Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick question about a new lease

Options
  • 04-11-2012 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Ok just quick question for anyone in the know.

I have lived in this house for the last 4 years. i signed a years lease when i moved in with 3 other friends, they have since moved on and other people friends have moved in.

Anyway my landlord called unannounced this morning (Sunday) at 9am woke everyone up in the house, i wasnt in. he had a new year long lease and also upped the rent 150 a month. my 3 house mate signed the lease and he asked my younger bother to sign my name which he did.

anyway is the lease still valid? cause I never would have agree to an increase in the rent.

reply would be great thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Castlehaven

markg86 wrote: »
    Ok just quick question for anyone in the know.

I have lived in this house for the last 4 years. i signed a years lease when i moved in with 3 other friends, they have since moved on and other people friends have moved in.

Anyway my landlord called unannounced this morning (Sunday) at 9am woke everyone up in the house, i wasnt in. he had a new year long lease and also upped the rent 150 a month. my 3 house mate signed the lease and he asked my younger bother to sign my name which he did.

anyway is the lease still valid? cause I never would have agree to an increase in the rent.

reply would be great thank you.

The increase is not legal - a landlord has to give 28 days notice in writing of any rent increase.

Also he cannot force you to sign a new fixed term lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

markg86 wrote: »
    he asked my younger bother to sign my name which he did.
    I wonder can your bro legally do this? I'm thinking not.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

A lease would only be valid if all persons named on it signed it. Your brother forging your signature does not count...

Also check that the rent increase is in line with the market value ror rent in your area. €150 a month increase sounds very steep unless you were paying well below the average to start with.

And inform r landlord that the next time he shows up unannounced you will be reporting him to the PRTB.

Advertisement