Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Britain has invaded 9/10 countries

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

ejmaztec wrote: »
    When they invaded all those countries they went to the local Irish bar to celebrate.

Think the Irish publican has invaded more countries than the Brits ever did, the Irish pubs are fecking everywhere abroad you go to!

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

kowloon wrote: »
    The FOURTH page and nobody has mentioned that the research was done by Stuart Laycock. I'm ashamed of you all. Go to your rooms and think about what you've done.
    My bad. Sorry. the research for the original article was carried out by Stuart Laycock.... Hope that clears things up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Blay wrote: »
    An opinion which differs from your own= narrow minded..gotcha:)

I've nothing against the British but they didn't save us from the Axis powers, they didn't even save themselves, they won the BOB due to the ineptitude of the Germans in pressing home their advantage.

I'm glad that you understand that your opinion is narrow-minded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

I'm glad that you understand that your opinion is narrow-minded.

http://static.tumblr.com/v4vvd40/m75lmpfhe/tumblr_llgaeahjah1qiyqyfo1_500.gif

Hey guys, chillax, anyone remember what the original thread was about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

Nodin wrote: »
    Yeah... imagine invading industrial countries where they had rifles. Sure anyone with a bit of sense and go off and find a place where they've bows and arrows or maybe a few muskets.

you mean like the irish immigrants in america......who still have the land.....

brit hatred is an embarrassment to your country.......makes it a laughing stock.....

most of the world has got on with their lives and future......

V_Moth wrote: »
    I think you will find that Poland and the Polish Airforce, plus the Free French also contributed enormously during 1940 and 1941.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_contribution_to_World_War_II#Air_force
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-British_personnel_in_the_RAF_during_the_Battle_of_Britain
    Not arguing, but the Polish were pretty much pre-occupied with their own difficulties in 1940

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

you ..........and future......

Classic bit of point missing there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

When did they invade Kazakhstan? Or Turkmenistan for that matter?
    Borat wouldn't let them

Can't you do your own version?:confused:

Big Lebowski says it better than I ever could:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

brit hatred is an embarrassment to your country.......makes it a laughing stock.....

Most of the world has got on.... but that doesn't mean they particularly are fond of the Brits...

One only has to read the British nationalist comments on the various sites this story is found to see why one wouldn't be terribly impressed with some modern British attitudes, let alone their history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

and the irish army were wearing german helmets....

i though that may have been a bit dodgy......

Made by Vickers in England!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭reginald

As Jimmy Saville is to England

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

V_Moth wrote: »

I think you will find that Poland and the Polish Airforce, plus the Free French also contributed enormous ly during 1940 and 1941.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_contribution_to_World_War_II#Air_force
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-British_personnel_in_the_RAF_during_the_Battle_of_Britain

Yeah so Polish pilots helped the British defend the Last free outposts of western Europe as did Irish and French pilots. Well done. Just as well the Brits were there for them to serve.
    Doesnt take away frum Britain's r ole in the war.

I'll swap you your Paddy deva neutral and your 'we are ze French rayzistance' and a squadron of Polish pilots for thed British army thank you very much.

• Advertisement

Nodin wrote: »
    Classic bit of point missing there.

you actually have a point...?????

reading some of posts on here, i am embarrassed to be an irishman....

childish ranting seems to be the in thing........

everybody is against us syndrome......it is about the time haters in the nation grew up....they are just being laughed at......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭cosbloodymick

Hate the brits, why?. After the ethnic cleansing of the plantations, The Penal laws, The Famine, Cromwell and the Black and Tans they certainly deserve to be loved!

ezra_pound wrote: »
    I'll swap you your Paddy deva neutral and your 'we are ze French rayzistance' and a squadron of Polish pilots for thed British army thank you very much.

It's the RAF you want chief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

This thread has turned into a WWII discussion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

The analysis is contained in a new book, All the Countries We've Ever Invaded: And the Few We Never Got Round To.
    Stuart Laycock, the author, has worked his way around the globe, through each country alphabetically, researching its history to establish whether, at any point, they have experienced an incursion by Britain.
    Only a comparatively small proportion of the total in Mr Laycock's list of invaded states actually formed an official part of the empire.
    The remainder have been included because the British were found to have achieved some sort of military presence in the territory – however transitory – either through force, the threat of force, negotiation or payment.
    Incursions by British pirates, privateers or armed explorers have also been included, provided they were operating with the approval of their government.
    So, many countries which once formed part of the Spanish empire and seem to have little historical connection with the UK, such as Costa Rica, Ecuador and El Salvador, make the list because of the repeated raids they suffered from state-sanctioned British sailors.

Among some of the perhaps surprising entries on the list are:

* Cuba, where in 1741, a force under Admiral Edward Vernon stormed ashore at Guantánamo Bay. He renamed it Cumberland Bay, before being forced to withdraw in the face of hostile locals and an outbreak of disease among his men. Twenty one years later, Havana and a large part of the island fell to the British after a bloody siege, only to be handed back to the Spanish in 1763, along with another unlikely British possession, the Philippines, in exchange for Florida and Minorca.

*Iceland, invaded in 1940 by the British after the neutral nation refused to enter the war on the Allies side. The invasion force, of 745 marines, met with strong protest from the Iceland government, but no resistance.

* Vietnam, which has experienced repeated incursions by the British since the seventeenth century. The most recent – from 1945 to 1946 – saw the British fight a campaign for control of the country against communists, in a war that has been overshadowed by later conflicts involving first the French and then Americans.

It is thought to be the first time such a list has been compiled.
    Mr Laycock, who has previously published books on Roman history, began the unusual quest after being asked by his 11-year-old son, Frederick, how many countries the British had invaded.
    After almost two years of research he said he was shocked by the answer. "I was absolutely staggered when I reached the total. I like to think I have a relatively good general knowledge. But there are places where it hadn't occurred to me that these things had ever happened. It shocked me.
    "Other countries could write similar books – but they would be much shorter. I don't think anyone could match this, although the Americans had a later start and have been working hard on it in the twentieth century."
    The only other nation which has achieved anything approaching the British total, Mr Laycock said, is France – which also holds the unfortunate record for having endured the most British invasions. "I realise people may argue with some of my reasons, but it is intended to prompt debate," he added.
    He believes the actual figure may well be higher and is inviting the public to get in touch to provide evidence of other invasions.
    In the case of Mongolia, for instance – one of the 22 nations "not invaded", according to the book – he believes it possible that there could have been a British invasion, but could find no direct proof.
    The country was caught up in the turmoil following the Russian Revolution, in which the British and other powers intervened. Mr Laycock found evidence of a British military mission in Russia approximately 50 miles from the Mongolian border, but could not establish whether it got any closer.
    The research lists countries based on their current national boundaries and names. Many of the invasions took place when these did not apply.
    The research covered the 192 other UN member states as well as the Vatican City and Kosovo, which are not member states, but are recognised by the UK government as independent states.
    The earliest invasion launched from these islands was an incursion into Gaul – now France – at the end of the second century. Clodius Albinus led an army, thought to include many Britons, across the Channel in an attempt to seize the imperial throne. The force was defeated in 197 at Lyon.
    Mr Laycock added: "One one level, for the British, it is quite amazing and quite humbling, that this is all part of our history, but clearly there are parts of our history that we are less proud of. The book is not intended as any kind of moral judgment on our history or our empire. It is meant as a light-hearted bit of fun."

So it's just a plug for a fun book, can we get back to slagging the author's silly name?

• Advertisement

you actually have a point...?????

You castigate the Germans for trying to set up an Empire, yet never mention the fact that the British set one up on a large scale.

It's amusing also that your answer to every legitamate criticism of British imperialism is some vague 'but the irish'/'let bygones be bygones' remark.

SaulGoode9 wrote: »
    This thread has turned into a WWII discussion

It's actually turned into WW2 that's what's happened..choose your side carefully now..if you make even a tiny criticism of the British you're the bad guy here and automatically on the Axis side:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

How many countries have the Irish invaded , and without firing a shot either..

reginald wrote: »
    As Jimmy Saville is to England

exactly......and the catholic clergy buggerers......sustained in their position for many many years and they are still about....

your turn....

galwayrush wrote: »
    How many countries have the Irish invaded , and without firing a shot either..

We couldn't invade anyone..we'd establish a beachhead as deep as the first pub and that would be it:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

It's the RAF you want chief.

Thanks guvnah'
    I meant armed forces.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

cue west brits pissed off.. you cant insult great Britain around here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Ireland the longest (843 years and counting.)
    Get over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Overheal wrote: »
    Get over it.

But Overheal, you don't understand! The yoke of English oppression! I feel it in me bones!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

kowloon wrote: »
    But Overheal, you don't understand! The yoke of Eastenders oppression! I feel it in me bones!

Fixed that for you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

keith16 wrote: »
    When did they invade...I don't know....Iceland?

They occupied it during WWII.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Jeboa Safari

coolhull wrote: »
    Battle of Britain 1940, France was already invaded, Hitler hadn't yet invaded Russia, and America hadn't joined the War, so, yes, Britain was the only country that stood between Ireland and the Nazis (not that the Nazis would have bothered with us, they had enough on their plate)

I'd say the more than likely would have bothered with us. There were plans to invade Ireland, and Dublin was seen as one of six(?) admin hqs on the islands if Operation Sealion was successful. They'd also have to deal with the British in the North, and it's unlikely they'd leave Ireland alone and exposed as a weak link on their Atlantic border.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The empire was such a magnificent achievement for such a moderately sized nation. We should be proud that Ireland played such a big role in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

The empire was such a magnificent achievement for such a moderately sized nation. We should be proud disgusted that Ireland played such a big role in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Get over it.

There won't be full closure until this island is united. The british left a divided island here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Britain has invaded 9/10 countries?

Pussys.

(9/10 pussys prefer invasion)

ArtSmart wrote: »
    Britain has invaded 9/10 countries?

Pussys.

(9/10 pussys prefer invasion)

...and those countries liked being invaded so much that most of the people from them are now living in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

The empire was such a magnificent achievement for such a moderately sized nation. We should be proud that Ireland played such a big role in it.

I imagine this is what motivates a lot of Unionists on this forum - the belief that they can live vicariously through the Empire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

We couldn't invade anyone..we'd establish a beachhead as deep as the first pub and that would be it:pac:

We invaded the Brits long before they invaded us, sure didn't we kidnap St Patrick

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

In your utopian world ........ peoples of invaded lands should revere their invaders and revel in the atrocities imposed on them by the opressors. Do you realise that there are only 22 countries in the world that Britain hasn't invaded. Presumably all were invaded for altruistic purposes?
    I realise that you would turn over on your back .......... but some people have got balls.
    Regarding the embarrassment jibe? I think Britain is now a laughing stock - still clinging to the past. Football, cricket, athletics, manufacturing, the Royal Family, the race divides in the cities, the left behinds in the North Country and the oil that only benefitted the corporations. You see, ye have a lot to be proud of!

MANUTD99 wrote: »
    We invaded the Brits long before they invaded us, sure didn't we kidnap St Patrick

It was pretty much downhill after that.

It was like going on a foreign holiday and coming back with the Ebola virus.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Meirleach

Get over it.
    We'll stop complaining about them coming over, when you guys stop celebrating kicking them out ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Meirleach wrote: »
    We'll stop complaining about them coming over, when you guys stop celebrating kicking them out ;-)

Cup of tea anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

As Britain takes a parachute down the ratings. I know I know, very hard to stomach ......... as the British working class get royally shafted.

This is a recent table:

THE PROSPERITY INDEX

TOP 25

1 - Norway
    2 - Denmark
    3 - Sweden
    4 - Australia
    5 - New Zealand
    6 - Canada
    7 - Finland
    8 - Netherlands
    9 - Switzerland
    10 - Ireland
    11 - Luxembourg
    12 - U.S.
    13 - UK
    14 - Germany
    15 - Iceland
    16 - Austria
    17 - Belgium
    18 - Hong Kong
    19 - Singapore
    20 - Taiwan
    21 - France
    22 - Japan
    23 - Spain
    24 - Slovenia
    25 - Malta

• Advertisement

...as a template for ethnic cleansing, disenfranchisement and the rest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Spread wrote: »
    In your utopian world ........ peoples of invaded lands should revere their invaders and revel in the atrocities imposed on them by the opressors. Do you realise that there are only 22 countries in the world that Britain hasn't invaded. Presumably all were invaded for altruistic purposes?
    I realise that you would turn over on your back .......... but some people have got balls.
    Regarding the embarrassment jibe? I think Britain is now a laughing stock - still clinging to the past. Football, cricket, athletics, manufacturing, the Royal Family, the race divides in the cities, the left behinds in the North Country and the oil that only benefitted the corporations. You see, ye have a lot to be proud of!

LOL.

Football, Cricket and Athletics are clinging to the past?

Eleventh Largest Exporter ninth highest GDP Purchasing Parity

Yep, I'm sure people all over the world are pissing themselves:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Funny how they complain about immigrants after invading half the planet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭dizzywizlw

LOL.

Football, Cricket and Athletics are clinging to the past?

Eleventh Largest Exporter ninth highest GDP Purchasing Parity

Yep, I'm sure people all over the world are pissing themselves:rolleyes:

Clinging to the last vestiges of Great Power status, how delightfully quaint and quintessentially British of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

dizzywizlw wrote: »
    Clinging to the last vestiges of Great Power status, how delightfully quaint and quintessentially British of you.

what?:confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement