Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going home for xmas- flight insurance?

Options
  • 05-11-2012 5:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hey all,

I've been living here on this side of the world for a year and a half, and I'm travelling home for a month in December. With the weather expected to be exceptionally rubbish this winter, I want to get good flight cancellation and baggage insurance. My travel insurance has lapsed, but I'm due to invest in the insanely expensive Aussie health cover next year.

I checked a few websites for cover, and the best I can find is over $200 for a couple. That's relatively ok for a month's travel, but I just want cover during my flight time.

Irish insurance seems much better value, but I'm no longer an Irish resident (over 12 months abroad), and I'm only considered a resident with a handful of Australian insurers-457 visa, permanent residential address, but not a resident.

Does anyone have any suggestions for good value insurance? Thanks :D:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Have you considered taking out a credit card that has travel insurance ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 amosling

Zambia wrote: »

I actually didn't consider that. The credit card fee is certainly less than insurance. I'll check with my bank and see if we're eligible. Thanks for the suggestion :)

Any other recommendations will be welcomed. I'm sure there are a few people heading home for Christmas that might have the same issue.

Zambia wrote: »

Just checked the details with my bank and you need to be a permanent resident to avail of travel insurance offer. I'll see if there are any other banks that offer it, but if not, back to the drawing board :(

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

If you're not a resident then the credit card isn't an option unfortunately.

I have free travel insurance on mine and it's so handy, are you travelling by yourself?

Thanks for the replies. Looked at the credit card terms and they classify a resident as someone who resides in Australia and who has a Medicare card. Rang my bank and asked if having limited medicare entitlements is the same thing but they couldn't answer me. Would be great if the CC would work but it's not looking good.

Travelling with the boyfriend (defacto), and he's in the same position. Awfully frustrating that I don't have official residency status in either country. Makes things like buying insurance an awful pain in the a*se :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The bank has to be able to answer you, ask to be put through to their Direct Sales section.

Or walk into a branch.

Advertisement