Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pony/Horse Cart question - trying to find a Qunn manufactured one (Galway)

Options
  • 04-11-2012 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all
    I'm more a boards.ie Motors devotee rather than a horse fan, but I'm looking for those of ye in the equestrian world who might be able to help. A quest, if you will... :)

Basically, I work for a company in Athenry - www.quinnrv.com - who are now vehicle & truck manufacturers. However, the family tradition is originally that of blacksmiths, and traces it's roots back 200 years locally. Previous to making items for motorised and tractor transport however, we built horse/pony carts, which were widely sold throughout the West generally.

Now, 'we' haven't made a horse or pony-drawn cart for........50 years ??.....and we are trying to find any example of one the Quinn's made, to get a look at. We are not looking to buy it, we are looking to photograph it and make up a set of drawings with a view to building a one-off model for posterity, and to catalogue a bit of Irish manufacturing history.

At one time, possibly up to early/mid 60's, we were making up to 3 of them a week, so there must be one or two out there, somewhere....

So, a plea to all in the equestrian arena (sic), if you can help us to preserve a piece of local history, I, We, would be very happy to hear from you.

We can look at anything with a view to measuring it - in use, abandoned, damaged etc etc. Like a jigsaw, we can start working on pieces, as we find them.

If you've got any pictures of one, then that would be a great help too.

Finally, if there are other places you can recommend I post for help, please let me know, or feel free to pass on this link/details.

You can get me by PM here, or, directly by email at jmoylan@quinnrv.com

TIA as they say.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement