Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there anything decent coming out soon

• 05-11-2012 5:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭

All in all I think this was a fairly crappy year for games, all I got was Max Payne and Sleeping Dogs, Max was great and sleeping dogs was okay, there has literally been nothing out and doesn't look like there will be.

I don't do Fifa, I don't usually bother getting the new COD until it has gone down in price because I don't play online and it's not worth it for 6 hours of gameplay, Assassins Creed 3 got bored of that near the end of two. Am I missing something, is there anything decent coming out for Xmas at all or am I doomed to be playing of the Uncharted Series yet again.

Have a PS3 and a 360 and would really like some recommendations of anything different or interesting coming out, thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Start playing online, tends to be the focus of a lot of games. Skyrim maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Suppose XCOM would be something different to a lot of titles out at the moment. Forza Horizon is also meant to be fairly decent.

Big upcoming games would be Hitman: Absolution, Black Ops 2, Far Cry 3, Halo 4. My wallet will be weeping before The year is finished :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

I agree it's been very weak and one of the reasons is that a lot of the big AAA games aren't coming out until Spring 2013 - with GTA V, Tomb Raider, Bioshock Infinite and Dead Space 3 all seemingly within 3 months of one another.

However, I'm keeping a close eye on Hitman: Absolution and Far Cry 3. I think Hitman especially could be the sleeper hit of the year and should feel fresh considering it has been so long that we've seen a Hitman game and there's a lot that can be done to streamline it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

areyawell wrote: »
    Start playing online, tends to be the focus of a lot of games. Skyrim maybe?

Crappy Internet connection and listening to assholes talk **** each other does not make for a good experience. I'm much much more into my story lines, love running through a decent storyline.

As for skyrim I tried out oblivion and couldn't get into it at all. But thanks anyway.

Gonna look into hitman, never played it before but sounds like a decent premise. Thanks guys keep um coming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭caste_in_exile

Lots coming out. I am talking about february, and beyond but the Hitman Absoltion stage demo 'Streets of Hope' got me salivating... nicely rendered 1950s neighborhood but I don't wanna spoil an entire stage for you like I did me. Probably the best one too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    Crappy Internet connection and listening to assholes talk **** each other does not make for a good experience. I'm much much more into my story lines, love running through a decent storyline.

As for skyrim I tried out oblivion and couldn't get into it at all. But thanks anyway.

Gonna look into hitman, never played it before but sounds like a decent premise. Thanks guys keep um coming.

I'm quite similar in that I don't really care for online and thrive on story-driven games. Have you tried The Walking Dead downloadable episodes? Download the first and see what you think, it has some excellent storytelling and gives you some tough choices.

Also, although it starts (deliberately) generic, Spec Ops: The Line has a really engrossing story and is very much the opposite of the dudebro military shooter storylines that persist. Also, no mention of Mass Effect 3? Another highlight in storytelling this year, especially since they cleared up much of the botched original ending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

You shouldn't always look to "new games" for the answer, you've probably missed some amazing ones along the way.

Have you played

-Portal 2
    -Bioshock 1/2
    -Saints Row 2/3
    -Deus Ex HR
    -Batman Arkham Asylum/City
    These are games that you'd get fairly cheap but are absolutely amazing.

You could also go down the Metacritic list and see if there's anything you missed in recent years

http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/score/metascore/all/xbox360?view=condensed&sort=desc

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Borderlands 2's awesome

You can pick up a lot of games cheap if you haven't already played them. I got the two Batman games this year and they're very good. Uncharted 1-3, GOW 1-3, Resistance 1-3..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LostCorkGuy

Far Cry 3 looks amazing , and I can't wait for Absoultion , both of which are out this month
    It's a fantastic month for gaming

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

have you played witcher 2?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

I've had plenty to choose from this year,

Mass Effect 3
    Max Payne 3
    The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition
    Sleeping Dogs
    Dishonored
    Doom III BFG Edition
    X-Com Enemy Unknown
    Borderlands 2
    Dark Souls Prepare to Die Edition
    Resident Evil 6

Still have Assassins Creed 3, Hitman Absolution and Far Cry 3 to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Some great games came out this year.

Skyrim
    Borderlands2
    XCom
    Mass Effect 3
    The Witcher 2
    Batman AC

Borderlands and Witcher are probably my top picks for the year as a whole.

Skyrim was epic, but it's too big. Your character becomes overpowered before you've covered 50% of the content and it get too easy to stay interesting.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Skryim and Batman AC where released last year.
    As was the The Witcher 2 but that was re-released this year with additional content.

Amazing game. Fantastic story.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

This thread makes me sad that I just don't have nearly enough time to play half of these to the extent they should be :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

For the rest of the year now theres noting for me anyways
    But early next year is gonna be massive

Tomb raider
    God of war 4
    Dead space 3
    GTA 5(hopfully)

I wish tomb raider was out next month though instead of all those games coming out within a few weeks of oneanother o well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Personally I think it's been a great year;

Borderlands 2
    X-com Enemy Unknown
    Dishonored
    Dark Souls (PTDE)
    Diablo3
    Torchlight2
    Skyrim
    Mass Effect 3 (Although I'm not it's biggest fan)
    Journey
    Persona 4: Arena
    The Witcher 2 enhanced
    The Walking Dead series
    Darksiders 2
    Sleeping Dogs
    Kingdoms of Amalur
    Dragons Dogma
    Spec Ops: The Line
    Black Mesa (Free)
    Legend of Grimrock

If you can't find at least 5 games on that list that don't do it for you I would be very surprised!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

You left out resi 6 cmon its a great game people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,116 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

For story alone the Batman games rank up there as the greatest (imo), the ending to City could leave you in tears (Hint: watch the credits!).

first one must've gone over my head but Prey 2 looks good:

lots of noen lighting; sure paints a purty picture 60fps too... early next year

first one must've gone over my head but Prey 2 looks good:

lots of noen lighting; sure paints a purty picture 60fps too... early next year

lol, no. unfortunately.

hasnt been cancelled.. yet, but it's "On hold"

• Advertisement

yep saw it was cancelled, then not so will see how correct recent release dates are. all I can go by

I read up on it there on hold is one thing but whats "In Limbo" precisely?! neither here nor where, fcuk that

well since prey 1 seems to have slipped you by it wont be a total loss, it's a great fps. one of the few with engaging characters and it's pretty damn fun to play as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Just wanted to say thanks lads, good few interesting titles, will be picking up Hitman on release day as long as reviews are decent, borderlands 2, I never played the original and would like to give that a go before I buy the new one, so must try and pick that up, hard to get now though since it is so old.

I tried bio shock and could never take to it, the same for dead space and mass effect.
    Will be picking up the full walking dead game as well when that comes out, have only played the 1st episode.

Advertisement