Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Energy efficient lights not working

Options
  • 05-11-2012 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭

I bought a set of energy efficient 8W -> 40W light bulbs to replace 40W globe lights.
    I put them in to replace the old lights, turned then on they came on initially but there was a sound coming form the fixtures as if they were not going to be able to take the bulbs.

Do energy efficient bulbs not work on all fixtures?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

I bought a set of energy efficient 8W -> 40W light bulbs to replace 40W globe lights.
    I put them in to replace the old lights, turned then on they came on initially but there was a sound coming form the fixtures as if they were not going to be able to take the bulbs.

Do energy efficient bulbs not work on all fixtures?

Dimmers fitted per chance? I know when i tried use an CFL bulb with a dimmer it buzzed and didnt work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

There's no dimmers at all. I simply replaced 40W globe small screw with energy efficient 8W ones. It seemed ok initially but then there was a buzz and blinking. Really strange. Are some fixtures just not up to scratch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

There's no dimmers at all. I simply replaced 40W globe small screw with energy efficient 8W ones. It seemed ok initially but then there was a buzz and blinking. Really strange. Are some fixtures just not up to scratch?

If they are standard switched lights, they should work. Dimmers and touch lamp type ones wont work properly with standard type low wattage bulbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

shouldn't be a problem
    unless something was disturbed during the changeover

Unless they are somehow not 230v bulbs

• Advertisement

robbie7730 wrote: »
    If they are standard switched lights, they should work. Dimmers and touch lamp type ones wont work properly with standard type low wattage bulbs.

ceiling-lamps-704.jpg

The fixture is a bit like this only they curve up. Not my preference of style or anything but it's what's in the apartment I've moved into.

There two of these on the ceiling in the sitting room/living area, working of the one switch. The old lights were 6 40W globe E14s. I put in 6 8W energy light, really strange alright. I can only imagine they must work with low wattage bulbs?
    M cebee wrote: »
    shouldn't be a problem
    unless something was disturbed during the changeover

Nothing was disturbed, I've screw back in the old bulbs and they are working grand.
    robbie7730 wrote: »
    Unless they are somehow not 230v bulbs

There the right voltage alright, thanks for offering some insight, appreciated.

strange
    a bad batch of lamps is not unknown
    happened to me with gu-10 cfls

Just inspect the contacts on the bulbs compared to the old ones, to ensure they are clean, and free of any signs of arcing.

I have seen where new bulbs have not screwed in cleanly and made good contact with the fitting contacts.

M cebee`s idea that they maybe a bad batch seems possible too.

ya i was going to say compare the bulbs physically-see is there any slight difference preventing proper contact
    from what he said they seemed to make contact

I compared the contacts before putting them in. They were clean and the contacts were similar on both. I want to work on GU10's in the kitchen next but wanted the living area sorted first. I'm going to give the bulbs back and check a different make. Worth a shot?

Is the worst than can happen the electricity will trip if they don't take the energy bulbs? An electrician I know suggests I leave them in for half an hour, something I'll check with a new batch.

• Advertisement

i have e14 cfl candles in my sitting room,no bother with them
    you're sure theres no physical difference in globes preventing contact

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

I actually had this problem in my apartment. 2 or 3 of the bulbs gave off a low buzzing sound. Couldn't get to the root of the problem after trying several things like ensuring good clean contact etc. The old bulbs gave off no noise when I put them back in. Not dimmers, standard switch fittings. Two were pin type and 1 was a screw type. I gave up and lived with a low buzzing noise as it was in the hall up the stairs so it didn't bother me too much. Eventually the bulbs stopped working a few months down the road. Replaced with same brand but different batch of bulbs and no noise or problems.

Seemed I had gotten 3 bad bulbs. I did buy the first batch all in one go. Try getting a different brand or different batch of same brand and trying that.

ya
    i was scratching my head when i fitted some duff gu10cfls
    i would try to confirm the problem on another fitting somwhere before returning them-if possible

i have e14 cfl candles in my sitting room,no bother with them
    you're sure theres no physical difference in globes preventing contact

Yeah, definitely no difference. First thing I checked.
    Yawns wrote: »
    I actually had this problem in my apartment. 2 or 3 of the bulbs gave off a low buzzing sound. Couldn't get to the root of the problem after trying several things like ensuring good clean contact etc. The old bulbs gave off no noise when I put them back in. Not dimmers, standard switch fittings. Two were pin type and 1 was a screw type. I gave up and lived with a low buzzing noise as it was in the hall up the stairs so it didn't bother me too much. Eventually the bulbs stopped working a few months down the road. Replaced with same brand but different batch of bulbs and no noise or problems.

Seemed I had gotten 3 bad bulbs. I did buy the first batch all in one go. Try getting a different brand or different batch of same brand and trying that.
    Bad batches happens, I want to return them swiftly and will look into a different brand.
    ya
    i was scratching my head when i fitted some duff gu10cfls
    i would try to confirm the problem on another fitting somwhere before returning them-if possible
    If this was an option, I'd do it. I've only the one room with the 6 e14 contacts.

Advertisement