Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live in Caregiver Programme Canada

Options
  • 04-11-2012 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi

Just looking for some information on the Live in Caregiver Programme in Canada. If you are a live in caregiver or plan to be, any feedback would be great. Is the application process difficult?, the pros and cons etc..

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 V8_man

For an Irish person, you probably wouldn't make any money. Here in BC it's mostly used by people from even more bankrupt countries than ours.
    You need to be sponsored by an employer, although if it goes sour you are not trapped in a contract, as I think you would have 2 or 3 months to find a new employer before your visa expires.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭bstar

I know of people who use it to help bring friends over here in Edmonton. on the facebook groups you see people looking for people who they can help bring over.

Also its pretty strictly regulated here so you have to get paid a decent amount. I don't know anything about the application process though.

I would try joining facebook groups like Irish in Calgary, Irish in Edmonton, British expats in edmonton etc and ask on there if people are looking for anyone it might start for you.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/faq/work/index.asp#caregiver

• Registered Users Posts: 44 V8_man

bstar wrote: »
    I know of people who use it to help bring friends over here in Edmonton. on the facebook groups you see people looking for people who they can help bring over.

Really? then they should be reported, in the same way any immigration fraud should. The system does not exist so people can "use it to help bring friends over here".

http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/workplaceskills/foreign_workers/caregiver/description.shtml
    The process takes a long time and costs money (see also link below)
    bstar wrote: »
    Also its pretty strictly regulated here so you have to get paid a decent amount. I don't know anything about the application process though.

Minus whatever the employer decides to charge you for room and board. Rents are high in the areas where the people who use the programme live. The primary reason for the programme is that it enables people who are willing to do without a rental suite to bring someone from overseas who will work for cheap for a few years until they can get permanent residence. Why any Irish person would do this when they can get a job in any EU country is beyond me.

And if you do think you can get yourself hired and then disappear and get another job, the employer who planned to hire you can take legal action against you to get their money back:
    http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who-caregiver.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭bstar

V8_man wrote: »
    Really? then they should be reported, in the same way any immigration fraud should. The system does not exist so people can "use it to help bring friends over here".

They are bringing people over who meet the criteria and are doing it by the book, the fact that they know the person they hire before hand doesn't make it fraud.

Yes the pay is minus room and board but this is regulated to be sure you are being charged the rent at the level you would pay in the area anyway, so I don't see how it would affect your salary much more than paying rent would.

Advertisement