Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus Route 15 - Historical question

Options
  • 04-11-2012 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi,

To settle an argument I need the help of those who know the history of the 15 bus route in Dublin.

a) 1 opinion says the 15 terminated on Eden Quay during 2009 and subsequent years.

b) Another opinion says that it always went across the liffey and served both north and south side. At least I thought it did since I was in college in the early 90's.

Answering this could save a relationship ;-) so please help!!

:D:D
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭dublinbusdude

Answer 1a: Yes it did go to Eden Quay in 2009 until the changes last year.

Answer 1b: Never did go Northside city in 1990s, when along the walls of Trinity College at College Street where the 15/a/b stop in College Street

Believe it or not the 15 was an old tram number from Terenure to Nelson's Pillar - the garage for the tram was at now Terenure Library & the back of Eddie Rockets - see here: Dublin Trams in 1900s

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Joshycat

robhall_ie wrote: »
    Hi,

To settle an argument I need the help of those who know the history of the 15 bus route in Dublin.

a) 1 opinion says the 15 terminated on Eden Quay during 2009 and subsequent years.

b) Another opinion says that it always went across the liffey and served both north and south side. At least I thought it did since I was in college in the early 90's.

Answering this could save a relationship ;-) so please help!!

:D:D

route 15 amalgamated with route 128 last december and since then has served both south and northside until last december it terminated in Eden Quay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭HydeRoad

Believe it or not the 15 was an old tram number from Terenure to Nelson's Pillar - the garage for the tram was at now Terenure Library & the back of Eddie Rockets - see here: Dublin Trams in 1900s

Not quite. The tram yard where Terenure library is now, belonged to the Dublin & Blessington Steam Tramways, which terminated here, and ran to Tallaght, Blessington and Poulaphouca.

The number 15 Dublin trams operated out of a tram shed opposite St. Joseph's Church, on Terenure Road East. The line of the sheds can still be seen today in the electrical wholesaler's yard.

There was a THIRD tram shed in Terenure, on Rathfarnham Road, much earlier than this, where Window Fashions and Interiors stands. This shed served the older 16 and 17 tram routes, which were withdrawn before the war.

Goods trains were marshalled on Templeogue Road, outside the present day library entrance, for transfer across the Dublin tramway network by night by electric locomotive, to serve the coal yards and the docks. They then returned to Blessington by steam locomotive the next day. This ended in 1932 with the close of the steam tramway.

Advertisement