Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fat 40GB PS3 dies a death.

Options
  • 04-11-2012 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭

My original fat PS3 is starting to give me the red light thing. It will work away until a disc is ran and then will just shut down.

Since she is pretty old, I don't think it's worth repairing.

What is the best new one to get or is there a difference? And what is the best way to transfer data from old to new?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

My original fat PS3 is starting to give me the red light thing. It will work away until a disc is ran and then will just shut down.

Since she is pretty old, I don't think it's worth repairing.

What is the best new one to get or is there a difference? And what is the best way to transfer data from old to new?

Many thanks.

There are two models about at the moment, slim and super slim.
    Argos have a deal(ends nov. 13th) - 500GB Super Slim and three free games, GT5, LBP2, FIFA13 and 90 days free PS+ for €318.
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9124310/Trail/searchtext%3EPS3.htm

There are other offers in the link with different end dates.

As for transferring data, easily done with an ethernet cable connecting the two PS3s.
    There is a transfer data utility on the PS3 that goes step by step on the process(can take a few hours).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

F1ngers wrote: »
    There are two models about at the moment, slim and super slim.
    Argos have a deal(ends nov. 13th) - 500GB Super Slim and three free games, GT5, LBP2, FIFA13 and 90 days free PS+ for €318.
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9124310/Trail/searchtext%3EPS3.htm

There are other offers in the link with different end dates.

As for transferring data, easily done with an ethernet cable connecting the two PS3s.
    There is a transfer data utility on the PS3 that goes step by step on the process(can take a few hours).

or just take out the hard drive and put the old one in :D:)

Snowie wrote: »
    or just take out the hard drive and put the old one in :D:)

Doesn't work that way.
    HD is married to PS3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Doesn't work that way.
    HD is married to PS3.

No I replaced it on my phat ps3 to 250 gig one before slim lines are the same there's a little catch at the bottem you pop open on screw and slide the slider out and then pull te hard drive gage out simples !!

And what is the best way to transfer data from old to new?
    Snowie wrote: »
    No I replaced it on my phat ps3 to 250 gig one before slim lines are the same there's a little catch at the bottem you pop open on screw and slide the slider out and then pull te hard drive gage out simples !!

OP asked about transferring data from original PS3 to new PS3 - did not ask about swapping HD.

OP, if you have PS+, you can back up all your saves on the cloud, then just pop your new HD into the console, log in and all your saves will be there.
    You will lose any install data, but that's easily sorted by running the game again.
    Photos/music etc can be backed up to external HD/USB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Thanks for the info lads.

So, I decided to leave the 40GB alone so it would work when I wanted to do the transfer. Bought a 500GB slim one. Bring it back, get ready for the transfer and the 40GB give me the yellow light and would not start, How's my luck ? :p

I searched google and did the hair dryer thing and it actually worked long enough for me to do the transfer :D. Down side is, I have 2 PSN accounts that are 5+ years old, with email addresses that are long defunct and passwords long forgotten :p Thats a problem for another day though.

My thoughts on the 500GB so far are, it's cheap, everything about it screams cheap. From the machine itself, by how it feels, to the controller. Feels lighter and more "plastic" then the original one I have.

It is also load, you can hear the disc spin away like a mad thing. Not something I was ever aware of with my 40GB and it used to sit out in the middle of the floor. The slim is going to have to be pushed under the TV.

Good things, Looooooooads of space. I am not one to change hd's or the like so the 40gb used to break my balls on space.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Down side is, I have 2 PSN accounts that are 5+ years old, with email addresses that are long defunct and passwords long forgotten :p Thats a problem for another day though.

You can email Sony on this and they should be able to help you out, my friend had a similar issue and they sorted it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Polar101

Does this copy ALL saves or do they need to be backed up in the PS+ cloud service?

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Polar101 wrote: »
    Does this copy ALL saves or do they need to be backed up in the PS+ cloud service?

I haven't noticed any missing saves after I joined both ps together.

Polar101 wrote: »

Transferring data by ethernet cable copies everything over.

• Advertisement
Advertisement