Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corrupt Gamertag help please!!!!!!!!

Options
  • 04-11-2012 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭

I desperately seek a miracle here:

Over a year ago my sons xbox was hacked and at the time i reported it to microsoft and they shut down the live service until they finished an inverstigation. After this they reopened my sons account and restored my credit card to take away unwarranted points purchases on the account.

Everything was fine until 4 months ago when the gamertag became corrupt and ever since my son is unable to log into his gamertag as its constantly "greyed out". When you look up the gamertag in the settings it states the gamertag is corrupted.

Now here is the messy part. When we log into the gamertag online on the pc and do a recovery of the password etc the wrong gamertag appears with no records on it.

My son reckons the hackers email address is still linked to his gamertag but we never had the hackers password!

I have called and messaged xbox support several times in the past few weeks and i just keep getting the same drivel being told to go onto the website and fill out a recovery claim page to microsoft, i constantly get a reply 24 hours later stating the information i supplied is insufficient please resubmit again.

Feeling extremely angry with microsoft at this stage, so much money spent on consoles, games and "live" and they are not able to resolve our problem that appears to originate from an attempted hack last year :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Gweedling

A corrupted profile just means the packet of computer information that is your profile is a bit broken. Solution to this is deleting the broken version of the profile and downloading it again from the xbox live servers. In order to re-download the profile you need the Live ID & password for the profile.

""My son reckons the hackers email address is still linked to his gamertag but we never had the hackers password!
    "
    Nope! If you had a UA a year ago, the Live Id for the account will be the case reference number from the UA case eg SRX1176****** or somesuch. This is a security measure that used to be taken by the fraud investigation team.

"Now here is the messy part. When we log into the gamertag online on the pc and do a recovery of the password etc the wrong gamertag appears with no records on it"
    not messy at all. If you sign into xbox.com using a Live ID & password not associated with the gamertag, it gives you a different one. Simply put, you're signing into the website with the email & password that isn't the one for your main gamertag.

"I have called and messaged xbox support several times in the past few weeks and i just keep getting the same drivel being told to go onto the website and fill out a recovery claim page to microsoft, i constantly get a reply 24 hours later stating the information i supplied is insufficient please resubmit again. !

Yup, those questionnaires are a pain.First and foremost you need to find out the correct live ID for the gamertag. Phone up xbox support, tell them you had a UA a year ago and need to find out the correct Live ID so you can reset the password and redownload the profile.

"Feeling extremely angry with microsoft at this stage, so much money spent on consoles, games and "live" and they are not able to resolve our problem that appears to originate from an attempted hack last year "
    Not much Xbox can do with relation to passwords, more of a Windows live thing than opposed to Xbox in specific. We can't reset passwords, but we can show you how to try it yourself.

If you need any other info, drop me a PM or reply on this. At the moment you don't need a miracle, it's just two small problems rolled in to one complicated one. Good luck!

Adam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Gweedling wrote: »
    A corrupted profile just means the packet of computer information that is your profile is a bit broken. Solution to this is deleting the broken version of the profile and downloading it again from the xbox live servers. In order to re-download the profile you need the Live ID & password for the profile.

""My son reckons the hackers email address is still linked to his gamertag but we never had the hackers password!
    "
    Nope! If you had a UA a year ago, the Live Id for the account will be the case reference number from the UA case eg SRX1176****** or somesuch. This is a security measure that used to be taken by the fraud investigation team.

"Now here is the messy part. When we log into the gamertag online on the pc and do a recovery of the password etc the wrong gamertag appears with no records on it"
    not messy at all. If you sign into xbox.com using a Live ID & password not associated with the gamertag, it gives you a different one. Simply put, you're signing into the website with the email & password that isn't the one for your main gamertag.

"I have called and messaged xbox support several times in the past few weeks and i just keep getting the same drivel being told to go onto the website and fill out a recovery claim page to microsoft, i constantly get a reply 24 hours later stating the information i supplied is insufficient please resubmit again. !

Yup, those questionnaires are a pain.First and foremost you need to find out the correct live ID for the gamertag. Phone up xbox support, tell them you had a UA a year ago and need to find out the correct Live ID so you can reset the password and redownload the profile.

"Feeling extremely angry with microsoft at this stage, so much money spent on consoles, games and "live" and they are not able to resolve our problem that appears to originate from an attempted hack last year "
    Not much Xbox can do with relation to passwords, more of a Windows live thing than opposed to Xbox in specific. We can't reset passwords, but we can show you how to try it yourself.

If you need any other info, drop me a PM or reply on this. At the moment you don't need a miracle, it's just two small problems rolled in to one complicated one. Good luck!

Adam

Thanks for going to the trouble of advising me.

Still not working yet sending you a pm now would like to call you? :o

Advertisement