Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's time to start running

Options
  • 05-11-2012 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭

......with more structure.

I'm a 34 y/o male, with moderate ability for running. I've always been in to sports, spending most of my youth involved in football (the type that doesn't involve hand passing). Pretty much loved football but was only ever average. I think I enjoyed the craic as much the game itself.

3.5 years ago, on the arrival on my newly born twins, football had to take a back seat. I couldn't get out to training twice a week (hell I struggled to get out once), and even when I did get out the energy levels weren't there. I took up 5-a-side for about 3 months, until I suffered a prolapsed disc in my neck(slipped disc). After several physio sessions (made it worse), and some MRI scans and neurology consultations I was told to knock football on the head. It was probably something that was always there, but the need to hang over a cot while rubbing a babies back at 3am isn't the recommended cure.

Fast forward a of year, and we had some really bad news with our nephew who died. I decided that I would run a marathon in aid of the Irish Cancer Society, not really recognising what I was getting myself in to. Sure I'd run plenty during football, and sure wasn't I only resting for a couple of years but previously spent a lot of time playing sports. Hmmmmm.......not qutie the same thing.

Anyway, ran my first DCM in 2011. I did ok, but really struggled over the last 6 - 8 miles. Finished in a time 3.58 and the goal was under 4 hours. Raised plenty of money too.

I told myself after 2011 that it wasn't natural for the body to be running marathons and I would never ever ever ever.....(you get the picture) run one again. Yeah right. Well and truly bitten. This year, I did it again, and this time with a goal of sub 3.30. I came in at just under 3.28.

How have I achieved my times? Well, with very little structure. I do follow a build up of long runs (typically done at the weekend) but I don't typically run at any other point during the week and if I do it will be once or rarely twice. I have never done tempo/interval work - at least not since I played football and that would be very different interval work. I also don't really run at any particular pace. On my long runs, I often run at close to marathon pace (maybe 30 secs less) but closer to the marathon I'm pretty much doing PMP for the whole run. I think it's because of my lack of trianing during the week so I'm trying to build confidence that I can complete the marathon. On my short runs I go out with the intention of pacing myself but always end up in a race with my head.

So, I'm starting a log. I want to start working on more regular runs. I want to review the structure I put in place, and hopefully get some feedback on what I'm doing right/wrong.

As for the title, it's a line from a movie called the running man. Arnold Schwarzeneger is the main actor, and he has to get around an assault course in under 3 hours. By 2014 DCM will be my assault course that I'll be hoping to complete in under three hours. I guess it's also relevant because I now think it's time to start running properly, rather than just heading out the door without any plan.

For 2013 my goals are:

Sub 40 min 10k
    Sub 90 min 1/2 marathon
    Sub 3.15 marathon

So as Richard Dawson in the Running Man says, 'Right, without further adieu, it's time to start running'.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭guinang

Sun 4th October - 4.26 miles @ 8.30 mins/mile

Easy run around the local area. First run post DCM so nothing hectic for a couple of weeks, though I still feel I could go a little slower. I just can't seem to be able to discipline myself. Hamstrings & calves felt a little tight after mile 3. Feels good to be running again, even though it's only a week since DCM.

Mon 5th October - 3.03 miles @ 8.25 mins/mile

As part of my new regime to follow more structure, the plan is to get up early and go for runs. It was a cracking morning. Feels really good to have started to put the structure in place. I'd probably give it all up in a month, but I know that my thread is now public (nothing like a bit of pressure to keep some discipline).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Best of luck with the log guinang!

As you know, i will be following, with intent. :cool: :)

blockic wrote: »

Likewise. Between logs and healthy competition, I'll be out for runs in the mornings & evenings just to keep up ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

+1, i'll be following with interest to. Best of luck with the log.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

G v's B v's T .... is this going to turn into a virtual bloodbath?! :eek:

• Advertisement

Wednesday 7th Nov - 5.5 miles @ 7.45 mins/mile

Easy? Hmmm.....I did start out with the intent of doing easy miles (8.30 min/mile). I started to feel pretty good around 2 miles in so decided to pick it up. Instead of just picking up a constant pace (is this tempo), I ran 400 metres quite quickly (around 6.30 min/mile), followed by 400 meters of easy (8.30 min mile). It's probably too early to be doing this so soon after the marathon, but it felt good so I went with it.

Thursday 8th Nov - 7 miles @ 8.23 mins/mile

Better at keeping an easy pace today. Early morning runs are definitely the way of the future. No kids/work/excuses to disrupt the best of intentions.

Hectic w/end on the way. Might try to do one more tomorrow morning, otherwise it will be Monday before I'm running again.

Friday 9th November - 5.5 miles @ 7.01 mins/mile

I felt good waking this morning. Legs are starting to feel fresher and hamstrings are no longer tight. That was the only hangover still niggling from the marathon. Decided to go out and run at a quick pace to see where I am. While the pace is good, looking at the Garmin my pacing is erratic. Definitely not ready to run @ this pace but good for confidence that I completed the run in 38.30 mins.

I plan to use Friday as my benchmark day for running. Also, since I can now see my inability to keep pace at 7.00 mins/mile (where I hoped I was over shorter distances) I plan to work more on interval sessions next week. Definitely need to do some more reading up on other training logs/training plans to see what might suit.

Wednesday 14th Nov - 7.5 miles @ 8.32 mins/mile

My abstinence from the alcohol prior to DCM was made up for last weekend. With more nights out planned now coming in to silly season I need to try keep a few sober nights in the diary otherwise my logs will become an alcohol fuelled bunch of memoirs :eek:

Nice run today. Kept it at a very easy pace. I've been reading a lot of threads on these boards lately and may finally start to be taking on board the message about slow runs. I guess it's easier for me to do so now too because I have the intention of running more regularly.

Plan for the rest of this week is:

Thurs - 4m easy
    Friday - 1m easy 4m @ 7m/mile 1m easy
    Sat - 6m easy, light gym work
    Sun - rest

Thursday 15th November

Snooze buttons will be the death of my goals

Friday 16th November - Interval session - 6 reps, 1 mile rep @ 6.45/mi (3 min intervals)
    Overall distance 8.43 mi @ 8.02 mins/mile

Garmin splits - 6.40, 6.45, 6.39, 6.37, 6.41, 6.40

I missed yesterday's session so I stepped it up a bit today. Having read some of the threads around achieving goal times in 10ks I decided to use the interval training as a gauge even though I've no immediate plans to run a 10k. I know I'm not at my goal of 6.20/mi pace so set myself a target of 6.45 which I knew would challenge me but also not knock my confidence.

Felt good all the way around. Was struggling towards the end of each mile which shows that I was close to my max at the moment. Maybe could have pushed a 6.30, but I'm happy with that. Really want to kick on over the weekend with a run tomorrow, but that requires a relatively sober evening. Not a chance of sobriety tomorrow evening so Sunday's rest day will be exactly that. Next week, and following on should be better.

Saturday 17th Nov - 5.1 miles @ 8.00 mins/mile

Threadmill run so rather than run at my normal easy pace of 8.30 mins/mile I stepped up to 8mins to make up for the lack of resistance. Felt nice and easy though I was away and forgot my runners. Was running in a pair of converse so slightly uncomfortable but didn't want to miss my run.

Was in a hotel gym so used the rowing machine, and did some weights. Also did swimming for about 15 minutes. My shoulder arches are still feeling the effects of swimming today so definitely need to do more gym work to build up a little on top.

Sunday - Rest, or more doing my best to hold on to my breakfast all day. Great night Saturday = very rough day on Sunday

• Advertisement

Training plan - Week 3

It might be better if I start each week with a training plan. I'll put my training plan in to a post at the start of each week so I have something to aim for. Just learned that the wife will be away for the w/end. Child minding duties means no decent runs on Saturday or Sunday again, which effectively means no LSR.

Easy = 8.45 min/mile
    DCM 2012 MP = 8.00 min/mile
    Goal MP = 7.30min/mile
    Interval = 6.40min/mile

Monday - 4miles, easy
    Tuesday - 7miles @ DCM 2012 MP
    Wednesday - X-Train (light weights, cycling/rowing machine)
    Thursday - 7 miles easy
    Friday - Interval (6miles @ 6.40 pace, 3 min intervals, 1x2, followed by 4x1)
    Saturday - Rest
    Sunday - Rest

I would welcome any feedback on this plan, ignoring that there is no LSR, and the days are all together due to family commitments.

WTD MTD YTD
    21.03 46.33 72.53

Runs to date Includes DCM and all runs since then. Never logged before then

Monday 19th November - 4.17 miles @ 8.42mins/mile

Going at a very easy pace, but it still felt difficult. Legs felt heavy. Ran this one in the evening which I haven't really been used to of late. Definitely prefer the early morning runs but probably just because that's what I'm now used to, and life doesn't typically get in the way of those.

Tuesday 20th November - 7.66miles @ 7.53mins/mile

Still feeling tired from the w/end, but managed to drag myself out of bed for this one. Not a bad run though I passed my housing estate at 5.5 miles and was tempted to leave it there. If I had an LSR this week I'd have allowed it.

Wednesday 21 November - 7.6 miles @ 7.14 mins/mile

Tempo run of sorts. Was planning to do gym work and if ever there was a reason to go to the gym, last night's rain was it. Started off nice and easy, and finished nice and easy. Clocked 5 miles at 7min or under. Was feeling really strong for the first three miles of the tempo running, but started to splutter a bit in four & breathing was a bit erratic in 5.

I really feel any remnants of a marathon have completely left my legs. Probably not the wisest session though, considering I'm going to join my local AC for one of their sessions this evening. Quite looking forward to it all the same.

Good session there guinang. Are you joined up with the AC or are you just going along with them tonight?

Good session there guinang. Are you joined up with the AC or are you just going along with them tonight?

Cheers. I saw your session from last night. Not too shabby. Best of luck on the sub 20 5k on the w/end. I'm sure you'll smash it.

I went up to the local AC on Tuesday night after speaking with Mulberry from these forums. I'm not joined up with them, but they said I could come along and join in on a session or two to see if I'm interested. I would love to join an AC but my problem is having the time on the evenings during the week - early morning running suits me best. I'll see how I get on for a couple of weeks and perhaps join in the new year.

Are you in an AC already? Can't believe how reasonable it is. 100 euro for the year here.

guinang wrote: »
    Cheers. I saw your session from last night. Not too shabby. Best of luck on the sub 20 5k on the w/end. I'm sure you'll smash it.

I went up to the local AC on Tuesday night after speaking with Mulberry from these forums. I'm not joined up with them, but they said I could come along and join in on a session or two to see if I'm interested. I would love to join an AC but my problem is having the time on the evenings during the week - early morning running suits me best. I'll see how I get on for a couple of weeks and perhaps join in the new year.

Are you in an AC already? Can't believe how reasonable it is. 100 euro for the year here.

Cheers, the legs are feeling it today!

Not joined one at the moment but Im looking to over the next couple weeks. Do most of my running alone so it would be great to get into a group session once a week on a track. Would take away one day or raod running anyway and be a bit easier on the knees.

100 euro is great value. Evening runs suit me better so an AC would be ideal.

Thurs Nov 22nd - 9 or 10 miles, no garmin so not quite sure what was going on

Went for a wee look around the AC tonight. I enjoyed it, though I must say I thought it was going to be a lot tougher. It was a tempo run at 1/2 marathon pace for 35 mins with a warm up and warm down either side. Now I know the interval training is the tough part so that's when I'll probably feel it most. Lots of different capabilities. Couple of lads were different class, just powering past me a few times. Happy enough though cos I appear to be around middle of the road and I fancy big improvements over the next few months. Would love to keep AC up but midweek evenings are tough for me. We'll see.

Estimate:

25 minute warm up - just under 3 miles
    36 minute tempo run - 5.4 miles (the only accurate info)
    20 minute cool down - 2 miles

Friday 23rd November - 5.3 miles @ 8.30 mins/mile

Legs felt heavy but considering I've done two straight nights of tempo running, this is no surprise. Lack of food today had me contemplating calling it quits early but I stuck this one out.

Good week all in. If I had a long run this w/end I'd be well on top of my training plan.

Very sick kids over the weekend means I got sfa sleep wise. I'm travelling this week so it's going to be a pretty poor log. Because i'm now logging all my activity I just want to keep getting out there and addign to the log. For those who are just browsing and haven't yet started a log, I can't recommend it enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Very sick kids over the weekend means I got sfa sleep wise. I'm travelling this week so it's going to be a pretty poor log. Because i'm now logging all my activity I just want to keep getting out there and addign to the log. For those who are just browsing and haven't yet started a log, I can't recommend it enough.

Hope the kids are ok now. I've got two of my own so I know what it's like.

+1 to starting a training log. Even when I've no running to report I feel the need to report that and the reason why.Keeping the log going helps with the motivation to get out running because I've seen so many other logs die off soon after starting and I do not want to be that soldier.

Hope you catch up on the sleep on your travels and get back in the saddle soon.

Wednesday 28th November - 5.7miles @ 7.39 min/mile

I found it hard to get up for this one after the w/end and very busy with work & travel. I fought the urge to 'snooze button it'. Intended to run 8min/mi pace, but I quickened as I went along. I was surprised with how dead my legs felt today, considering I haven't run since last Friday but I'll put it down to lack of sleep. Having a small problem with my left foot. Metatarsal feels quite sore recently, but this morning was the worst it's felt.

Interval work tomorrow, easy run on Friday, LSR on Saturday or Sunday. Won't get a tempo session in this week though I wasn't exactly slouching this morning for my capability.

• Advertisement

What sort of plan are you following guinang?

Did you source it somewhere or is it something you determine yourself on a week by week basis. Just interested in your thoughts on number of easy, interval, long run and recovery runs per week etc.

What pace would you normally run the long runs at?

I'm following the plan on the 2012 Graduate thread at then moment and then plan to spin off to P&D most likely come mid-Jan for April marathon.

I amnt really following any sort of plan yet. Like you I plan to do something like p&d in the new year but right now it's just about getting out consistently.

One thing I am trying to do (not working out so far) is to do one tempo, one interval and one long run. I want to run tempo at around 7min/miles and interval miles at around 640 with the view that I can increase speed to 6 min miles in new year. Long runs will be around 10/12 miles when I can get back into them.

If I get out for easy runs between all that it's a bonus.

Friday 30th November - 4.14 miles @ 8 min/mile

Not a good session at all. Went out to do 6min miles for 6 intervals. I was using this as a gauge. Felt the last session @ 6.45 wasn't pushing myself enough, even though I felt it at the end of it. Anyway, the first mile went well. Was struggling by the end but expected that. Second mile felt tough, but again was managing my own and the first three miles of my local run are the toughest (long stretches which make the road feel longer). unfortunately by the end of the second mile I was struggling with other problems though. Knew there was a slight problem in my left foot (metatarsal maybe), which was starting to flare. It started to pinch towards the end of the second mile but half way through the third my left foot felt bruised.
    To add insult to injury, I also feel some shin splints coming on. Something I experienced a couple of times when indoor training with my football team a good few years ago now. It doesn't feel too bad, but I reckon no tempo or interval sessions for me for at least a week. I will try to do some easy running on it based on Saturday

Saturday 1st December - 9.7 miles @ 8.40 min/mile

Was worried about this after the blow up on Friday. Had committed myself to run with a couple of mates so thought I'd go for a couple of miles and if I felt anything I'd pull back. Went out at a very easy pace (9.10 min mile) to start which even still caused problems on my shins (foot felt ok). By the end of the second mile the pain had gone (common enough with shin splints I think) and I finished the run without thinking about it again.
    Got home expecting to have a little discomfort but in fact it felt pretty good. I'm going to lay off until Tuesday and then do easy runs for the rest of the week. Hopefully, if it's feeling ok next week, I can start again. I'm not going for the Aware 10k in the park now either since I'm not sure where I'll be by then.

Tuesday 4th December - 5.5mile @ 8.48min/mile

Very easy run. Happy I managed to stay at easy pace the whole way round...it was very cold and a bit of a nip in the breeze so my body was wanting me to pick up th pace to heat it up. Very slipper under foot too.
    Good news - foot feels better. Bad news - even at that pace I can still feel the shins. I'll keep on the easy pace for the whole week and see if there's an improvement towards the end of it. I know I'm not doing any more damage since it's a little beter than when it started up last Friday.

Weds - 5 miles easy
    Thurs - Rest
    Friday - 4 miles easy
    Saturday - 10/12 miles easy (depending on the shins)
    Sunday - Rest.

Wednesday 5th December - 5.86 miles @ 8.37 m/m

Shins were still a little tender so sticking with the plan to run easy miles all this week. I'm surprised with myself. Normally, don't like running the easy miles but I'm actually starting to enjoy them.

Thurs, Fri, Sat - Rest

My boss was away this week so it was a real struggle to get out on Tues & Weds. I was working away on Thurs so no chance, and was pure wrecked on Friday.
    LSR was changed from Sat to Sunday to suit a mate. Lots to do with the kids on Saturday so didn't manage a run.

Sunday 9th December - 12.5 miles @ 7.58 m/m

Out with a couple of mates in the Phoenix park. Thought it was going to be a miserable morning but turned out to be very nice. One of the lads decided he was only doing 10k so took off at the start. First three miles were 7 1/2 min/miles. Managed to slow him down for the next three miles @ 8 1/2 min/miles. Kept it like that until he headed off at just over 6 miles. Two of us left so we kept that pace until 9.5 miles. At that point I was left on my own. Shins and foot were feeling good so I did another 3 miles @ 7 mins/mile pace.

Up to now, I haven't felt confident about ever following a full plan. Over the last few weeks, I've realised that the plans push me to do more. The logs do the same. As a result, I'm going to start following Meno's plans from the follow on novices thread.

Unfortunately, I can never follow the days (work commitments & family life) but I'll juggle it while trying not to impact the intended outline.

In late January, I want to tailor my plans for the sub 90 1/2 Marathon, and following that the sub 40 10 k (maybe GIR).

Plan for this week:

Mon 5 mile easy
    Tues Session
    Weds 4 miles recovery
    Thurs Rest
    Friday 5m easy
    Sat rest/cross
    Sun LSR (10-13 miles)

As a result, I'm going to start following Meno's plans from the follow on novices thread.

Great stuff. The session's are great craic! :eek::)

Monday 10th December - 4.12 miles @ 8.32 miles/min

Nice easy session but once again the shins are paining. Rather strange because they didn't affect at all before or during my long run. I went out a little quick, but slowed it up and enjoyed the next few miles.

Tuesday 11th December - 10km session

This did not go to plan at all. I'm away with work, and it's like an ice rink outside, plus I have no idea where I am and it's pretty dark about so I decided to do this session in the gym. Not the preferred method but better than skipping and considering my 430 start I'm happy that I stuck to my run. To top it off, I ate about an hour before the session but couldn't avoid it because I had to skip lunch. And finally, the gym was due to close 45 minutes after I got there so I had to make some quick adjustments. All my session times are close but probably not right but didn't have time to check it out.

5 mins @ 11km pace (easy)
    10 mins @ 13km pace (MP)
    10 mins @ 14km pace (HMP)
    10 mins @ 15km pace (10k Pace - which is the only one I know is correct - sub 40 10k is the 1st goal for 2013)
    3 mins @ 16km pace (because I feel I'm cheating on a treadmill)
    5 mins @ 11km pace

I felt this session....alot. It was too warm. I'm not as fond of treadmills as I used to be. It was too warm. I was tired. Did I mention it was too warm. Ah I don't know. But I finished it.

Looking forward to my easy run tomorrow, but again I'm in a hotel. Although it's a different hotel, the location looks no more promising than this hotel. In the middle of an industrial estate - livin' the dream

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

^^^ Fair play....would be very easy to do nothing when you are away working.

• Advertisement

Actually, I love running when away with work but the problem can be the early starts and sometimes late finishes which affect the days either side of my travel. That on top of the fact that today was a ridiculously early start, not great sleeps over the weekend (kids have an infection), delayed in the airport, delayed disembarking the aircraft (frozen steps, and many other calamities), someone crashing in to my rental......

Just one of those days so I am pleased that I bothered at all this evening.

Reading all that back, my log looks like I should spend some time on the 'couch' with my local doctor!!!! And here was me giving career move a few digs about her log being a little off the beaten track

Advertisement