Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grinds

• 05-11-2012 1:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭

Hi,
    my son is doing Leaving cert in June and I was thinking of getting him some revision courses at Christmas in Spanish,Physics and English (higher level). Can anyone recommend revision courses eg. Ashfield College that would have good revision notes included. I have no experience of the fore-mentioned company, and am using it as an example only. TIA John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭paulgalway

Before you decide on looking for grinds, should read this.

Daughter got grinds 2 yrs ago, but didn't improve her results.
    Son did the leaving last year, no grinds and he did excellent.

I believe you got to look at the student's motivation and willingness to learn/study.

However, grinds maybe beneficial where teacher is not measuring up and does not give good notes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

Past leaving cert students advertise their grinds in the special thread here. Whether it's beneficial or not really depends on the student and their aims. It's much easier to bring up a student from a D3 to a C1, than say from a B2 to an A1. Ask him whether he wants the grinds or not and whether he feels he would benefit.

Personally, I did a Christmas revision course in Yeats College for English and Physics. I found English extremely helpful and the notes were spot on, due maybe to the fact that the teacher was very good.

Physics course did nothing for me though, I was at a D3 level and I stayed there after the course. After the mocks I took initiative with the subject myself and brought myself up to A1 standard and got an A2 in the Leaving Cert.

Sometimes grinds are not helpful at all, sometimes they can be of great benefit and only your son can judge that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Walker34

Thanks for the info folks.....its appreciated.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭Skinhead Kane

If you need any information on Ashfield College, don't hesitate to message me. I'm a 5th year student there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭user.name

Some grinds can be helpful some cannot be. Try get your son to ask his teachers about grinds. Usually some know other teachers who are willing to give grinds. They are actually benefitial. I got brought up from a low d to a c in the Junior cert and I'm in 6th year now and flying through higher maths with the grinds I am getting every week :P
    try URL snipped not sure if you will find anything here, but I found my maths grind teacher here

• Advertisement
Advertisement