Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An tEarrach Thair

• 04-11-2012 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I got this question for homework on the poem "An tEarrach Thair" by Máirtín Ó Diréain and i have no idea how to answer it. Its honours irish for the Leaving Cert.

"Baineann an file Máirtín Ó Diréain úsáíd éifeachtach as íomhanna agus as fuaimeanna chun a bhfuil ina chroí istigh a nochtadh dúinn sa dán "An tEarrach Thair". Do Thuairim féin"

I'm sorta ok with the 'fuaimeanna' part but not the 'íomhanna' so if anyone could help me that would be great :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

íomhánna means imagery, so for a poem it's how images are described so that you can visualise them in your head.

Look for parts in the poem where he describes stuff that you can visualise, but the question says that the images (íomhánna) and sounds (fuaimeanna) are used to describe what's in his heart.

I think the first verse he talks about the man cleaning dirt from his spade "Sa gciúnas shéimh" or "in the mellow silence". I think he means mellow as being more gentle rather than sad, it's a peaceful and relaxed silence, so you could say he feels at peace in this silence.

He then says that the sound is musical "Binn an fhuaim"; I think it's his way of saying that the sound of the man working is like music to his ears, in what is otherwise peaceful silence.

In the second verse he uses lots of visuals such as the red seaweed (an fheamainn dhearg) shining in the sunshine (Ag lonrú I dtaitneamh gréine) on a white beach (Ar dhuirling bháin). He finishes this by saying that this is a brillinat sight (Niamhrach an radharc). This kind of scene is what he truly enjoys looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 RachelO167

Thanks a million :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12 RachelO167

Another question on the same poem.

Cén éifeacht a bhaineann le teideal an dán?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

'Thiar' means 'West', but in this context it means 'back home'. The title means '(The) Spring(time) back home'. It suggests the author is away from home. This is how Irish speakers refer to home when they are away.

The question asks about what effect the title has; I'm not sure of any effect it has other than suggesting the author is away from home. We can probably assume things like he misses home or he'd like to see spring at hone but from the title alone I don't think we can say much for sure.

Advertisement