Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Measuring chimney pressure/draught to help diagnose under-performing range cooker

Options
  • 05-11-2012 1:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭

We've recently installed Stanley Donard solid fuel range cooker. It was installed to replace a 30 year old Stanley range whose boiler had recently given up the ghost. The old Stanley was fantastic for cooking with oven temperatures easily reaching 450 degrees F. However it wasn't great at heating the radiators in the house.

Since we install the new range, it's been impossible to get it up to 450F. Ironically, the rads are much better heated now, but this seems to be down to the design of the new cooker.. We've found the fire isn't burning as intensely as it should, even with all air flows fully open (spin valves and manual temperature controls).

Yesterday it was pretty windy, and the oven temperature shot up to 500F, so it looks like there simply isn't enough up-draught in the chimney for the new cooker, even though it meets all requirements in terms of stack height, bends, etc.

The room the cooker is in is well-ventilated, and we're using properly dried timber. At this stage, the chief suspect is the chimney. I'm just wondering if anyone has diagnosed a similar issue themselves or got someone in to help properly determine the cause of the issue? I'd really like to be able to measure the pull up the chimney under normal conditions.
    What I'm looking for is a chimney engineer, for want of a better word.
    I'd greatly appreciate any advice or recommendations from people who might have had a similar issue.

Comments

Advertisement