Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Another bike downed by car driver

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭ratracer

I suppose it's very easy to analyse a video after the event and try to decide the correct course of action to take. Looking at the video, the rider was doing 50 km/h at the time he dropped the bike. Given that the rev counter was at 2000 rpm, accelerating past the car was not going to be an option as he was in the wrong gear and too low down the rev counter for quick acceleration. I do think he could have stopped the bike on his own side of the road close to the white line if he'd went to the right. But again, this would come down to the rider responsiveness/experience/judgement/reaction time.

The car driver was completely in the wrong and luckily the biker got away relatively lightly. It just goes to show that you can never be paying enough attention to all road situations. Treat all drivers as not seeing you!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,411 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

paddy147 wrote: »
    Biker tried to stop/slam on the brakes as best as he could.The very second the car crosses the central line,the biker is on the brakes. (you can clearly see and hear it in the video)

You can hear the back wheel locking up from hard braking and skidding in the video

Maybe he's one of those riders who is so afraid of locking the front brake they don't use it at all or do most of their braking with the rear. That's not appropriate on a dry road when you need to stop quickly.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

ratracer wrote: »
    I do think he could have stopped the bike on his own side of the road close to the white line if he'd went to the right. But again, this would come down to the rider responsiveness/experience/judgement/reaction time.

It looked to me like the driver came out a bit and stopped/slowed, which is when he started to slow, and he went to the left, and she came on out then, which is when he had to try to brake hard/cut to the right, but went down instead.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Raises a question though..........

Should people over a "certain age" be made by law to do a test and have eyesight and hearing tested every 2-3 years or so????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

I read through some of the replies before I watched the vid so maybe my mind was already made up. But I think it does look like a scam. The rider had loads of time to see what was happening and should have at least guessed the car would pull across him. Most bikers have a second instinct.

But what really seems suspect to me is that within seconds of it happening a guy wearing a motorcycle t-shirt stops to help the rider. I can't read the name on the badge but it looks like a motorcycle workshop staff t-shirt. Add to that the fact that the first thing he says is he got it all on camera. I don't know though, maybe I'm just a skeptic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

Here are some of the biker's comments on YouTube regarding the crash. It explains why he did what he did, which sounds reasonable enough to me and keep in mind he obviously was inexperienced on this particular bike (if it was only five days old).

Also explains that that he was doing 45-60km/h after braking and he doesn't sound like he's trying to embellish his injuries.

And I can't imagine that he (or anyone) would do this as an insurance scam. Even a low speed collision with a car and you're taking your life into your own hands.
    Hey all, again thanks for all the wishes, 24hrs on I can say, mild knee pain, whiplash, full body stiffness, seems 40 is not a good age to practice the Kick-n-Roll para-shoot roll on tarmac ;) Thanks all once again for spreading this clip, near 1000 views, if even only one biker reconsidered ATTGAT or his riding style, then it was a win for all us bikers. Keep sharing it, let my loss be someone elses win at least. Ride safe and keep the rubber on the tar.. BOTH sets of rubber ;) Regards Chris
    Thank you all for the wishes and referred mojo. I don't harbour anyone any ill will in this matter. motorcycling by its very definition is a risky business, and no matter how well you prepare yourself the road will throw sick randomness at you. Always ride expecting it. Better yet, do defensive riding courses, especially a track day after buying a new ride. Please feel free to reshare this as much as you like in the right spirit, not to slam the cager, to teach other riders.
    Thank you all.
    I did try that, thinking she would see me and give me gap around left, but halfway in was apparent she still didn't, imminent T-Bone, so tried to flick her up to go around back on right.. 270kg at 45-60km/h does NOT want to be flicked that hard. so. inverted lowside .very difficult to make judgement calls in these scenarios.. get to pick HOW you fall, not IF you fall,. TBONE, Lowside under, or flick into oncoming traffic and take chances.. I am here typing this, so made right choice i hope. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,411 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Here are some of the biker's comments on YouTube regarding the crash.

Did he mention using the front brake at all? :rolleyes:

There's a big thing among cruiser riders in the US about 'laying the bike down' in an impending crash situation like that - preferable to a highside but it's still a collision and unpredictable, if they knew how to use their brakes properly they'd be much better off.

And I can't imagine that he (or anyone) would do this as an insurance scam. Even a low speed collision with a car and you're taking your life into your own hands.

Couldn't agree more, it's just stupid to suggest it was an insurance scam. Nobody in their right mind would deliberately crash a motorcycle in the hope of making money.
    Nobody running a scam would have a cam running either, they'd make sure to have 'reliable' witnesses around but nothing on tape.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

ninja900 wrote: »
    Did he mention using the front brake at all? :rolleyes:

There's a big thing among cruiser riders in the US about 'laying the bike down' in an impending crash situation like that - preferable to a highside but it's still a collision and unpredictable, if they knew how to use their brakes properly they'd be much better off.

Most Harley's don't have breaks or handle well, so they can't avoid crashes as easily as a modern(ish) Euro/Jap machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭batman_oh

sf80 wrote: »
    Not the best idea, you'll probably just increase the speed of the impact; you have no idea if the driver will brake, accelerate or maintain speed at that point. Someone merging in on top of you engage warp speed, but a possible impact up ahead scrub off as much speed as you can.

I'll always try to avoid it and it has saved me a few times thankfully. But i guess having a fast sportsbike helps as it's easy to move and you can get instant acceleration to get you through gaps. On a big slow bike like that you are probably fooked alright

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Syllabus

target fixation imo

he shoulda just got the left knee down and taken the turn she was trying to take and avoided the crash. he wasnt even going that fast

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Syllabus

paddy147 wrote: »
    Raises a question though..........

Should people over a "certain age" be made by law to do a test and have eyesight and hearing tested every 2-3 years or so????

all women over 15, all asians;) over 25 and all men over 50

imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Is everyone reading the rev counter as speed ?

He should have gone straight to the brakes but he wasn't planning ahead so he wasn't constantly evaluating ( if this idiot Turns now ill go right ) ( if that car pulls out ill brake etc)
    I'm afraid that you have to set yourself up that cars are constantly going to cut accross you and that pedestrians are going to run out in front of you

Drive accordingly and plan your escape

But that Disney make it the bikes fault if just means he hasn't learned to decide in advance rather than react . Experiance is very important.

Advertisement