Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm considering learning Java programming. Any advice??

Options
  • 04-11-2012 7:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

So.......The other day I stated learning java programming. I have been doing this using youtube and google. I was just wondering has anyone learned to use Java and got employment from it? Did it take you long to learn it? Is there any advice you could offer in regards to learning programming?? :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

Ive been programming in java for just under a year.Its decent enough language to learn(relatively easy compared to say c++).

only advice i can give is just to code!As you learn more of the java API your projects will get more advanced as will your knowledge.

Im sure more people will post with better advice and who work with java fulltime.

Also have you looked into writing apps for android phones?its based on java and is relatively easy to get a simple app up and running

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I'm learning Java at the moment, doing a online course with FAS but i'm also learning via a free online course. The free course is much easier and explains things much better than the FAS course. So i go further head on the free course, then go back and do the next section on the FAS course.

To say I'm impressed with the FAS course would be..................a lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭druidhill

@Senna - what is the free online course you are praising?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

OP: Do you have any 3rd level qualifications in computers or science?

Eg. a degree in computers or electronics engineering?
    Do you know C++/C#, or are you completely green, and learning programming from scratch?

Just to give you some background, I've worked in software development for nearly 20 years, and currently work for a large multinational company.

Only in the last month, we are tentatively considering hiring graduates with a minimum of a Degree in computers/engineering.
    Previously we required a degree and at least 2 years work experience.
    So your CV probably won't get past the recruitment agencies/company HR departments.

Someone who hasn't got a lot of experience in development, might have to start working in a customer support / testing / localisation job and maybe try transferring software development in that company after say a year or two.

But I imagine it would be extremely difficult to walk into a software development job with just a 1 year course or if you were self taught.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

Oreilly Head First Java..... excellent starter book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Derekmcauley7

OP: Do you have any 3rd level qualifications in computers or science?

Eg. a degree in computers or electronics engineering?
    Do you know C++/C#, or are you completely green, and learning programming from scratch?

Just to give you some background, I've worked in software development for nearly 20 years, and currently work for a large multinational company.

Only in the last month, we are tentatively considering hiring graduates with a minimum of a Degree in computers/engineering.
    Previously we required a degree and at least 2 years work experience.
    So your CV probably won't get past the recruitment agencies/company HR departments.

Someone who hasn't got a lot of experience in development, might have to start working in a customer support / testing / localisation job and maybe try transferring software development in that company after say a year or two.

But I imagine it would be extremely difficult to walk into a software development job with just a 1 year course or if you were self taught.

Hey, Your info was very helpful, Thanks.
    Yeah I'm learning from scratch. I don't have a degree but I'm considering starting one next year. I was looking at this one http://www.dbs.ie/business-information-systems/ba-hons-evening-degree

Do you know any good part time degree courses?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭djk1000

It's great that you're learning a language, keep at it and start doing some personal projects that you can put on a CV. My advice would to also not focus on one programming language and take time to learn about object oriented programming principles that carry over to any OO language. It's important to learn about why you program in a certain way (why you have classes, inheritance etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Ironman76

Im also considering this. Looking at going back to study IT next year (actually got accepted onto a course this year but had to pull out). Ive heard theres a lot of Java involved in the project side of things when studying so was looking at getting to grips with it over the next year and hit the ground running when I go back.

Can anyone recommend a good free online course? Was going to learn from books etc but would probably be more motivated online. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭acorn1702

Ironman76 wrote: »
    Im also considering this. Looking at going back to study IT next year (actually got accepted onto a course this year but had to pull out). Ive heard theres a lot of Java involved in the project side of things when studying so was looking at getting to grips with it over the next year and hit the ground running when I go back.

Can anyone recommend a good free online course? Was going to learn from books etc but would probably be more motivated online. Thanks
    I'm currently learning Python and doing a lot of web development: Html, CSS, Php and MySql. You might need a degree to join a large software company but there is tonnes of work for freelance web developers who know what they're doing.

Two brilliant youtube channels for programming/computer skills:

TheNewBoston

New Think Tank

If you're looking for something in more of a course format a great site I use is Code Academy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

So.......The other day I stated learning java programming. I have been doing this using youtube and google. I was just wondering has anyone learned to use Java and got employment from it? Did it take you long to learn it? Is there any advice you could offer in regards to learning programming?? :)

Without a college degree you will strugle to get a job, and if you do, you will be paid very little I would imagine.

djk1000 wrote: »
    It's great that you're learning a language, keep at it and start doing some personal projects that you can put on a CV. My advice would to also not focus on one programming language and take time to learn about object oriented programming principles that carry over to any OO language. It's important to learn about why you program in a certain way (why you have classes, inheritance etc.)

couldnt not agree more. :)

Without a college degree you will strugle to get a job, and if you do, you will be paid very little I would imagine.

Absolutely incorrect. Degree means very little to be a developer, if you dont have commerical experience, personal projects would be enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

ChRoMe wrote: »
    Absolutely incorrect. Degree means very little to be a developer, if you dont have commerical experience, personal projects would be enough.

You are completely wrong. If you don't have a degree you won't get hired unless you have a couple of years experience. Personal projects are not enough. There's people with computer science degrees and Software engineering degrees that I know who cannot get jobs. Some have a pass degree, some 2.1 and 2.2.(was mixed in with both for classes). Recruitment agencies will look at the C.V and bin or delete it.

areyawell wrote: »
    You are completely wrong. If you don't have a degree you won't get hired unless you have a couple of years experience. Personal projects are not enough. There's people with computer science degrees and Software engineering degrees that I know who cannot get jobs. Some have a pass degree, some 2.1 and 2.2.(was mixed in with both for classes). Recruitment agencies will look at the C.V and bin or delete it.

Weird, I'm a senior developer without a degree, who has hired candidates also without one. A quick straw poll among my colleagues reveals that about half of them dont have a degree.

Also if you know developers who cant get hired at the moment, there must be something seriously wrong with their ability. Companies are screaming for developers. I get on average about 5 calls a day about jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Ironman76

acorn1702 wrote: »
    I'm currently learning Python and doing a lot of web development: Html, CSS, Php and MySql. You might need a degree to join a large software company but there is tonnes of work for freelance web developers who know what they're doing.

Two brilliant youtube channels for programming/computer skills:

TheNewBoston

New Think Tank

If you're looking for something in more of a course format a great site I use is Code Academy

Sorry for only getting back to you now acorn, thats great, thanks for that. (Im pretty clueless at this sort of thing). Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

A degree gets you the first job, (relevant) experience gets you subsequent jobs.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Weird, I'm a senior developer without a degree, who has hired candidates also without one. A quick straw poll among my colleagues reveals that about half of them dont have a degree.

Also if you know developers who cant get hired at the moment, there must be something seriously wrong with their ability. Companies are screaming for developers. I get on average about 5 calls a day about jobs.

I would assume though, the people you hire without a degree would be very high level? Interesting to hear that it is still being done, always baffles me that jobs (the ones on job sites anyway) always require a degree + experience when there are a lot of people who have taught themselves how to code etc and some start at a very young age.

I would also assume there wouldn't be many companies doing this though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

juan.kerr wrote: »
    A degree gets you the first job, (relevant) experience gets you subsequent jobs.

Very true.

I recruit people and to be honest I look for self taught and motivated people.

Anyway, back on topic... Java How to Program 9th edition by Deitel is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Green Mile

I've worked in a large IT firm in HR and Payroll so i've seen the salariesof programmers with little experience and years of experience. Lets just saythat I am very motivated to learning programming such as Java as well, based onthe standard of living I could have from knowing this language, I would alsoadvise to get yourself into an IT course.

I believe you work near Tallaght OP?? Why not take a look at IT TallaghtDublin college?

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

I did a 2 week course in UCD a few years back - Java Intro and Java Intermediate. It was specifically geared towards the SCJP exam. I didn't do it at the time, but think I will do so early next year. Need to use it or you lose it tho - no use just looking at a textbook (need to start from scratch again myself)!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

rgmmg wrote: »
    I did a 2 week course in UCD a few years back - Java Intro and Java Intermediate. It was specifically geared towards the SCJP exam. I didn't do it at the time, but think I will do so early next year. Need to use it or you lose it tho - no use just looking at a textbook (need to start from scratch again myself)!!

Is it really possible to learn in two weeks? Or were you experienced in other languages already?

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

Is it really possible to learn in two weeks? Or were you experienced in other languages already?

Nah, two weeks is nowhere near enough to know it in truth. However, I did get a good enough overview as to what it was, what classes, inheritance, operands, string manipulation and all that stuff were.

The only other experience I'd had before was in VBA and that is not a programming language (scripting or whatever).

However, I learned that on the job as it’s easy to access to VBA. Hit Alt+F11 in MS Office and away you go. It will teach you some things that you can use: connecting to databases, loops, if statements, string manipulation etc, so that sort of helped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

I'm also planning to learn with O'Reillys Head First Java.

Can anyone suggest any supplementary study, ie, universal principles of programming and as why you might choose Java over say C sharp for a project in the first place ?

Thanks

ror_74 wrote: »
    why you might choose Java over say C sharp for a project in the first place ?

Thanks

Cost. Java is open source and free, for C# you need to pay licensing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Cost. Java is open source and free, for C# you need to pay licensing.

What? No you don't. You have to pay for Windows tho, which is different. And yes you could run it on linux for free with mono but that's rubbish anwyay.

You realise Oracle own java now right? It's exactly the same situation.

srsly78 wrote: »
    What? No you don't. You have to pay for Windows tho, which is different. And yes you could run it on linux for free with mono but that's rubbish anwyay.

You realise Oracle own java now right? It's exactly the same situation.

Well windows, TFS, Visual Studio, IIS etc.

Its no where near the same situation. Oracle do not have the monopoly on the infrastructure required to execute java code. Also Java is open source, the CLR is a open standard but the actual implementation is not.

I'm purposefully ignoring mono.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Has anyone found a particular area of maths useful to learn in conjunction with Java ? Also, Javascript..is there much of a difference between the two ? I have seen jobs posted that suggest they are two different skillets.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

ror_74 wrote: »
    Has anyone found a particular area of maths useful to learn in conjunction with Java ? Also, Javascript..is there much of a difference between the two ? I have seen jobs posted that suggest they are two different skillets.

Not really. Its kinda just learn as you go along. JavaScript is client side so nice fancy buttons on websites, error messages basically increase user interface. its also been used for things such as desktop widgets now. I would call it a subset of Java. Leaning Java on its own without a knowledge of what its really needed for is well, not going to get you a job unless you expertise in a specific area.

Theres many different areas of Java. Such as JSP programming(Java Server Pages) which is like applications you see on websites ,J2me, Swing applications, Mobile app development(especially Android), game development and tons more.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

areyawell wrote: »
    Not really. Its kinda just learn as you go along. JavaScript is client side so nice fancy buttons on websites, error messages basically increase user interface. its also been used for things such as desktop widgets now. I would call it a subset of Java. Leaning Java on its own without a knowledge of what its really needed for is well, not going to get you a job unless you expertise in a specific area.

Theres many different areas of Java. Such as JSP programming(Java Server Pages) which is like applications you see on websites ,J2me, Swing applications, Mobile app development(especially Android), game development and tons more.

I dont think its accurate at all to say that javascript is a subset of java.
    Why would you say this? They are isolated completely from each other, both perfectly viable in isolation.

The reason for the name "java" in javascript (really ecmaScript) is a historical bundling deal that Sun did with Netscape.

As I read before, Java is to JavaScript as Car is to Carpet.

• Advertisement

GreeBo wrote: »
    (really ecmaScript) is a historical bundling deal that Sun did with Netscape.

I've been wondering about the exact origins of the javascript name for a while, that makes sense :)

Advertisement