Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tablet PC for kids.

Options
  • 04-11-2012 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭

Anyone got any experience of Tablet pc's for kids?
    Our 4 yr old boy and his 2 yr old brother love the iPad, but you can see how that'll pan out.

We were thinking of asking Sanity Claus for something. The innotabs and leapster are a wee bit limited in scope and don't have the feel of a regular tablet, so I know they'd get bored with it. They've played with cousins and friends ones, but don't rate them.

I was thinking of getting a cheap android tablet and childproofing it, in so far as this is possible, in terms of hardware and parental control.

I realise that nothing of this nature is really childproof, but I'd rather a cheap android hit the floor than an iPad.

The Meep looks pretty good too but is pricey. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

deadwood wrote: »
    I was thinking of getting a cheap android tablet and childproofing it, in so far as this is possible, in terms of hardware and parental control.

Nabi 2? Not the cheapest kid on the block, but it's rugged with decent hardware under the hood (quad-core Tegra 3, 1 MB RAM, 2 MP webcam, expansion slot, Android ICS), preloaded with kid's stuff and parental control.

Review here.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Arkmar

I'm in the same boat, my 4yr old doesn't seem to want to put my iPad down, she got a LeapPad last yr from Santa, while it entertained her for a little while, it wasn't challenging enough for her considering they are used to hijacking the iPad and laptop I found that the LeapPad wasn't cutting it for her. So this yr I've gotten her the Nabi2, I've had it the last few weeks and I have set it up so it's ready to go on X-Mas morning, really looking forward to it I have to say. Looks like a much better option in my opinion, it is dearer by €50 to the meep but I think the benefits are worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

Thanks for the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,349 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Torqay wrote: »
    Nabi 2? Not the cheapest kid on the block, but it's rugged with decent hardware under the hood (quad-core Tegra 3, 1 MB RAM, 2 MP webcam, expansion slot, Android ICS), preloaded with kid's stuff and parental control.

Review here.
    Endorsed. Nabi 2 is a popular seller, comes loaded with apps and is centered around parental control. Setting it up is idiot-proof with video-based tutorials that play when you power it on for the first time.

The other option of course for your Apple fam is the new iPad Mini that just hit. Little dearer than the Nabi at 329. Nabi however is probably a better choice for very small children, but kids are strangely smart and will probably still gravitate toward your iPad.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭irlpic

Have you looked at this site ?

http://m.lightinthebox.com/list/android-tablets_4781

I was thinking on purchasing from them. Anyone dealt with them before?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Just got the MEEP yesterday for our kid (from Santa), but the guy in Smyths said they had no accessories for it ??!! :eek:
    This would have been handy as her aunts/uncles etc are asking for tips for presents !
    Anyone know where you can source the accessories, ie. bricks-n-mortar shop ?

Advertisement