Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo Now

Options
  • 04-11-2012 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Saw a new magazine in town with Scruffy on the cover,It is called Sligo Now and it looks good. Anyone get a copy of it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

I seen the magazine in one of the garages, looked interesting, picked it up, flicked through, saw price €2:eek: and quickly put it back down.

I thought that kind of mag has to be free, making revenue from advertising, building up readership and then charging.

It seems a bit optimistic to be operating in such times and charging such a price from the off.

From my quick flick through it looked like mostly photographs from out and about in town. (Although the quality of print and paper is good, and photos pretty good too).

It did remind me a bit of The Tatler, which should be a bit of a compliment to the publishers (?), but I'm not sure if there is a specific marketing strategy/target audience. And how much "glossy" news/glitteratti photos can you generate locally that the Weekender or Champion cant get as well?

Having said all that, I based my opinion on a quick flick, mind you, so will many others who may put it back down just as quickly.

I might have another look at it to see if they have a USP. (And if they had something free/promotions in there for the first few issues, it might persuade folk to buy it.

I hope it does well for them...but I'd be pleasantly surprised if it gets into double figure issue numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

I haven't seen it, where is it being sold?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Have it here. Its worse than the Champion for advertising and the articles are complete drivel in my opinion.

It does tho, have some good information on what to do out and about in Sligo.

I don't like to be critical of entrepreneurship but it does look like a complete waste of someones money.

If it was better targetted it might stand a chance. For starters, the age range is all over the place, and if it does last a few more issues, you can be sure that we'll be seeing the usual local "pop" faces doing the rounds again.

Now...if any one is reading this from the publishers....pick a young target age, say 12-17. Do your research, find out what interests them, new bands, fashion, stories. Look for a relevant sponsor/advertiser.

Get your promotions right, set up a web site. Get the model right and plan to go national. Well, if it was that easy, we'd all be doing it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Is it related to the other publication that you post about?

• Advertisement

Is it related to the other publication that you post about?

It was an example of how I suggest that the publishers should have a clear focus on their target readership.

If they were to choose an older age range, say near to retirement. The whole content would be based on features which they are interested in, travel, gardening, health, classic cars, golf, dining out, medical matters and have local relevant features and exclusive interviews with known and local people with interesting lifestyles.

The current issue has by my quick read has just gone 'splat' on the wall. A cut and paste job of nothing new, with info that can be obtained else where.

It has no defined target or unique selling proposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Kettleson. Sorry I should have been clearer, I was addressing the question to the op.

No worries at all, it was just me rambling : )
    Kettleson. Sorry I should have been clearer, I was addressing the question to the op.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 caseyjones01

the same people publish Sligo Now and NorthWest Express and Mature Living.It is a local company based in Collooney.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭easkey

the same people publish Sligo Now and NorthWest Express and Mature Living.It is a local company based in Collooney.

Me thinks you are advertising the mag???????:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

easkey wrote: »
    Me thinks you are advertising the mag???????:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yup, most previous post appear to refer to Northwest Express as well http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?user=386095&sort=newest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Was that called north west extra at one time? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 36 caseyjones01

it could have been.
    I know a guy who works there and that's why I mentioned it, no other reason

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

it could have been.
    I know a guy who works there and that's why I mentioned it, no other reason

Just read in another post of yours that you work for NorthWest Express. So as it's the same company thread locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement