Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starbucks in the Uni

Options
  • 04-11-2012 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know whereabouts on the campus this is? And can a 'non-student ordinary member of the public' just wander around the campus looking for it?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Yes. Yes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

It's not starbucks, it's just smokey's using starbucks beans, you can buy them in tesco yourself if you are really that pushed about drinking over priced burnt coffee beans.

Way to disappoint a Starbucks fanatic, seaneh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

They do have the turbo steam nozzles that Starbucks use, and the Irish Coffee Latte is awesome in there.

Best coffee in Galway is definately Insomnia.

dmcg90 wrote: »
    They do have the turbo steam nozzles that Starbucks use, and the Irish Coffee Latte is awesome in there.

It's just a normal latte steamer like you'd get on any espresso machine...

• Advertisement

Seaneh wrote: »
    It's just a normal latte steamer like you'd get on any espresso machine...

The big long black extension things?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

snubbleste wrote: »
    Way to disappoint a Starbucks fanatic, seaneh
    I don't think a "Starbucks fanatic" will have a much of a problem with disappointment.

dmcg90 wrote: »
    The big long black extension things?

It's just a steamer...
    They just don't have a steam pressure control, it's automated pressure, so they only have to make sure they don't burn the milk.

It doesn't make any difference to how the milk comes out, just makes it a little more idiot proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Ah, thanks for the comments. I thought it was a full on Starbucks, that's the impression the article gave that I googled. But if it's just that they're using the same beans then I won't bother. Seems a bit odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭I_smell_fear

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    Ah, thanks for the comments. I thought it was a full on Starbucks, that's the impression the article gave that I googled. But if it's just that they're using the same beans then I won't bother. Seems a bit odd.

It's an 'odd world' we live in. Cat Stevens even wrote a song about it, then Aslan ripped it off.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Tranceypoo wrote: »

The most fickle post in the history of the internet right there ^^^^^

Same beans.

The coffee they produce is the same coffee.

But it isn't poured into a paper cup with the multinational corporate logo of Starbucks printed on it so you "won't bother" with it.

I've seen slaves to brand names, designer clothing and and know people who refuse to buy one brand of bottled tap water over another.

But the above post is just ridiculous beyond belief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

If you do venture to NUIG - try a flat white in the IT Building. ;)

I wonder would flat whites sell as much as they do if they were just called a double latte

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

Lapin wrote: »

The most fickle post in the history of the internet right there ^^^^^

Same beans.

But it isn't poured into a paper cup with the multinational corporate logo of Starbucks printed on it so you "won't bother" with it.

I've seen slaves to brand names, designer clothing and and know people who refuse to buy one brand of bottled tap water over another.

Sheesh. Give the OP a break.
    So what if he likes the actual coffee shop as opposed to getting a cup of the stuff from a different non-Starbucks coffee house!

I love the Tommy Hilfiger brand and prefer to shop in the Tommy store as opposed to the small section they have in Brown Thomas! Same thing!

The Starbucks coffee shops have merchandise, own-brand snacks and different varieties of teas and coffees that you can't get in Smokey's!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

Sheesh. Give the OP a break.
    So what if he likes the actual coffee shop as opposed to getting a cup of the stuff from a different non-Starbucks coffee house!

I love the Tommy Hilfiger brand and prefer to shop in the Tommy store as opposed to the small section they have in Brown Thomas! Same thing!

The Starbucks coffee shops have merchandise, own-brand snacks and different varieties of teas and coffees that you can't get in Smokey's!!

They have the Starbucks cups, the chocolates, the Frappuchinos, the tazo teas and all that stuff so it's pretty close to offering what the Starbucks stores do. I still prefer the student union coffee from smokeys upstairs or the shop, plus it's cheaper and bought off a company in Ballybane - Puro coffee.

Plus one little thing, it's not smokeys that run it, it's campbell catering (aramark food services) same people who run the subway and the canteen counter.

yer man! wrote: »
    They have the Starbucks cups, the chocolates, the Frappuchinos, the tazo teas and all that stuff so it's pretty close to offering what the Starbucks stores do. I still prefer the student union coffee from smokeys upstairs or the shop, plus it's cheaper and bought off a company in Ballybane - Puro coffee.

Plus one little thing, it's not smokeys that run it, it's campbell catering (aramark food services) same people who run the subway and the canteen counter.

They don't have star bucks couches, they don't have the cake pops or pastries, they don't have half of the drink choices, they don't have the teas, they don't have a lot of the stuff that make starbucks starbucks.

They don't have star bucks couches, they don't have the cake pops or pastries, they don't have half of the drink choices, they don't have the teas, they don't have a lot of the stuff that make starbucks starbucks.
    I never said it was a Starbucks store did I? it's a counter selling the Starbucks coffee.... ya know, the stuff that supposedly made Starbucks famous....

I never said it was a Starbucks store did I? it's a counter selling the Starbucks coffee.... ya know, the stuff that supposedly made Starbucks famous....

no, it's cafe selling coffee made from the beans, and thats it.

Starbucks is popular for their coffee based drinks like Frappuccino's and iced lattes, their big comfy couches, their pasteries, their coffee cups the size of your head.

Their coffee itself is actually pretty **** coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Coffee Snobs in Galway eh?..I'm shocked!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Starbucks café's have a huge range of coffees. The big ones in the US usually have a coffee of the day. Their coffee varies depending on how the beans were roasted too, although they do in general, have a reputation for overroasting (the espresso roast generally), that isn't always the case.
    Same with any chain, sh*t reputation will come down to a lot of things like where the beans are (over) roasted, staff burning the milk, machines not being cleaned properly (stale coffee), staff not trained to pull each type correctly, un-comfiness of the shop etc.

• Advertisement

Starbucks is popular for their coffee based drinks like Frappuccino's and iced lattes, their big comfy couches, their pasteries, their coffee cups the size of your head.

Starbucks coffe is crap and overpriced anyway, as another poster said earlier - insomnia is way better.

Starbucks is crap anyway, as another poster mentioned earlier - insomnia is way better. Pity they aren't that common.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

"I wonder would flat whites sell as much as they do if they were just called a double latte!

Lot of debate about that statement. don't agree myself but i'm just an espresso or Americano/talk black (slight difference) with no sugar person.

http://www.coffeehunter.org/what-is-a-flat-white/

Starbucks is crap anyway, as another poster mentioned earlier - insomnia is way better. Pity they aren't that common.

I used to be a huge Starbucks fan but I realised that I just kept adding more sugars or syrups to compensate for the lack of.. taste in the coffee.

Insomnia make lovely coffees and their latte microfoam is actually very good. As a now ex-barista, Insomnia get my vote.

where is insomnia in galway?

It's hidden inside a bookstore!

aaaaaaaaaaaahhhh, yes, in easons in the shopping centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Lapin wrote: »
    The most fickle post in the history of the internet right there ^^^^^ Thanks!!

Same beans.

Listen, it's only coffee so no need to have an eppy over it, I happen to like Starbucks coffee and branding....why would you care?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

I wonder would flat whites sell as much as they do if they were just called a double latte

No, double lattes are for girls... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

topcat77 wrote: »
    "I wonder would flat whites sell as much as they do if they were just called a double latte!

Lot of debate about that statement. don't agree myself but i'm just an espresso or Americano/talk black (slight difference) with no sugar person.

http://www.coffeehunter.org/what-is-a-flat-white/

Where I worked it was just a regular latte (two shots) in a small cup, so a latte with less milk/a double small latte.

Quite popular though. Personally I can't stand milk in coffee.

Advertisement