Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Starter Bike help

• 04-11-2012 1:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hi lads

Ive decided to get a motorbike for college. Im 19 and im looking for something that will get me to college and back! 2 stroke or 4stroke doesnt really matter but id like 2 stroke for a bit of fun(not acting the idiot of course), but insurance is the main factor for me! Obviously ive taken into consideration of costs like gear, IBT, licence and taking care of the bike.

Just wondering could ye recommend a few bikes that would be cheap insurance and good reliability. Thanks in advance lads :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

Speedy199 wrote: »
    Hi lads

Ive decided to get a motorbike for college. Im 19 and im looking for something that will get me to college and back! 2 stroke or 4stroke doesnt really matter but id like 2 stroke for a bit of fun(not acting the idiot of course), but insurance is the main factor for me! Obviously ive taken into consideration of costs like gear, IBT, licence and taking care of the bike.

Just wondering could ye recommend a few bikes that would be cheap insurance and good reliability. Thanks in advance lads :)

Honda CBR250 or Ninja 250R are both commonly recommended bikes for beginners. I still have my Ninja. Agile, light, reliable and forgiving!

You'd probably find a CBR for a bit cheaper than a Ninja with the same year/mileage/condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Duffah

rat_race wrote: »
    Honda CBR250 or Ninja 250R are both commonly recommended bikes for beginners. I still have my Ninja. Agile, light, reliable and forgiving!

You'd probably find a CBR for a bit cheaper than a Ninja with the same year/mileage/condition.

Unlikely you'll get insured on a Ninja, not cheaply anyway, Liberty won't insure you on a Ninja til you're 21 same for a CBR250rr. The only Cbr250 they'll insure you on is the new one and you obviously aren't going to buy that if you're a student. I'd recommend a DT125/DT125R, was my first bike and once it's over 6500rpm it rips along.. You'll quickly outgrow a 125 4stroke, so I'd say a 125 2stroke or a non-racey 250 4stroke.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 rowz

How much do you want to spend?
    I have a Suzuki GN 125 i wish to part with.
    Great little bike for a learner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Speedy199

Thanks for the replies lads! I cant afford a ninja! Cbr 250 would be great but I researched insurance and they aren't too friendly! I'd say a 125 looks possible!
    Ive seen those dt125! Looks like a mental bike! Quick bikes!
    Those GN125 look cool! A few 125s I was looking at is NSR 125, XR125, YBR 125 and a Hyosung XRX 125(supermoto). Must do a few insurance quotesand see whats the most friendly!.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bhmm

Well lads. Im 17 and dont know anything about bikes. If I were to get a aprilla 125 how much wud insurance be nd a life in the country side

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭designbydan

bhmm wrote: »
    Well lads. Im 17 and dont know anything about bikes. If I were to get a aprilla 125 how much wud insurance be nd a life in the country side

Well this is an old thread you're bumping here,

But I'll answer the same that I've noticed everyone else does for this question.

Ask the insurance companies.
    Both AON and Liberty have online forms that will give you a "rough" idea of the price, you'll get it for a lot cheaper if you actually ring up everyone and bargain with then.

Don't be afraid to tell each company the quotes you got from the other ones, they may match or beat each others quotes.

Advertisement