Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Declan Walsh

Options
  • 04-11-2012 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭

At least some of you will recognise the name so probably know what happened. For those who dont, Declan was a Maths lecturer (and a very good one at that) who passed away this past week. AFAIK, he was only 37.

Having had him for Maths this semester it came as quite a shock. He hadnt been in for a few weeks and we were told he was in hospital. That didnt make it any less of a shock when we were told about it though. There didnt appear to be much wrong with him but you can never really tell until it's too late.

RIP Declan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭lledlledlled

Absolutely brilliant maths lecturer and one of the funniest guys you could meet. Really sound person who'd always stop for a chat. Really hard to understand this news. It's becoming a real problem in Ireland. I hope taboos about depression will be broken down eventually and people will discuss it rather than attempt to hide it. RIP Dec.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭theGavin

I'm surprised that the college hasn't mentioned anything on their website, or even on their Facebook page.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

A guy who's doing his second course in the college said that he was the biggest legend going. A sounds guy and a great lecturer. I didn't have pleasure of having him as a lecturer but it's always sad to see someone go so young. Does anyone know what happened him?

RIP!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 delboy101

Declan and I both studied Applied Physics in DCU many years ago. I haven't seen him since then and only found out the shocking news yesterday. I will remember Declan as one of the most lively, funny and friendly guys I ever met. He was also a bit of a gym nut at the time, hitting the weights almost every day.

I am surprised by how much this news has affected me, given how long it has been since I saw Declan. But I guess a friend is always a friend and nobody likes to lose a friend in this way :(

RIP Declan

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Johnggl

I knew Declan through Primary,secondary and college. He was one of my few best friends. Always made me laugh, funny stuff always seemed to happen to him. I always remember him being sent to clean up after sucking on his biro too much and having a mouthfull of ink (this happened 3 or 4 times in 1st year in SKC).

Always loved heading down for a few pints on a sat night to Caislean and having a chat or walking back from the rugby club disco's.

He will be missed by everyone who loved him, knew him or heard of him.

Declan RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭pearsquasher

Sorry for this late reply. I only found out about this last week. I'm shocked and saddened even though I only knew Declan over 10 years ago in DCU. We shared a flat for a while after that and then drifted as friends. It's given me a little comfort to find out he was much thought of in his job in IT Tallaght.

We were great friends in DCU and he introduced me to the STOCS society and .. yes he was a gym nut and I tagged along for a bit. Many's a time he put me up in his DCU res. He was a gentle soul and always the clown but also very very bright. Except for that time he stole a bollard on the way to a party, got grabbed my the cops and promptly arrived 4 hours late to the party after they let him go after 10 mins, and he turned the wrong way out the station door.....:)

RIP Declan

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

A great lecturer. I instantly liked Declan and we used to have great craic in the class with him.
    One of the soundest people I ever spoke to and really helpful.
    Awful news that he passed away :(
    RIP

Advertisement