Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JCB gearbox trouble :( any advice??

Options
  • 04-11-2012 7:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭

well lads, we have a small farm our selves and we have a 1995 jcb 3cx. it doesnt do a whole lot of work but we still use it sometimes. either way to get to the point, the other i sat up and started it away and it was in 3rd gear, that was grand i put it in forward and drove away but when i went to select 2nd gear it would not move. same with 4th gear. it slides in to the position fine with no crunching or grinding. I have been told it could be any of the following *torque converter*, *broken selector*, *selectors worn*, *The packs are jammed together, they compress the oil together and there like dishes, if the oil isnt cooled properly the packs get mad hot and stick together*, *wiring problem*. any advice or opinions? and more importantly the COST :(:( thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭iverjohnston

Have you still got 3rd gear? Was it OK in 3rd when you started? Had you forward and reverse in 3rd? If 3rd was fine, but then when you shifted out of it, couldnt get back into it, you could be looking at a selector problem. Just to get a few simple things out of the way, Do you know if the shuttle lever is working properly? Check all fuses, then check the wires going to the shuttle valves on the top of the gearbox. Do not start wiggling the wires with the engine running, unless you jack her up off the ground! While your down there, is the driveshaft from the gearbox to theback axle still connected??!! Does putting it in 4wd make any difference? Iver in Cavan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Can you feel it slide into the gears, like normal? If so, then it's not the selectors. If the gear lever is loose, then the ball tip of the gear lever might have slipped out of the selector cups (if thats the right term).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭tmboy95

thanks for the reply lads, am yes i can select all gears as normal, slides into position fine but its only 3rd and 1st gear it will move in( as in actually drive) in both forward and reverse. But for example say i was driving in 1st and went to get 2nd gear its like ive selected nothing at all and the machine stops (comes to a stop like youve just taken it out of gear) and it jus revs away not moving as i would have my foot on the accelerator expecting it to move in 2nd. I got out and looked under neath the gear box and drive for any signs of oil and i didnt seem to see much. Friday or at the weekend il pull it out in the yard and give it a better check now that i know what i need to look out for and il keep ye informed :) thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭tmboy95

Sorry for the late reply lads, up the walls with school lately! :( am i had the digger out last weekend. started fine, drove in 1st and i selected 2nd gear and drove a little (it behaved as if i kept pushing the clutch button and then would stop altogether), this applies to when i tried to use 4th gear too. i tried using 4wd and made no difference, and looked under neath for any sign of oil leak aorund gear box and drives.
    But what i did notice was that one the fuses came making a buzzing or clicking noise when ever i selected 2nd or 4th gear, this leads me to think it may be only fuses wrong? ? God willing its only that :) what ye think?

Advertisement