Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows 8 Suddenly Blue Screening

• 04-11-2012 6:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭

Installed eight about a month ago was working fine until last night when I tried to play a 1080p video in youtube got a unhappy face for about a second and a reboot, now just browsing the web about five minutes ago it blue screen again but it come and goes like a light so I cant make out the error message and no word from windows after the reboot. :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

You need to turn off the restart after error function. Then you can check the system logs. Are you sure it's not hardware?

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

Do you have the first or second edition Windows 98?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭stevek93

mitosis wrote: »
    You need to turn off the restart after error function. Then you can check the system logs. Are you sure it's not hardware?

Could well be the hardware its a custom build, how do I check the logs usually after a reboot windows would display somewhat of a log?

uberalles wrote: »
    Do you have the first or second edition Windows 98?

Windows 8 not 98 lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

I'm not sure on 8, but on prior versions you can turn off the restart after error and get info from the Event Viewer in Control Panel. But you need to turn off the reboot.

• Advertisement

mitosis wrote: »
    I'm not sure on 8, but on prior versions you can turn off the restart after error and get info from the Event Viewer in Control Panel. But you need to turn off the reboot.

Just found this more than likely it will work in eight http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/ht/automatic-restart-windows-7.htm I'll have a look at event viewer in the control panel tomorrow and report back, hopefully it's something minor as I just upgraded the motherboard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,182 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

most blues i encounter are driver related. havent seen any with 8 yet.

you said you installed it a month ago: is it the consumer preview?

Overheal wrote: »
    most blues i encounter are driver related. havent seen any with 8 yet.

you said you installed it a month ago: is it the consumer preview?

Could be right about drivers all up to date since last time I checked though. Rtm build so its the full deal.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

kind of a long shot , but did you install any AV software?
    I was using Avira 2012 (as I've a licence paid up till next year) , once it had installed and updated itself I started getting random bsods (bad_pool_header ones).
    Turns out its most definitely not 8 compatable yet, on removing it(stuck with windows defender for now) the OS is steady as a rock.
    Supposedly Eset, Avast and Norton AVs can cause issues as well (not sure though as I dont use them)

Dr Bob wrote: »
    kind of a long shot , but did you install any AV software?
    I was using Avira 2012 (as I've a licence paid up till next year) , once it had installed and updated itself I started getting random bsods (bad_pool_header ones).
    Turns out its most definitely not 8 compatable yet, on removing it(stuck with windows defender for now) the OS is steady as a rock.
    Supposedly Eset, Avast and Norton AVs can cause issues as well (not sure though as I dont use them)

Same thing happened few weeks ago but was getting a bsod every time I tried to uninstall Avira 2012 ended up running the uninstall in safe mode strange how a antivirus can cause bsod using avg for the moment don't trust defender.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

stevek93 wrote: »
    Same thing happened few weeks ago but was getting a bsod every time I tried to uninstall Avira 2012 ended up running the uninstall in safe mode strange how a antivirus can cause bsod using avg for the moment don't trust defender.

Wasnt sure if AVG was working with it either,otherwise I'd have gone with that myself!

Advertisement