Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas Heater for apartment - are they safe?

Options
  • 04-11-2012 7:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭

I have storage heaters in my apartment and as anyone know, they can be a little bit dear. I was thinking of getting one of these stand alone gas heaters, the ones that the cylinder of gas goes in the back - like this...
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR3OWoC71n6GFzhRGm7mp8blXk_y_5E9dVsYJDiMdVIj5gthOCCoQ
    I said it to my mum and she said they're not safe, but then again she would never let a gas cooker in the house when I was growing up as she thought they were too dangerous! Has anyone used one in an apartment, and if so, how did you get on?
    Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Theyre safe of course, but a lot of places will forbid that sort of gas heater.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭MMAGirl

They are safe. Well as safe as an open fire. Safer actually because nothing will spit out of them onto the floor. But its stil a naked flame.
    But if you think they are cheaper than a storage heater get ready for a shock.
    Most people dont know how to use storage heaters. Properly used they are cheaper than gas or oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

MMAGirl wrote: »
    Most people dont know how to use storage heaters. Properly used they are cheaper than gas or oil.

Do elaborate...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

Im with your mam, I don't like them, or unvented gas fires. If you get one, make sure you use them in a ventilated room, and get a carbon monoxide detecter.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Mansized Wreath

OP I've been using one in apt for years and never had an issue. I'd get about 5 months use outta one tank (using one bar). Obviously only use it when you're in the room but yeah,very effective and cheap, I never turn on the storage heaters and my esb bill is never over €80.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I used to have one in an apartment years ago and it was great. I'd definitely second the recommendation of a carbon monoxide alarm though. Just as a precaution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

If you do get a SuperSer, make sure you inexplicably place a bowl of water in front of it, as everyone's mam did in the 80's.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

quaalude wrote: »
    If you do get a SuperSer, make sure you inexplicably place a bowl of water in front of it, as everyone's mam did in the 80's.
    They did that because the dry heat was unpleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    They did that because the dry heat was unpleasant.

Accidentally standing in the SuperSer's drinking bowl was pretty unpleasant too!

Advertisement