Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puberty age

Options
  • 04-11-2012 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Just wondering when I should be talking to my daughter about periods etc. she is just 9, no sign of developing yet but is very tall for her age. Does the age when girls get their periods go on height, weight or neither. Not keen to tell her everything at this stage but wondering about the periods part. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

She should definitely know about periods now. Buy a book (search amazon for ideas) and read it together. There are very good age appropriate ones out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Thumby

It def doesn't go on height/weight etc. I'm 4'9 now at the age of 31 so you can imagine how teeny i was at age 9. Which btw is when i got my first period, so yeah i would def be having "the chat". :-) good luck with it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Have the chat, you'll have to do it anyway so might as well get in there now. Give her a supply of towels so if it happens she won't be caught out.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭snor

God - seems so young - still believing in Santa and having to talk to her about periods! She is showing absolutely no sign of developing - surely there would have to be some development before getting her period? I cannot remember back that far!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Thumby

I know snor, it's difficult deciding when to have that chat. From what i can remember i didn't show many if any signs of getting my period before i did. My son who is turning 13 hit puberty at the age of ten, he started growing hairs (and not just ect (sorry if that's tmi) and is just on his face either) he's currently in full throws of it now, the moody little git. Obsessing over needing to shave his tash now lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

I think 9 is a bit young. But then I never had the talk with my mum, I learned everything out of a few books from the library (proper ones). You know her best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

I was around 10 when I hit puberty... my mam had me well prepared and I'm glad she did.
    When my mam got her first period she thought she was dying, she literally had no idea what was going on.

Another girl I know had a daughter who was given wrong information about puberty and periods etc, and was pretty freaked out by it.
    I think it's definitely a better idea to talk her through it yourself so you know she knows what's going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I think it's good time to start having informal chats with her and looking for clues in her that will give you opportunities; does she notice sanitary products at home, or being popped in the trolley, ads on telly? Preparation and knowledge is key, and equipping her with the age appropriate basics will be good for her.

Usborne do some great easy read books with cute pictures: ye could read a few pages together; giving time for it to process. I used a book and gave my sister little post it notes for pages she had questions on after we finished the book; so she could flick it open and ask a question..

I see girls who are 9 and 10 and have periods already, which is hard, but because many girls are now having them early, they are now talking about them earlier too...preparing a little purse with a pad or two in her bag in the coming months is reassuring to a little mind too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

http://www.healthpromotion.ie/health/inner/busy_bodies

I don't think 9 is too young, better they know before it all kicks off and then hopefully will be less bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

Hi, I keep having the same conversation in my head as u....when to have "the chat" and how to preserve Santa .....
    there is a very good website www.funkygoddess .......u can buy a special pack for first timers.....kind of a girly
    present to take the offense from the occasion......best of luck..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Piper101

God! It's so scary isn't it but 9 seems to be an average enough age for girls hitting puberty in the last few years. When I got mine I was 13 and that was pretty much the norm 20 years ago. Maybe start making her aware of it slowly. I had a sister a few years older than me who had no qualms about discussing getting her period. Start referring to yours and encourage her to ask questions. That's if it isn't too uncomfortable for you.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I think you'll probably find that she already knows a lot of stuff... Little girls tend to talk among themselves about this sort of thing..

I found out most things in the playground long before my Mother ever got round to telling me.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭snor

Thanks a million to all who replied.
    Think I will have a little talk to her after Christmas - little by little. Poor kid does not even know how babies come out of a woman's body! I still feel she is so young - like that I was 13 way back then and my friends of similar age. It seems they are so young getting them nowadays as it is a big thing for them and a lot to deal with!

I had actually got the book you recommended Sharrow - it's very good and explains everything very well and in simple language - forgot I got it when it was launched about 2 years ago. Great ideas on that website Outdoorlass - might order the cute teen pack or else pick up a few little things i know she would like and maybe put them in a little keepsafe box for her. Just in case anyone is checking it out its funkygoddess.ie (.com will give you a website on retro clothing!!)

Cannot believe I have reached this stage with her - seems like only yesterday she was a baby - how time flys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

I'd agree with your decision to tell her after Christmas. I hit puberty at 8 and within a month had grown breasts and gotten my period. My mum hadn't told me about periods at that age, and I thought I was bleeding to death (typical over-dramatic child :pac: ). I'm sure if you look at the books the other posters have mentioned, and speak to your daughter, you can mention it in as tactful a way as possible. You never really know when she'll hit puberty, so it's always best to give her the knowledge so that it doesn't shock her if it happens any time soon. :)

Advertisement