Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ian Holloway - managerial hypocrite

• 05-11-2012 3:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭

So Holloway is the new boss at Palace. Nothing wrong with that you may think. Not until you take what he did in 2007 into account.

Here is a quote of his from his Wikipedia page:
    I had a year out of football and had to think about what went wrong in my life. I was given some decent values from my mum and dad in our council house, and one of them was honesty and trust and loyalty. And I forgot to do all that at Plymouth. I left them. And I made the biggest mistake of my life.

Thus he admits to leaving Plymouth in the lurch, deserting them if you wish. All for a bit of glory and bigger wages at Leicester City - who he ended up relegating, aint karma a bitch. Yet 5 years down the line, what does he do only the exact same thing to Blackpool! :eek:

Now, there are those of you who will say he had little money/resources to work with at Blackpool. That may be true, but he also had, by Championship standards a relatively decent side, who reached the playoffs last season. There is a chance some of the better players like Tom Ince and Gary Taylor Fletcher may be sold in January. But at Crystal Palace, Holloway won't have any more financial clout than he had in Lacashire. There's equally as good a chance that the likes of Wilfred Zaha or Glenn Murray could be sold too if they are not challenging for promotion come the transfer window.

I do like Ian Holloway, as a person, but i can't help but think of him as the ultimate hypocrite. I don't know whether he walked out on Blackpool for financial or geographical reasons. Either way, he hasn't learnt his lesson.

Would has expected better from a man of his standing.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Football is full of hypocrisies, he isn't the only one guilty of them. It's part of the pandering to whoever you're affiliated with at the time.

Having said that, I still can't stand him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Football is full of hypocrisies, he isn't the only one guilty of them. It's part of the pandering to whoever you're affiliated with at the time.

Having said that, I still can't stand him.
    I know managers contradict themselves every week in the media, especially regarding tackles fouls (Wenger is the worst for this), but why did Holloway come out with that statement in 2007 if he wasn't going to stand by it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Because he left them? The Blackpool chairman has said himself he would have drove Holloway himself to a meeting with another club because he thought so much of him.

Leaving a club doesn't always make someone a deserter. The Plymouth scenario was also quite different, Holloway submitted his resignation before he was announced as Leicester manager. This was the basis of his regret, and the way it was done.

Corholio wrote: »
    Because he left them? The Blackpool chairman has said himself he would have drove Holloway himself to a meeting with another club because he thought so much of him.

Leaving a club doesn't always make someone a deserter. The Plymouth scenario was also quite different, Holloway submitted his resignation before he was announced as Leicester manager. This was the basis of his regret, and the way it was done.
    How was it different? Because to me it's more or less the same scenario, with the only difference this time being a sideways move, rather than a perceived move to a bigger club. He has left a team in the lurch - again.

I don't care what the chairman said. Holloway had a contract with Blackpool, a club he had taken to the Premier League only two seasons before. And one which he seemingly displayed a lot of passion for. Now if, for example, a club the size of Villa or Sunderland came a calling, then perhaps you might, just might, excuse him. But to Palace?? A Championship rival, and very much a sideways move. It makes no sense.

Just watch Blackpool now, they will plummet like a stone. Beaten 4-1 yesterday by an awful Derby side. The players were only informed of Holloway's official exit on Saturday morning, so hardly good preparation for a game of football on the same day. The players are clearly in shock, and it showed in how they played.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Have you got a more credible source for that 'quote' than wikipedia?

• Advertisement

SantryRed wrote: »
    No. There's nothing wrong with Wikipedia. Vast majority of its articles are peer reviewed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

grenache wrote: »
    How was it different? Because to me it's more or less the same scenario, with the only difference this time being a sideways move, rather than a perceived move to a bigger club. He has left a team in the lurch - again.

I don't care what the chairman said. Holloway had a contract with Blackpool, a club he had taken to the Premier League only two seasons before. And one which he seemingly displayed a lot of passion for. Now if, for example, a club the size of Villa or Sunderland came a calling, then perhaps you might, just might, excuse him. But to Palace?? A Championship rival, and very much a sideways move. It makes no sense.

Just watch Blackpool now, they will plummet like a stone. Beaten 4-1 yesterday by an awful Derby side. The players were only informed of Holloway's official exit on Saturday morning, so hardly good preparation for a game of football on the same day. The players are clearly in shock, and it showed in how they played.

How was it different??

Because he handed in his resignation, presumably cos he had heard of Leicester's interest, before they had agreed any sort of deal with Plymouth. In this case it was all done in house after Palace had approached them. It's not the same thing at all, only thing the same was he went to another club.

Chairmen can sack managers just as easy as managers can leave a club. Contracts mean very little these days. I'm not Holloway's, the person, biggest fan at all, but for him moving to Palace is a risk, so its not like he'd be absolutely raking it in. Definitely don't think he's a hypocrite.

How was it different??

Because he handed in his resignation, presumably cos he had heard of Leicester's interest, before they had agreed any sort of deal with Plymouth. In this case it was all done in house after Palace had approached them. It's not the same thing at all, only thing the same was he went to another club.
    Fair enough, point taken.
    Chairmen can sack managers just as easy as managers can leave a club. Contracts mean very little these days. I'm not Holloway's, the person, biggest fan at all, but for him moving to Palace is a risk, so its not like he'd be absolutely raking it in. Definitely don't think he's a hypocrite.
    The main point I'm arguing is that for the second time in his career, albeit under slighty different circumstances, he has left a smaller club who he had done great things with, to go to a bigger club who just happen to be performing well. To me, he has run away from Blackpool when they needed him to dig in and inspire the players. Under him they have over-achieved for each of the last three season - even in the Prem when they took the fight for survival to the last day. He had something good going there and seems to have really enjoyed his time at the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

OP, do you stand by everything you said FIVE years ago?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,261 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

If you're reading his wiki, then surely you saw the bit about his family situation?

AFAIK, they still live in Bristol so he was travelling to and from Blackpool all the time. My understanding would be it's easier to travel to and from London. I imagine that had a big part to play in his move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

If you're reading his wiki, then surely you saw the bit about his family situation?

AFAIK, they still live in Bristol so he was travelling to and from Blackpool all the time. My understanding would be it's easier to travel to and from London. I imagine that had a big part to play in his move.
    That's correct and his 3 daughters are deaf I believe, this job allowed them the chance to be close on a daily basis.

He has done a lot for Blackpool, I don't see how he can be criticized for taking this job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

No. There's nothing wrong with Wikipedia. Vast majority of its articles are peer reviewed.

the source of that quote, according to wikipedia, is:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1281133/Blackpools-road-riches-The-futures-er-tangerine-Holloways-Seaside-Barmy-Army-party-pride.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Meh. Sure only a month ago Dougie Freedman said he'd started a project at Palace and was going nowhere.

Happens all the time in football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

You know Wiki usually always give a source for things ?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Holloway#Plymouth_Argyle

That's where the quote is on Wiki & Here is where their source is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

a bit harsh on holloway, he has done brilliantly with blackpool, almost getting them back to the prem last year. a good appointment palace as holloway will do a good job for them and they will be in a with a chance of the playoffs. i hope blackpool dont' start to go on the slide as they made a decent start to the season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I absolutely despise Holloway and the 'one of the lads' way he tries to represent himself. When Blackpool were relegated I was delighted as I wouldn't have to look at his smug face anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

The motivation behind it is for his family more than anything, his 3 deaf girls work in London and this move gives him the opportunity to see them daily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Have a look at Henning Bergs comments, they are epic.

In short, in summer when he was questioned would he be interested in the job, he outlined how the club was a sham, a shadow of its former self. That it was going into the ground and no respectable manager would go near that job.

Then the other week outlined all the usual ****e about great club, fans and we can do well blah blah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Are Blackpool due compensation? Would imagine if the parting was as amicable as it appears there must be a few bob coming their way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Thread title annoys the sh1.t out of me, I have to say. I have to laugh at the people who use the 'he has no loyalty' card every time a bloke decides to make a change in his life.

Imo he took that club literally as far as he was allowed to / capable of. Actually, he probably took it much further than it should have gotten, given the resources. Nobody knows what has gone on, he could easily have seen this and may have acted accordingly.

He owes nothing to Blackpool, he has given the city a lot as it is, and he has left them in a strong state.....not in 'the lurch'.

I have time for the guy, unlike many on here it seems. I think he's a great character and the sport needs a few like him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Sútalún

I'm guilty, as we all are, of judging a manager's personality on just post-match interviews and other snippets. In this instance, I think it's very unfair to drag up quotes from 5 years ago, when he seems to be moving for personal reasons, which are far more important than any 'club loyalty', especially, as some have said, he has given a lot to Blackpool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

Ha! try telling that to any university professor/newspaper/new editor :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Are Blackpool due compensation? Would imagine if the parting was as amicable as it appears there must be a few bob coming their way.

400k apparently,nice parting gift to Blackpool,a club run on a total shoestring,even the players have to wash their own jerseys apparently or used to be the case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Soups123 wrote: »
    That's correct and his 3 daughters are deaf I believe, this job allowed them the chance to be close on a daily basis.

He has done a lot for Blackpool, I don't see how he can be criticized for taking this job.

this is why i find him so likeable, in a world of over paid spoilt brats

Fair enough, point taken.

The main point I'm arguing is that for the second time in his career, albeit under slighty different circumstances, he has left a smaller club who he had done great things with, to go to a bigger club who just happen to be performing well. To me, he has run away from Blackpool when they needed him to dig in and inspire the players. Under him they have over-achieved for each of the last three season - even in the Prem when they took the fight for survival to the last day. He had something good going there and seems to have really enjoyed his time at the club.

How dare he try to advance his career just because it's football!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭Danye

How dare he try to advance his career just because it's football!!!

From what I can gather, the point the OP is making is that it's not a move to advance his career. He's going to a club in the same league as the team he left.

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with the OP but I think that's the point he is trying to make. I think? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I don't see what the fuss is about - either he's leaving for family reasons, or he's leaving for career reasons. It's football - this is what happens.

Either way I don't think he's done anything to be ashamed of. Does anybody know what Blackpool fans make of it? Is there just disappointment, or is there anger too?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Never seen anything like this happen before in football. Shocked. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Thus he admits to leaving Plymouth in the lurch, deserting them if you wish. All for a bit of glory and bigger wages at Leicester City - who he ended up relegating, aint karma a bitch. Yet 5 years down the line, what does he do only the exact same thing to Blackpool! :eek:

I'd imagine most Blackpool fans would bite your hand off if you had offered them the experience of being relegated from the premier league.

• Advertisement

OP has a serious problem with Holloway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Pats player said last night to fans in Red Cow, he will go to whoever offers him the most money. If Pats match it he will stay.

Is he a ****? Or is he an honest player?

Fans are hypocrites too, its our job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Pats player said last night to fans in Red Cow, he will go to whoever offers him the most money. If Pats match it he will stay.

That's one of the things I find fascinating about LOI. Dublin traditionally has a core of four 'top' clubs in the top division (Bohs/Pats/Rovers/Shels) and you could probably find hundreds of players who have played for most or even all of them, despite the rivalry.

I don't blame those players one bit either in that example. But it shows you what football really is all about when you're in a position where actually have to make these choices. It's great for fans to bang on about 'loyalty' when they're not the ones who have to earn a living out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,591 ✭✭✭✭CSF

dreamers75 wrote: »

At our level, I think its honest enough. There does come a point in the wage scale where other things should become more important though.

Would I get anywhere if I asked who that player was?

Advertisement