Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.17 cleaning gear,

Options
  • 04-11-2012 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

Hi folks.. Just a quick one to pick your brains..

Ive been looking at .17 hmrs the last while and in my travels ive heard rumours that they are a bugger to clean and GOOD cleaning gear as in in rods etc are hard to get,,

What do you find the selection like and how easy/difficult are they to clean..???
    thanks.. Bob..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

You could get one of these. use one for my .22/12g/3030 and it works great.:)
    http://www.team-alpha.ie/accessories-1/weapon-accesories/weapon-cleaning-kits/small-caliber-micro-cleaning-kit.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

The only cleaning my hmr has ever gotten is a pull through of a bore snake every few hundred rounds and it still shoots better than ever.
    Ive to be careful not to yank the bore snake though cos the string is too thing and if you yank it instead of a smooth pull it could snap.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭hrcbob

See thats what is be afraid of garv,, How the hell would you go about getting something out of a bore that small if you got it stuck..
    Id imagine even a smith would struggle wit that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Thats why i dont do it so often but with a gentle constant pull its not too difficult to pull it all the way through just have to be extra careful when the whole cleaning bit of the snake is inside the barrel. Theres no fear of the snake part breaking. its the string its attached too.

are the rounds clean enough that a snake is sufficent to clean it?? I know some of the 22 rounds are pure mankey and need brushing to clean.

• Advertisement

If you get what i posted in the link there is no way it will snap in the barrel like a boresnake can, It is a braided cable in a soft plastic shell, it has a brush and patches but acts like a bore snake. As it is a cable instead of a rod you can carry it with you and use it in semiautos or lever actions cleaning from breach to muzzle.

juice1304 wrote: »
    If you get what i posted in the link there is no way it will snap in the barrel like a boresnake can, It is a braided cable in a soft plastic shell, it has a brush and patches but acts like a bore snake. As it is a cable instead of a rod you can carry it with you and use it in semiautos or lever actions cleaning from breach to muzzle.

I assume you use it the same as the bore snake and put the braided cable thru from the breech ahead of the brush or patch?? Would you ever be concerned about the brush coming off???

yes that is what you do, No i would'nt be concerned the end has a threaded brass rod that the different attachments screw into like a normal rod type cleaning system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

I had a hmr for over a year and the only cleaning it ever got was a pull through with a bore snake after ever 200-300 rounds. After the clean it toke a few rounds to dirty the barrel again and it was fine. The hmr seemed to shoot better dirty.

TB26

Advertisement