Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic Flooring

• 04-11-2012 6:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

We've just had the attic insulated and need someone to come and put in some flooring for us. I'm not sure if I should be looking for a carpenter or general handyman - I don't want to insult a tradesman with what might be a "small job" to them, because I've been down that road before!

Does anyone know of anyone who could do this. I've looked online and in Golden Pages but nothing is leaping out at me.

All recommendations welcome :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Mollywolly wrote: »
    We've just had the attic insulated and need someone to come and put in some flooring for us. I'm not sure if I should be looking for a carpenter or general handyman - I don't want to insult a tradesman with what might be a "small job" to them, because I've been down that road before!

Does anyone know of anyone who could do this. I've looked online and in Golden Pages but nothing is leaping out at me.

All recommendations welcome :)

Go buy yourself enough 3/4 inch plywood to cover the attic floor, a hammer, a saw and a butt load of nails. It's an easy job to do yourself and you'll save yourself some cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

source wrote: »
    Go buy yourself enough 3/4 inch plywood to cover the attic floor, a hammer, a saw and a butt load of nails. It's an easy job to do yourself and you'll save yourself some cash.

If only it was so easy!

Story is that there was already insulation between the joists, with a floor on top. However, more insulation has been laid on top of the existing floor (as recommended by the company that did it). So now we need some kind of supports, plus floor.

Ain't that simple when you're rubbish at DIY :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Double insultation. Sounds like a rip off if I'm honest. Unless the original insulation was incredibly bad you couldn't be loosing that much heat. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭manna452121

Have a look at these; http://www.theatticstairs.ie/

Have a look at these; http://www.theatticstairs.ie/

Thanks. This might be just what I'm looking for! I'll give them a call tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BrendanD

Can anyone recommend any company that does attic conversions ?

BrendanD wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend any company that does attic conversations ?

I known to be able to hold a good yarn on attics if you want. ;)

Beer Baron wrote: »
    I known to be able to hold a good yarn on attics if you want. ;)

Obviously grammar is not either of our strong points ;-)

BrendanD wrote: »
    Obviously grammar is not either of our strong points ;-)

Damn it. :mad:

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Double insultation. Sounds like a rip off if I'm honest. Unless the original insulation was incredibly bad you couldn't be loosing that much heat. :eek:

It WAS very bad. The original insulation was put in about 11 years ago and was as flat as pancake compared to the new stuff. You'd have to see it to believe it!

• Advertisement

Thanks for all your suggestions. I've now got someone booked in to do the job. Can't wait to get all my junk back up into the attic :D

Hi Mollywolly and BrendanD try Marc Connolly his number is 087-7632111 and his website is http://www.connollybuildingandrenovations.ie/ - he'll be able to give you a quote for either job.

Thanks ill give him a ring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

I don't think you were ripped off by company that put insulation over flooring in attic. It is never a good idea to put flooring over insulation that causes insulation to compress down to level of joists.
    Insulation does settle over time though and the 11 year old insulation would have lost much of it's insulating qualities over that time. I am assuming it was fibregalss or rockwool.
    Be careful not to insulate over electrical cables as this can result in fire.

Advertisement