Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Another bike downed by car driver

• 04-11-2012 12:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭

Both parties at fault here I think.
    The old biddy driving the car was at fault for pulling across the bikers path and the biker could have avoided her in my opinion if he took evasive action quickly instead of dithering about whether to brake or go around her. He only had 1 or 2 seconds to decide.
    The biker was ok but his brand new yamaha mt01 was totalled. She actually drove up over his bike and continued on her way and had to be waved down by another motorist.
    It's a good case for leaving a camera recording while you're riding I think...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nu7jzKsjs7M

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

Seen a similar uk vid with a cyclist hit by one car then another drives over him and doesn't seem to notice.

They should lose there privilege to drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

It was the drivers fault but it does look like he could have avoided it.

Seem like he was caught in two mindes whether to break or go around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Looks like an insurance scam, there's no reason he couldn't have stopped in time or at the very least avoided the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Zebbedee wrote: »

Well then change the retarded thread title!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I watched and watched it and he had loooooooads of time to stop. He's doing just 20mph and you could see her miles off.

He definitely dropped the MT and then she ran over the wheel. Clearly no idea how to drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Looks like an insurance scam, there's no reason he couldn't have stopped in time or at the very least avoided the car.

I was about to argue this (the insurance scam bit) but then I saw the bit where he said "I've got everything on camera" now I'm not so sure. I don't think that's the first thing anyone would do after an accident.

She was already halfway in his riding lane when he saw her, certainly could have braked, so either he was playing chicken and hoping for the best or it was an insurance scam. That said, she should have seen him, not just looked in his general direction.

If it was an accident it's probably a case of "I've been driving 40 years, I know what I'm doing" as if being able to move a vehicle grants you automatic insight into how to drive well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

And the car driver still drives accross the junction after the impact.Never even got out of the car to see where and how the biker was.

God forbid that the bikers leg,arm of head could had have been under the car.
    Some people really are clueless and dont think.

Biker tried to stop/slam on the brakes as best as he could.The very second the car crosses the central line,the biker is on the brakes. (you can clearly see and hear it in the video)

You can hear the back wheel locking up from hard braking and skidding in the video

I was about to argue this (the insurance scam bit) but then I saw the bit where he said "I've got everything on camera" now I'm not so sure. I don't think that's the first thing anyone would do after an accident.

She was already halfway in his riding lane when he saw her, certainly could have braked, so either he was playing chicken and hoping for the best or it was an insurance scam. That said, she should have seen him, not just looked in his general direction.

If it was an accident it's probably a case of "I've been driving 40 years, I know what I'm doing" as if being able to move a vehicle grants you automatic insight into how to drive well.

HE DID BRAKE...the very second that the car turned accross/over the centre line

Watch and listen carefully to the video again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭Zebbedee

Here's a vid of the damage caused.
    The insurance company did write it off eventually.
    It was only 5 days old.
    Certainly was a crackin lookin bike..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yigkjokAz0s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭positron

It's very simple - the car should not have crossed his lane when he was about to go. If the car driver judged that he could get cross well before the bike get there, they got that wrong, which caused the biker to try and avoid the collision and that didn't help. I bed the car driver would have waited if it was a articulated truck coming down towards them instead of a bike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Looks like an accident which an experienced rider could have very easily avoided. Looked like he had bags of space to take evasive action, and/or apply his brakes to avoid that collision.

Nice weather, clear view ahead and dry clean road.. He'll live and learn.

Hardly any damage to the buy, nice one ~ buy it back from the insurance company at scrap value and hey presto you've a nice bike back on the road at minimal cost plus compo :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Here's a vid of the damage caused.
    The insurance company did write it off eventually.
    It was only 5 days old.
    Certainly was a crackin lookin bike..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yigkjokAz0s

:confused::confused:

Faith+1 wrote: »
    :confused::confused:

Possible frame/structural damage/kinking and too much hassle for insurance company to sort out perhaps?

IF that was the case,then its not noticible from that very short video clip.

Maybe he should have had a shotgun with him and riden his bike like this then???:pac::D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0JMVal0cdY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭Zebbedee

positron wrote: »
    I bed the car driver would have waited if it was a articulated truck coming down towards them instead of a bike.

Well said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

The driver was in the wrong...nuff said..

Having said that, modern bike modern brakes dry road..the biker should have been able to stop..no question..
    The driver was probably blinded by the low sun...check out the shadows...
    In fact they might not even have seen a truck...;)
    Ride like everyone is going to cut you up...:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭ratracer

Whatever about the auld wan driving the car, the biker had loads of time to react and didn't. So either he's a very inexperienced pilot or just a bad pilot. Absolutely no reason for this collision to have happened. He had plenty of time to react. I also agree with an earlier post, the riders comment of 'I have it all on tape' is a very strange reaction, is he trying to intimidate the auld biddy??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

The old biddy driving the car was at fault for pulling across the bikers path and the biker could have avoided her in my opinion if he took evasive action quickly instead of dithering about whether to brake or go around her. He only had 1 or 2 seconds to decide.
    The biker was ok but his brand new yamaha mt01 was totalled. She actually drove up over his bike and continued on her way and had to be waved down by another motorist.
    It's a good case for leaving a camera recording while you're riding I think...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nu7jzKsjs7M

Agree. The biker had plenty of time to emergency brake, or evade. He also should have used his horn which could have stopped her in her tracks.

Cameras on cars,trucks,bikes etc is now a common thing for the purpose of sorting insurance claims.

Its a massive thing in the USA with the insurance firms now.

They (insurance companies) even install dash cams focused on the driver,so they can see if the driver nods of or gets distracted and causes an accident.

So thats why the rider mentioned about having it on camera/tape??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Just looked at that again, the rider actually has little chance to react.

From the time the lady starts her move (@7 secs) the rider applies his brakes right away, you can't hear them but his rev's immediately drop and the collision occures at 9 seconds leaving the rider little time or space to take evasive action.

There's probably less than 50 meters from himself and the lady when she starts her turn, so those with forensic minds can work out the distance and time traveled before the collision and come back with the rides speed :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Did the old bitch even have her indicator on? I can't really see it properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Hope he had ATGATT.............:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

It was the drivers fault but it does look like he could have avoided it.

Seem like he was caught in two mindes whether to break or go around.

Yes he could have avoided it, but then what would he put up on youtube from his fancy camera.
    No way would I get one as they seemm to all have acciddents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

ratracer wrote: »
    I also agree with an earlier post, the riders comment of 'I have it all on tape' is a very strange reaction, is he trying to intimidate the auld biddy??
    Unless shes denied being to blame. Then its perfectly logical to point out the camera.

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Unless shes denied being to blame. Then its perfectly logical to point out the camera.

The elderly lady driver seems to be very confused or in denial of what she did (1 minute 27 seconds onwards).A male voice (at that same time too) seems to also try to start a sentence by saying that somebody (biker or lady driver,dont know???) did something wrong or was somehow in the wrong.

So the motorbiker interupts and says he has everything on camera.

The motorbiker could also be well and truely pi55ed off that she continued to drive off,and over his bike and away from the accident scene,even after the accident had occured.

Hes very lucky that no part of his body was trapped under the bike or worse still,under the car,as she drove off over the bike.:eek::mad:

Thank god the the biker was lucky enough and quick enouigh to get out of the cars way/wheels and get to his feet.

So he was making her and the men aware of the situation by stating that he had it all on video/camera.

Rightly and fairly too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Jasus, how the hell do people think it's the bikers fault?? :confused:
    I'm with paddy147 on this one, the second she looks like she's about to turn he hits the brakes. Obviously that reduces your chance to swerve around her. Old woman shouldn't be driving if she didn't see him, she's 100% to blame here.
    Only way to avoid it was to nail the throttle and try and get past her before she turns!
    KTRIC wrote: »
    I watched and watched it and he had loooooooads of time to stop. He's doing just 20mph and you could see her miles off.

He definitely dropped the MT and then she ran over the wheel. Clearly no idea how to drive.

You're looking at his rev counter ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Her fault entirely but he easily could have avoided it by accelerating through the gap (best idea). Could have stopped if he hit the brakes harder too (although this is harder to do unless you practice it). From 20mph on a modern bike in the dry it takes no length to stop if you apply the brakes as hard as possible.

Still her fault though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Cienciano wrote: »
    Jasus, how the hell do people think it's the bikers fault?? :confused:

A mature rider will always be critical of their own and others actions, to change habits for the better. It doesn't mean he was in the wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭sf80

batman_oh wrote: »
    Her fault entirely but he easily could have avoided it by accelerating through the gap (best idea).

Not the best idea, you'll probably just increase the speed of the impact; you have no idea if the driver will brake, accelerate or maintain speed at that point. Someone merging in on top of you engage warp speed, but a possible impact up ahead scrub off as much speed as you can.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

I'd say he's doing about 60 MPH (dial is the rev counter, not the speedo) which is far too fast on a road like that with lots of exits.

Whether or not the old biddy is at fault is academic (she is BTW - especially driving off) if you're dead or seriously injured.

Advertisement