Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(Bio)medical Science in Japan?

• 04-11-2012 7:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭

My partner is studying Japanese and is planing to spend ~15 months in Japan in about two years time. I would obviously like to go along, if possible.
    I am qualified and working as a Medical Laboratory Scientist in Histopathology. Does anyone know how pathology works in Japan or have the Japanese to find out? Specifically if it would be possible for me to work as a Medical Scientist over there. If so, what steps (like exams) would I need to take?
    In Ireland a Medical Scientist has an Honours Bachelor of Science Degree from DIT or UCC that is recognised by the Academy of Medical Laboratory Sciences. There are 5 or 6 disciplines that a Medical Scientist can work in - Blood Transfusion, Haematology, Biochemistry, Microbiology, Histopathology and Immunology. These are all different labs that do some of the tests behind the diagnosis and monitoring of diseases. In Histopathology pieces of tissue removed by surgeons are prepared for microscopic examination by consultant Histopathologists.
    In the UK medical scientists are called Biomedical Scientists. They qualify by doing training courses recognised by the Institute of Biomedical Scientists and must register with the Health Professionals Council.
    From the website of the International Federation of Biomedical Scientists I found the Japanese Association of Medical Technologists http://www.jamat.or.jp but nothing on how foreign candidates may apply.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Try contacting the embassy in Dublin. Also emailing the UK embassy might be kinda helpful as it's more likely they'll have had more experience dealing with such a query.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭hibby

I hope you will get the chance to live in Japan. It's a great opportunity and I would recommend it to anyone.

However, my initial feeling is that there is little chance that you will be able to use your professional qualifications here. The language barrier is only one small (but very real) part of that.

If you want to live in Japan you should look into programmes that are geared specifically to foreigners.

Having said that, I don't know anything about your particular field so by all means follow any leads and see if there are any opportunities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭TAPA2012

Hi

Same problem! yet I am in Japan already. My partner got a very good job and we moved. I am a research scientist with 7 years of study under my belt. I couldnt find anything in my area. I am keeping a close eye on naturejobs! that can throw up a few gems for us! In Tokyo there is lots and lots of opportunities but maybe slightly different to what you are use to! such as teaching that subject through english! I know of one person who is currently working as a science teacher he did biomedical degree! Unfortunately I am situated in a different part of Japan with less opportunities. I am going to teach english as a foreign language for the short term. Its a stop gap and the money isnt too bad! best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 386 ✭✭shindig-jp

TAPA2012 wrote: »
    Hi

Same problem! yet I am in Japan already. My partner got a very good job and we moved. I am a research scientist with 7 years of study under my belt. I couldnt find anything in my area. I am keeping a close eye on naturejobs! that can throw up a few gems for us! In Tokyo there is lots and lots of opportunities but maybe slightly different to what you are use to! such as teaching that subject through english! I know of one person who is currently working as a science teacher he did biomedical degree! Unfortunately I am situated in a different part of Japan with less opportunities. I am going to teach english as a foreign language for the short term. Its a stop gap and the money isnt too bad! best of luck!

Grab a job here: https://jobs.gaijinpot.com/

Advertisement