, leaving very little profit for many of them.

Manchester City last week reported a net loss of almost 100 million pounds in 2011-12 despite winning the top-flight title for the first time in 44 years.
    Clubs like City and Chelsea, who won the Champions League last May, have fabulously wealthy owners who have spent hundreds of millions of pounds on building successful teams.
    UEFA’s FFP rules mean clubs have to curb their losses or risk exclusion from top European club competitions from 2014-15.
    Details of sanctions for breaking any new Premier League curbs have yet to be worked out but current thinking is they should focus on measures like transfer embargoes, rather than points deductions.

another 90 sources since the mail won't be good enough for some :pac: http://www.google.com/news?ncl=dSdWdDzsw0IE_6M5v5_wQav2qVFtM&q=financial+controls+premier+league&lr=English&hl=en

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

It's worked in Rugby so it's definitely do able.
    Bertser wrote: »
    This would only work if other leagues done it as well, I hope something like this comes in though, there's simply way too much being spent on wages in football.

Only PSG, Real, Barca and some Russian clubs could compete with English clubs on wages. Those lads aren't going to sign every player available so not sure it would make a huge difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I'd imagine that if there was some agreement on player wages, then we'd see the money offered for EPL rights change accordingly. Sky are not stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Very Easily. You can set a salary cap based on total turnover/total wages/revenue/total squad size/whatever. As long as you don't have a rule that states explicitly that a single player cannot be paid more than 200K a week then its not illegal, just have a rule like wage expenses cannot be higher that 80% of total turnover or something. As long as its not specific or restrictive to one employee its okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭DoctorGonzo08

Very Easily. You can set a salary cap based on total turnover/total wages/revenue/total squad size/whatever. As long as you don't have a rule that states explicitly that a single player cannot be paid more than 200K a week then its not illegal, just have a rule like wage expenses cannot be higher that 80% of total turnover or something. As long as its not specific or restrictive to one employee its okay.

That is the idea behind the slary cap which is used in the MLS and the AFL in Australia. It works, but there is always was around it. Take Beckham for example, he is on a wage that is in accordance with the salary cap, but also recieved the San Jose Earthquakes franchise, and gets huge percentage of advertising and merchandice sales.
    They want restraint on the way wages are rising,it's crazy that clubs like City are offering £300k a week to players. Even United are guilty of this with Rooney & RVP on around £200k a week.

Where have they being doing that? You do realise that is more than what Messi is on. Even United? They have the highest paid player in the league! And have had that honour for several years. Yet it's only called into question when it is a City or Chelsea player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

But that sort of cap does noting to address the imbalance in the game, it only enhances it

For example Man Utd have a turnover of 10 units per year then can then spend 8 units on wages

Reading on the other hand only have a turnover of 5 units per year and thus can only spend 4 units on wages.

If you want a even playing filed then the only answer is a NFL type hard salary cap where each year all team cannot spend over a give dollar amount on salary.

But it has to be combined with revenue sharing, i.e a portion of the money generated from the sale of a Rooney shirt in the Man Utd shop goes to Reading, and a portion of the Jay Tabb shirt sold in the Reading shop goes to Man Utd.

But that is not easy to implement in Europe as you have competition for players from various different and equal leagues, you don't have that in American Football

bump

batistuta9 wrote: »
    bump

Why?

Why?

Premier League agrees new financial regulations

i don't think there's another thread on it, is there?
    so just keeping it here

• Advertisement
Advertisement