Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

going rate for childminders?

Options
  • 04-11-2012 9:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭

Hoping someone can help. I might need a childminder from mid February on. It will be in my own home and my LO will be nearly 8 months then. It will be from 8.30am to 6pm Monday to Thursday and literally just minding and feeding my daughter. No ironing, hoovering etc. Maybe fill the dishwasher but that'll be it. Has anyone any idea how much I can expect to pay? Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Minimum wage, at least, plus holiday pay and universal social charge. If you have a childminder working in your home you're an employer so you have to deduct tax etc from salary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭skeptik

Minimum wage, at least, plus holiday pay and universal social charge. If you have a childminder working in your home you're an employer so you have to deduct tax etc from salary.

Seriously?! I thought they'd be self employed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Perhaps but their hourly/weekly rate will still include holiday pay, tax, universal social charge etc. obviously it's better if they're self employed from an admin point of view but it wouldnt necessarily be any cheaper.

Perhaps but their hourly/weekly rate will still include holiday pay, tax, universal social charge etc. obviously it's better if they're self employed from an admin point of view but it wouldnt necessarily be any cheaper.

and here was me thinking it would be cheaper than a creche! way more hassle and just as expensive when all that is taken into account!

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Shane Fitz

skeptik wrote: »
    Hoping someone can help. I might need a childminder from mid February on. It will be in my own home and my LO will be nearly 8 months then. It will be from 8.30am to 6pm Monday to Thursday and literally just minding and feeding my daughter. No ironing, hoovering etc. Maybe fill the dishwasher but that'll be it. Has anyone any idea how much I can expect to pay? Thanks :)

What's an LO??

• Advertisement

Shane Fitz wrote: »
    What's an LO??

Little One :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 LisaPol

You are looking to employ a Nanny, so are her employer, therefore minimum wage and tax and insurance to be paid (as above), a childminder works from their own home and is self employed. Im a childminder and have worked as a Nanny too. For the Nanny work I was paid 10eu net per hour and was given petrol money too. It only really makes sense if your a high earner or there are a few kids. As a childminder, I charge 5eu per hour incl food or daily rate of forty euro. I pay my own tax etc. Hope this helps. In south dub by the way. Other parts of country may be cheaper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

The Revenue are very strict about "self employed" people who only have one customer - they end up being re-classified as employees with the relevant obligations on the employer whether this is agreed or not.

You could look at an au-pair, but your mileage may vary.

Thanks for eveyones help :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

In the real world , case in hand, no ones the wiser.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

If the child is minded in the minders own home then they are self employed and can earn up to 15k PAYE free.
    The cost depends on where in the country you are and is not always cheaper then a creche.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

nig1 wrote: »
    In the real world , case in hand, no ones the wiser.

Post like this will not be tolerated on the parenting boards.
    Tax fraud is illegal.
    Consider this a warning.

Advertisement