Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A thanks to the locals of the weather forum!

Options
  • 04-11-2012 8:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Lads & Ladies I just wanted to say thanks to you all because over the last couple of years, especially in Winter, I've learned a serious amount about charts, forecasting and weather in general from the forum.

Im a primary teacher and a few weeks ago, I was covering the area of weather with my class of 10/11 year olds. Thankfully I have an interactive whiteboard so I was able to show them animated charts and explain what was going on. I showed them links I'd learned about here such as raintoday and sat24 etc and they were enthralled by it all. I sent them off to do a short and medium term forecast then and by all accounts, a number of parents were forced to watch a lot of weather forecasts at home (to make sure they were right.. not to copy them so Im told :D)

We predicted the weather for the next 4 hours and then matched the outside 'realities' to our predictions and we didn't do too bad at all!

So there's 30 young people now with a curiosity about the weather that may lead to the next famous meteorologist, or indeed famous postman. I didnt teach them much, but just enough that made them curious to find out more when the mood does take them.

So.. Thanks! Keep up the good work!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Teaching.
    You're doing it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭jeltz

Sounds like great fun. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Good work! I'm a maths teacher so I don't get to cover the weather but during the big snow I used temperature charts and readings for statistics and we compared averages and ranges of temperatures using the real data. With the senior cycle I used weather force casting and modelling in discussion about probability! Lots of fun :)

Advertisement