Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Birdhill Turkey Run 10k & 5k - Dec 2 2013 @ 1pm

Options
  • 04-11-2012 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Go onto www.birdhillturkeyrun.com

It's the first year of this event. There's a 10Km and a 5km walk/run. €15 for 10k run. Birdhill is only 20 mins from limerick city.

Sunday December 2nd - Race Start is 1pm with registration from 10.30 - 12 on the day.

The event is jointly in aid of Birdhill National School and the Longhouse Community Field Development fund.

Prizes include turkeys so you could get the Christmas dinner sorted. Check out the website for full details.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Finnt

Do I have to register before the run Or can I just show up on the morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭sideline warrior

Just turn up on the day and register between 10.30 to 12 noon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sunshine2001

Hi
    I run a sports massage college here in Annacotty but I live in Birdhill and I would be interested in bringing along students and graduates to provide a bit of post-event massage to the runners in the Birdhill Run in December. Their website seems to be down. Do you know of anyone I could contact to make arrangements etc
    Thanks
    Rachel
    institute of massage & Sports Therapy

Website is running. There are contact details there. I am sure they'd love to see you out there offering post race massages etc.

Hi Rachel. I was speaking with one of the race organisers tonight and he said they never heard from you but would be very interested in talking with you. If you get a chance you might contact them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 sunshine2001

hi
    many thanks for the contact details. it might be a bit too close to the event for me to be able to round up therapists at this stage but i will give them a buzz later today.
    thanks again

Is this still going ahead? I heard today it was cancelled?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

Finnt wrote: »
    Is this still going ahead? I heard today it was cancelled?
    nothing on the site about it been cancelled.

update on this. just sent a text to one of the numbers on the site for the race. this race is going ahead

scheister wrote: »
    nothing on the site about it been cancelled.

update on this. just sent a text to one of the numbers on the site for the race. this race is going ahead

Never thought of texting them didn't want to ring so late in evening if it was canceled.
    Hoping to get out to it tomorrow,
    Not that familiar with the area but from looking at the route on the website and passing thru birdhill it looks to be hilly enough?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

ran this today, nicely run race. parts of the course were very mucky, only suggestion for next year would be(if possible) to avoid teh farmers backyard it appeared we ran through on the 10k course

be back for it next year if it goes ahead though, should do, seemed a decent turn out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

mossym wrote: »
    ran this today, nicely run race. parts of the course were very mucky, only suggestion for next year would be(if possible) to avoid teh farmers backyard it appeared we ran through on the 10k course

be back for it next year if it goes ahead though, should do, seemed a decent turn out

+1

but the decent spread afterwards made up for the hills and muck :)
    Bordering on XC on one stretch but appreciated the downhill finish. 6-7km was tough though :o

i ran the 5km in the end. simple course for us 2.5 km straight run upto the national school and around the roundabout and 2.5km run to the end.

I like the race certain parts i would change for next year. rather then people at the end manually doing the times i would invest in chip timing even if the cost have to go up. might be hard to do with the fact there was 2 starting lines.

I will second the nice spread there was afterwards nice way to relax and refuel after a race

Really enjoyed the race. Good atmosphere. Challenging course. Didn't mind running up the hills or on the stretch of mucky lane, after all we were in the middle of the countryside. Loads of tea and food afterwards and the couple of pints were also lovely. If you want a similar type of run and set-up be sure to do the Newport 10k next year. Only a short run from Birdhill. Thanks to all involved.

after all we were in the middle of the countryside.

only too aware of that, i attended the school we all ran past today..

just rather not be running in absolute s^&%e if it can be avoided..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭Ceepo

scheister wrote: »
    i ran the 5km in the end. simple course for us 2.5 km straight run upto the national school and around the roundabout and 2.5km run to the end.

I like the race certain parts i would change for next year. rather then people at the end manually doing the times i would invest in chip timing even if the cost have to go up. might be hard to do with the fact there was 2 starting lines.

I will second the nice spread there was afterwards nice way to relax and refuel after a race

Ok sorry for jumping in here as i didnt run this race.

Just wondering what is/was wrong with manual timing ?

Ceepo wrote: »

Ok sorry for jumping in here as i didnt run this race.

Just wondering what is/was wrong with manual timing ?

The problem I have with manual timing is not effective. There was 5 people today handling timing from what I cud see 2 on 5km one taking the finishing times one taking the numbers. 3 working the 10km one saying the finishing time one writing the finishing time and one writing the race numbers. Once every1 is finished someone has to input those details onto a computer if ur offering a list of the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭pinkieschick

Really enjoyed this run yesterday, 6-7 was tough but i really enjoyed the wonderful food afterwards, the muc didn't bother me. Well done to everyone who organised this race and thanks will be back next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

Any results ???

Vinnie222 wrote: »
    Any results ???
    results are up on the site now.

Finished 7th fairly happy with that

Really enjoyed it great event.
    Didnt mind the muck the hills were tough between 5.5km and 7km was tough! Still happy with my time, great event will be back next year.

• Advertisement

see this is back again this year, with the addition of a half. Half route is in and out the main road, not a route that grabs me for a half so will give the 10k a lash again

mossym wrote: »
    see this is back again this year, with the addition of a half. Half route is in and out the main road, not a route that grabs me for a half so will give the 10k a lash again

Has the 10k route changed?

Has the 10k route changed?

No, same route

Just looking at the web site kinda looks like the start is half way up the hill!

Just looking at the web site kinda looks like the start is half way up the hill!

I think that's a mistake as if it is right will be closer to 11k as the rest of the route is the same.

Cracking race today. superbly organised. great course, didn't even have the muck of last year. really really enjoyed it and a new pb on the 10km course topped it off. Well done organizers

see this is back for this year, cracking local race last two years, will be doing it again this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MaggotBrain

Sounds good to me, been looking for a good 10K near Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Vito Andolini

Got an email to say longhouse field was open every evening, where is it in the village?

• Advertisement

Got an email to say longhouse field was open every evening, where is it in the village?

it's not. it's on the road from birdhill to newport, maybe 2.5/3 miles up from the village on the left hand side.

Advertisement