Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrical cables - which tool needed

Options
  • 04-11-2012 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi,
    We recently built a house, in the "hub" where all the future proofing wires went there are loads of wires, they are not all crimped or labelled. What tool would an electrician use to see where they come out of the wall. What I mean by that is I have one in our bedroom and I want to see which one it is in the hub, both are just cut at the end so how do know which one it is. Is there a tool or piece of equipment for this. Maybe something with a battery one end and a bulb or something the other?!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,133 ✭✭✭✭muffler

The guys in the electrical forum will probably be best suited to answer this so I'll move it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭dtfo

Presuming theyre not connected to the mains strip the cables at both ends. Then at one end, short them individually by twisting together two of the wires then at the other end use a meter to see which one matches and then label. Repeat for all cables.

For example at the cable in your bedroom, making sure the cables are not live, twist the brown and blue together. Then down in the hub using your meter to check if theres continuity, check between all the browns and blues until it "bells"

Hope this makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

Since you mention a hub I assume you are looking at network cabling. You could use a multimeter to buzz out the cables but it would be very time consuming if you have a lot.
    See: Link

for an example of professional cable testers. They are not cheap !

Check Ebay etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

tone and probe tester kit

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

A sonic testers for 20-30 euro in any decent leccy wholesalers will do the job of sonicing out any un-labeled/un-numbered cables.

Its what network technicians/telecoms engineers use to find cables at each end.

• Advertisement

you connect the tone generator to the bedroom wire and use the probe to identify it in the bunch

M cebee wrote: »

I posted pics of it recently and how it works,trying to find them.;):D

i was trying to paste in a link
    it came up on your post anyhow

• Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

easiest thing is to bell them out.
    strip off the end, twist a pair together.
    go to other cables, strip of end, put a multilmeter on noise.
    touch of bards ends of the core that are twisted, when it beeps thats your cable. label, untwist and move on to next cable.

if they are network cables, crimp them all over with a RJ45
    then use one of these, http://dx.com/p/rj45-rj11-network-and-telephone-cable-tester-21241?item=4

get one of these: http://dx.com/p/multi-function-rj11-telephone-and-rj45-network-cable-crimping-tool-with-cable-stripper-18870?item=5

and you can crimp them off youself.

Pic of how it works.

You clip the remote end onto the cable end and switch it onto tone.

When you detect/find the other end of the cable at the "probe" you will hear a high pitched siren type noise and also the red lash will flash on too.

This means that you have found the cable you are looking for.

Use a "sharpie" marker to number both ends of the cable.

Simples.:)

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    touch of bards ends of the core that are twisted, when it beeps thats your cable. label, untwist and move on to next cable.

then use one of these, http://dx.com/p/rj45-rj11-network-and-telephone-cable-tester-21241?item=4

get one of these: http://dx.com/p/multi-function-rj11-telephone-and-rj45-network-cable-crimping-tool-with-cable-stripper-18870?item=5

You dont even need to use a crimper,RJ45 or RJ11 crimps to sonic them....(time consuming and extra work just for the sake of finding some unmarked cables)

See pics above and below.;)

You also need to know the colour code for crimping RJ45 plugs in standard format ...(different if crossover format).

Standard.....

White Orange
    Orange
    White Green
    Blue
    White Blue
    Green
    White Brown
    Brown.

they're not really the easiest ways
    you're creating extra work there with the multimeter or crimping

• Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

M cebee wrote: »
    they're not really the easiest ways
    you're creating extra work there with the multimeter or crimping

If there network cables they might aswell be crimped. That's my logic.

If there network cables they might aswell be crimped. That's my logic.

Fcuk all use if they have to be punched down onto a patch panel,or hard wired onto a Krone/110 frame or block.;)

Fcuk all use aswell if its power cables and not cat5e/cat6 cables.

Also the OP would not be experienced to do this (crimping/testing),as it takes some skill to get it right.

Keep things simple for the OP so that he/she can "find" the cables at each end.

Advertisement