Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best/Any Chance of obtaining a year long working visa USA

Options
  • 05-11-2012 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi,

I have an advanced diploma in Event Management and two years working in the industry as well as a year working in production and media industry.

What is my best way of going about this or is there any chance?

Cheers
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

There are no year long working visas for the USA, other than the J1 but you'd need to graduate within one year to take advantage to that. Most work visas are designed for longer term use, and come with cost that really only make them relevant to that ($5000+ for the employer who sponsors you, plus of course your salary). There are some specific media visas I know little about but for any work visa, the common H1B or media, you'd need a sponsor. ie an employer who arranges the visa for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 nangitoholmes

silja wrote: »
    There are no year long working visas for the USA, other than the J1 but you'd need to graduate within one year to take advantage to that. Most work visas are designed for longer term use, and come with cost that really only make them relevant to that ($5000+ for the employer who sponsors you, plus of course your salary). There are some specific media visas I know little about but for any work visa, the common H1B or media, you'd need a sponsor. ie an employer who arranges the visa for you.

Thanks for the quick reply.. So realistically the only way you can get a one year visa is through the J1?

Yes. There is nothing stopping you from using another work visa for one year only, but if the employer is aware you only intend to stay one year, they may not hire you, unless you are really, truly marvelous at what you do.

Yes. There is nothing stopping you from using another work visa for one year only, but if the employer is aware you only intend to stay one year, they may not hire you, unless you are really, truly marvelous at what you do.

But would I qualify for another visa with the experience I outlined?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

No. Not unless you get a job with a company that is willing to pay the thousands of dollars that it takes to sponsor you, and get you a work permit/visa to live and work in the US. They are the ones to apply for the visa, not you. If you have a very highly specialized skill or trade or qualification that is short supply in the US (such as surgeons or engineers or soft wear designers working in very specific fields of their profession) that may not be all that hard to do. But for common enough (no offence) professions such as media or event planning it would be.

Unless you are a student or a recent college graduate, there is no visa that you can apply for yourself (for a year or any other time frame) that will get you to the States to work. If you are serious about living and working over there, your best bet would be to apply for a green card via the annual diversity lottery. If you get one, you can live/work there for as long as you like.

• Advertisement

ProudDUB wrote: »
    No. Not unless you get a job with a company that is willing to pay the thousands of dollars that it takes to sponsor you, and get you a work permit/visa to live and work in the US. They are the ones to apply for the visa, not you. If you have a very highly specialized skill or trade or qualification that is short supply in the US (such as surgeons or engineers or soft wear designers working in very specific fields of their profession) that may not be all that hard to do. But for common enough (no offence) professions such as media or event planning it would be.

Unless you are a student or a recent college graduate, there is no visa that you can apply for yourself (for a year or any other time frame) that will get you to the States to work. If you are serious about living and working over there, your best bet would be to apply for a green card via the annual diversity lottery. If you get one, you can live/work there for as long as you like.

That's what I though alright.. The question was actually for the other half.. I am actually on the special skills list at the minute so I should get in, presume that would make no difference to any application she would make?

That's what I though alright.. The question was actually for the other half.. I am actually on the special skills list at the minute so I should get in, presume that would make no difference to any application she would make?

Not on a work visa app she makes. Are you legally married/ willing to get married? If so, she can get a derrivative spousal visa via you.

Not on a work visa app she makes. Are you legally married/ willing to get married? If so, she can get a derrivative spousal visa via you.

Are you mad? :)

Thanks for the help, that's what I thought anyway..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Stroll

Not much chance tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

There's the PCT visa, but it's expensive and ridiculously restrictive. From what I can see it can only be done through USIT as well, which means you have to get your flights through them also.

• Advertisement

Hey,

Just wondering I am going to Australia now and going to go across the states for about 6weeks to 2months (not working).. I don't think I need a visa but do I need to inform them etc.. Irish Citizen..

Cheers

No need for a visa if you stay less than 90 days, you can go on the visa waiver program. You will need to fill inn ESTA online.

No need for a visa if you stay less than 90 days, you can go on the visa waiver program. You will need to fill inn ESTA online.

Thanks for the reply.. Can you just fill that any time before you leave?

Yeah, it is good for two years, you are supposed to fill it 72 hours or more before departure (you normally get approved instantly but sometimes it takes a day or two). I think there is a place where it asks for where you will stay in the USA, but you can always update it.

Advertisement