Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squirrels

Options
  • 05-11-2012 1:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭

I grew up in Greystones - prior to about 3 years ago I had never seen a squirrel around the town, now they seem to be everywhere. I've seen them on Church Lane, in the Burnaby (the estate, not the pub, yet), at St Patrick's School and several other places.

One walked across my back garden this morning, coming right up to the back window (despite our dog going crazy on the other side of the glass :pac:). Anyone else noticed this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

I'm guessing they're grey squirrels. I've lived in G'stones for close to 40 yrs and I've never seen any.

Nice to see perhaps but they are a rodent.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭vinpaul

Yes they are the grey ones. I've seen them around the Burnaby and anywhere that has plenty of high trees. John posted a nice picture of one some weeks ago. Don't know where it was taken, but it was in Greystones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

I've seen them around Tesco. Wherever there is food, you will find squirrels and Greystones has greatly increased its commerce in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Greystones Golf Course is full of Grey Squirrels too.
    All the plums from my plum tree were taken by squirrels this year :mad:

7985625154_7469fd4e4f_z.jpg
    Frightened Squirrel by pixbyjohn, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Burnaby is full of Greys. I doubt there are any reds in this town. Some in Bray but greys there also. Greys are not shy and are found in Dublin City Cenre now and can be hand fed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭treecreeper

yep, one ran along my boundary wall a few days ago, a grey

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Blanchflower

Does anyone know if there any bounty if one apprehends these nasty vicious pests? I understand that there is talk of making a fur coat for the ladies out of genuine Greystones Grey Squirrels. Is this true?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Does anyone know if there any bounty if one apprehends these nasty vicious pests? I understand that there is talk of making a fur coat for the ladies out of genuine Greystones Grey Squirrels. Is this true?
    No bounty for squirrels
    Mink bounty I think is 4.50

It is confirmed there is a bounty of €3 for the Grey Squirrel.

You can download a Grey Squirrel Bounty Form from the website of The National Association of Regional Game Councils.

http://www.nargc.ie/spotlight-container/mink-and-grey-squirrel-bounties---important-notice.aspx

It is now high time to exterminate Grey Squirrels.

It is confirmed there is a bounty of €3 for the Grey Squirrel.

You can download a Grey Squirrel Bounty Form from the website of The National Association of Regional Game Councils.

http://www.nargc.ie/spotlight-container/mink-and-grey-squirrel-bounties---important-notice.aspx

It is now high time to exterminate Grey Squirrels.

Do you seriously plan to go out and kill some squirrels?

• Advertisement

Grey Squirrels are vermin (like rats). They cause huge damage to native trees and need to be controlled.

Grey Squirrels are vermin (like rats). They cause huge damage to native trees and need to be controlled.

I don't need to watch a youtube video to understand squirrel problems! However I can't really take you seriously, what with the comment about the squirrel coat.
    You didn't answer my question BTW.

Rasmus wrote: »

Do you seriously plan to go out and kill some squirrels?
    Well if I'm out shootin and come across one il shoot it
    They are main reason to why our local reds are near extinct
    They kill off young birds and their eggs and carry squirrel pox and they won't die from it but our reds get badly infected and die

Well if I'm out shootin and come across one il shoot it
    They are main reason to why our local reds are near extinct
    They kill off young birds and their eggs and carry squirrel pox and they won't die from it but our reds get badly infected and die

In the country that's one thing. In Greystones though? Surely one is not allowed to hunt in urban areas?

No they are not but that's not to say someone won't find some way of killin them
    And I hope someone does
    Its not just greystones
    I've seen a few in tallaght village and in behind my job aswell

Rasmus wrote: »
    I don't need to watch a youtube video to understand squirrel problems! However I can't really take you seriously, what with the comment about the squirrel coat.
    You didn't answer my question BTW.

The grey squirrel coat was just a joke. I mean would you wear a rat coat? The very idea of a grey squirrell coat is ridiculous.

My concern is that people in general think that these creatures are nice and cuddly. They are nothing of the kind. The grey squirrel is an invasive species which was only introduced to Ireland 100 years ago when it was brought onto lands at Castleforbes Estate in Co Longford. They are vermin and a major pest. Grey squirrels are a major threat to the survival of our native red squirrel and to the future of broadleaf trees as they destroy vigorous healthy trees through bark stripping. They also carry a pox virus which kills the native red species. They are vile, nasty horrible creatures with no redeeming features.

Recently there have been reports of two cases of the virus in Co Wicklow and another in Antrim.

I will certainly do all I can to control the grey squirrel population but I fear that I am a lone voice.

Sightings can be easily recorded on a form on www.woodlandmammals.com by emailing margaret.flaherty@nuigalway.ie.

The grey squirrel coat was just a joke. I mean would you wear a rat coat? The very idea of a grey squirrell coat is ridiculous.

My concern is that people in general think that these creatures are nice and cuddly. They are nothing of the kind. The grey squirrel is an invasive species which was only introduced to Ireland 100 years ago when it was brought onto lands at Castleforbes Estate in Co Longford. They are vermin and a major pest. Grey squirrels are a major threat to the survival of our native red squirrel and to the future of broadleaf trees as they destroy vigorous healthy trees through bark stripping. They also carry a pox virus which kills the native red species. They are vile, nasty horrible creatures with no redeeming features.

Recently there have been reports of two cases of the virus in Co Wicklow and another in Antrim.

I will certainly do all I can to control the grey squirrel population but I fear that I am a lone voice.

Sightings can be easily recorded on a form on www.woodlandmammals.com by emailing margaret.flaherty@nuigalway.ie.

Understood. If you endevour to kill squirrels in an urban area I hope you do it safely, however.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

"Recently there have been reports of two cases of the virus in Co Wicklow and another in Antrim."

So the grey squirrel has become the urban equivalent of the much maligned rural badger.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭millie35

My dogs caught a grey squirrel and ripped it apart. It was very gruesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

This is done :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement