Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accommodation advice please!

Options
  • 04-11-2012 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭

Hi. In a bit of a dilemma.
    I'm thinking of buying my first property. I am single with no kids.
    I currently rent in the city centre and work in the suburbs. I like the city centre. I was thinking about buying an apartment in the city centre as there are a few affordable ones there. However I don't know whether city centre is a long term prospect.
    Then I thought maybe I should try to find a place in the suburb where I work. Properties here are more expensive. It would be more convenient for work. It's a nice area and would be a good long term area.
    My other issue is that I don't drive so currently get a bus in and out of work.
    If I moved close to work, it also ties me to my current job. I might want to change jobs over the next 40 years. The place might close down.
    If i buy in town now when the economy improves i could move again and sell it or rent it out.
    I really don't know. Any advise???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

phi3 wrote: »
    Hi. In a bit of a dilemma.
    I'm thinking of buying my first property. I am single with no kids.
    I currently rent in the city centre and work in the suburbs. I like the city centre. I was thinking about buying an apartment in the city centre as there are a few affordable ones there. However I don't know whether city centre is a long term prospect.
    Then I thought maybe I should try to find a place in the suburb where I work. Properties here are more expensive. It would be more convenient for work. It's a nice area and would be a good long term area.
    My other issue is that I don't drive so currently get a bus in and out of work.
    If I moved close to work, it also ties me to my current job. I might want to change jobs over the next 40 years. The place might close down.
    If i buy in town now when the economy improves i could move again and sell it or rent it out.
    I really don't know. Any advise???

I would look city centre if you can get a good price abd ge tye mortgage fixed for as long ad possible. Ideally 5 years plus. Just check the maintenance charges arent high! There will always be value for renting out city centre apartments. The recession wont last forever.

Advertisement