Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you didn't drink...

Options
  • 04-11-2012 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

...how do you think it would have affected your love life past and present?

As a sub question, how would your answer differ from your experiences abroad.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

I probably wouldn't have had the balls to approach the girls that I did.
    I am more confident now but it really did help a few years back.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I don't drink and haven't had any trouble with the opposite sex.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

If i drank and went abroad (i'm guessing that's what you're saying) and sat by a pool all day i'd now be a fcukwit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

Twould be like last night great but a train wreck. Nothing gets done in the nightclub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

If I didn't drink, I most likely would not have gotten married for the second time and most likely have stayed married in the first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

It gives you courage, albeit Dutch courage. But courage nontheless. I don't really need it now, but when yer only a young lad, it has to be said, alcohol does help.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭some random drunk

If I didn't drink I don't think it would have affected my love life much. Maybe one or two one night stands might not have happened but that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I'm not Quasimodo and I'm not that shy and bashful or an asrehole but I've very little luck with the opposite sex.

When I discuss this with friends, they always say the same thing: 'start drinking'.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,433 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

If I didn't drink I wouldn't have embarrassed myself dancing last night.
    Oh the shame!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Dean09 wrote: »
    If I didn't drink I wouldn't have embarrassed myself dancing last night.
    Oh the shame!

You also wouldn't have any interesting stories. :D
    They would all end in ". . .and then I got home"

Heartlessly stolen from Jim Jefferies.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

cantdecide wrote: »
    I'm not Quasimodo and I'm not that shy and bashful or an asrehole but I've very little luck with the opposite sex.

When I discuss this with friends, they always say the same thing: 'start drinking'.

i have a hunch you're gay. ba dum tish!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Itzy wrote: »
    I don't drink and haven't had any trouble with the opposite sex.

Haha. I know it doesnt mean anything .. But what you said is funny seeing as how it says you are the mod of the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender forum :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

pmcmahon wrote: »
    i have a hunch you're gay. ba dum tish!

Don't make me do it, man. Don't make me crack a 'yore ma' joke. I'm begging you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Dehydration would be a killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

I wouldn't be sitting here now depressed to death, not just blaming the drink but it played a huge part to get me in this dark place I am now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

My relationship with one ex probably wouldn't have ended so soon.We used to get baloobas together and have massive rows (we're both Irish). I probably wouldn't have slept with some of the less than attractive men I slept with. I probably wouldn't have had the courage to approach one or two of my exes in the past if I wasn't pissed as well. Overall though, bar the rows with the ex, it was a positive experience in my life and helped me have lotsa fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

If you're slightly tipsy you will lose inhibitions, a lot of guys can be really funny when tipsy and humour is more likely to attract a girl. If you're sober you may be more self conscious and appear 'awkward'.

There's no point drinking just to attract girls though. Just practise and you'll get more confident starting conversations. The smoking area is a great place, I know guys wko don't smoke, but they carry lighters and offers girls a light when they are rooting through their bags looking for their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Oh probably wouldn't have been with half the guys I've had dalliances with. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

It's definitely a boon when you're a young lad facing new uncertainties and challenges in a pub or club. It gives you that bit of social lubrication and a strong sense of comradery with your peers when you're young enough to be excited by that kind of thing.
    What I'm saying is that getting a bit legless helps you find your legs better in the first place, and as long as it's not overall damaging then it is great fun and no harm going over board a bit here and there. Life's for living and all that.
    I was on the shy side but for better or worse having a few definitely got me out there more and it's helped in the long run I think. It's a learning curve in and of itself and gives a bit of life experience when it comes to different things. I'm rambling on with some quasi-romantic rubbish now so I'll stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I think this is my first weekend this year without drinking and I feel great.
    Nowadays 3days drinking takes me 3days to get over. I'm far more alert and self assured when I don't drink. I actually think it contributes to destroying your confidence once the short term effects have worn off. Even once it has worn off the hangover leaves me it a very strange mood. Even on boards I think if you look at my posts on a lot of Sunday evenings they're fairly sketchy.
    I won't even start about the withdraw process goes!
    Anyway, my life without alcohol would be a lot better anyway.
    I actually think it's boring, yet it's the culture here almost, which shouldn't really be a cop out but the boredom of not being able to do much else on a Saturday night because everyone is out drinking leads to a horrible cycle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭lisatiffany

I don't drink, how did it affect my love life? been with my guy 3 years and haven't drank then either, he has the odd one now and then but it doesn't bother me if people drink. Unless of course someone gets pis#ed and starts coming onto you, that gets old quick, I work on a lot music gigs and any of the ones that serve drink always come with at least one person locked into a state of stupidity. The difference is, drinking to get comfortable enough to ask someone out, and not drinking so much that you will go home with the leg of a pool table.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Neewbie_noob

...how do you think it would have affected your love life past and present?

As a sub question, how would your answer differ from your experiences abroad.

Still would be with my amazing beautiful girlfriend, as I was sober when we "met" ;) Love you S****** xxxxx♥♥

• Registered Users Posts: 12,433 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Still would be with my amazing beautiful girlfriend, as I was sober when we "met" ;) Love you S****** xxxxx♥♥

*puke

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Wouldn't have affected my relationships a whole lot, maybe one past one wouldn't have happened. No harm in that :p

I for sure wouldn't have any notches in the belt of "random dancefloor kisses."

I won't go into detail of my undergrad semester abroad, but it would have been a lot different without drink :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

I'd probably still be a virgin if I didn't drink. It's the only thing that makes me comfortable with being naked with someone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

I think it's fair to say if not-drinking would have a dramatic impact on your life, you probably should stop drinking.

There would have been a few more nights I'd remember and few less girls I'd fooled around with.

Life wouldn't be much different.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Reads thread. Has realisation. Considers abstinence.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i'd have higher standards

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭sunrise91

I'd never have sent all those drunk texts.. Lord, the shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

I wouldn't have said the sentence 'This has never happened before, I must have drank too many pints' to at least three women

Advertisement