Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saw a puppy does but concerned?

• 05-11-2012 12:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭

Last December I had to get my dog lucy put to sleep. Nearly a year later I am very seriously considering letting another dog in. I saw a dog online that i would be very interested in.

However (why does my life contain so many "however's":)) the mother of the pups is also for sale. I obviously have not talked to this person yet but just wondering would I be best to just not look in the first place.........problem is of course i have let my imagination run away and the puppy is already sitting in front of the fire :D I know they have the father too and he does not seem to be up for sale.

Any Thought?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I understand what you're going through, and I can see what you're saying. But I would avoid if at all possible.

I would be asking:
    How old is the pup?
    How old is the mother?
    How many litters has she had?
    And - why is the mother being sold?

Smells fishy to me OP. I think this sound very much like a puppy farm to me. Did you see the advert on Done Deal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I know the ad you are talking about, saw it myself earlier. Absolutely beautiful looking dogs but to me if the mother is being shipped off too it makes me think that a. she has been over bred so they can't register any more pups from her or b. she may have been stolen and they are trying to clear their tracks. Of course they may have a genuine reason for having to sell her too, but to sell her at the same time as the pups screams to me that they are after one thing: €€€€€.

You should try locating the breed club and asking them about reputable breeders who may have litters at the mo, but as i'm sure you know yourself the best breeders usually avoid selling pups this time of year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

Your suspicions are already raised so perhaps best thing is to leave it before you get in deeper. Im not sure what breed you are looking for and I dont want to push the rescue route but you could check if the DSPCA are ready to rehome the pups they intercepted near Dublin port and will be looking for homes shortly.

If you want to go the real pedigree route that as others have said go through the Kennel Club - at least that you should be avoiding, though I know it isnt always the case, poor breeders.

On another note I think its lovely that you are considering gettig a new dog after losing your old ones. You have already taken time before deciding to get a new dog so maybe waiting just a little bit longer wont be any harm. There are so many dogs out there to chose from - not just rescues - its worth waiting to get the right one for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

OP, just to tell you my experience after my dog died, after a few months I thought I was ready to get another dog but I decided to volunteer at a rescue first, just to walk some dogs, to see if I was really ready to be around dogs again because I'd been so devasted after he died. I only lasted a week I just couldn't cope with going there every day and seeing so many dogs and the noise and the smell it was heartbreaking, but I ended up taking home the first dog I had walked, a big mutt with a limp and (turns out) a heart condition, but 5 and a half years down the line, after thinking I could never love another dog again (cue the violins) I'm besotted with him and I can't believe he ended up in a rescue (and was even rehomed and brought back because he 'didn't fit in').

Now, I'm not saying you should go the rescue route over a pedigree, that's your personal choice, but I found by walking some dogs and being around them and seeing lots of different dogs/puppies, I could really decide it was definitely what I wanted before I committed to taking a dog full time.

Good luck with your decision!

Advertisement