Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting with pets?

Options
  • 04-11-2012 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭

what is the story with renting if you have pets? ads on daft do not stipulate no pets. do you ask the landlord or say nothing and just bring them in? I keep budgies, who create a bit of dust that is easily cleaned especially on a wooden floor. very hard otherwise to rent long term and have quality of life.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

If in doubt ask the landlord prior to signing the lease (which will probably stipulate either way). No sense in causing an issue for yourself down the line.

Budgies shouldnt be an issue either way I wouldnt have thought, unless they make a lot of noise or something? We keep hamsters in an apartment and there are no issues. Its usually only pets that are likely to cause damage/disturbance that are forbidden by landlords.

My budgies I've always just brought into a house without saying anything, as they were caged animals. A cat or dog I would mention to a landlord. Some landlords can be a bit stupid about budgies, think they smell like pigeons, which you and I know, they do not, and are easy enough to keep clean and prevent from doing any damage. Landlords usually found out they were there when they came to visit for some reason or other, but none of them cared.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

If it's an apartment complex check the house rules, notwithstanding what the landlord says. You will be bound by these as well.

Advertisement