Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mk1 Octavia VRS clutch change (and possibly dmf)

Options
  • 05-11-2012 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭

My clutch had been slipping for a while, just over-revving a bit under harsh acceleration, but over the weekend, it's finally given up I think :(

The car still drives, but it feels like you're taking off in 5th gear, very sluggish, and when you do give it a bit of throttle, it just free revs up the rev range without much acceleration at all.

The possible good news is there isn't any juddering or any different noise on idle, the clutch pedal feels as consistent as always. So I'm hoping it's just the clutch and not dual mass flywheel.

Anybody have any thoughts?

(For the record, the car is a 2002, with 131k miles, and has always been regularly serviced, and well looked after)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,292 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Remapped it ?

Some clutches don't deal with the extra torque longterm, i only say as if you have you may need an upgraded version

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

The clutch and flywheel assembly is cheap enough for these cars so if I were you I would just replace the whole lot while the job was being done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

Remapped it ?

Some clutches don't deal with the extra torque longterm, i only say as if you have you may need an upgraded version

No, not remapped. All standard, no modifications at all, on standard boost etc.
    The clutch and flywheel assembly is cheap enough for these cars so if I were you I would just replace the whole lot while the job was being done.

Is it cheap? I've heard silly prices. Have you a link/suggestion as to where you'd pick one up cheap? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,292 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Are you going to do the job yourself?

• Advertisement

Are you going to do the job yourself?

No won't be doing it myself.

If you are paying someone else to do the job then that is all the more reason to go for the full kit including the flywheel, otherwise you run the risk of having to pay twice for labour if the flywheel subsequently gives trouble.

Ballpark figure for replacement of clutch would be €500 including parts, labour, VAT etc versus about €700 for the clutch and flywheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

It's recommended to do the flywheel at the same time as the clutch,had it done on the vrs I owned a few years ago.I spent the money on a uprated kit though at the time

Cheers folks :)

Ya it makes sense to replace the dmf too while the box is off.

I've been recommended replacing with a smf instead.

And have been quoted £305stg for a replacement either dmf or smf, with, clutch kit and all the bearings needed from CG Motorsport in UK. (traders on briskoda.net). Has anybody dealt with them before?

Advertisement