Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's time to start running

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭guinang

Saturday 12 jan - 10 miles at 8.21 m/m

Lovely run today even though a little short. Had intended on 12 but didn't want to head off on my Todd when my mates were finishing. Did a strong finish of 6.30 min mile for about half a mile.

Rest tomorrow and then back to menos grad plans

Monday 14 Jan - 6.09 @ 8.20 m/mile

Bit of a mess today. Both kids (twin boys) up from 130am this morning for around 1.5 hrs. They're nearly four so no idea what had them awake at this time. Absolutely wrecked this morning so I had to skip the run until later. I was waiting for a break in my working day so it meant I had to hold off on brekkie but that break didn't come until 1030. My stomach was fairly empty come running time. I was dreaming of jam donuts after about 5 minutes.

Plan for this week:

Mon 6m Easy
    Tues Session (1 mile w/up, 3x3 @ HMP [6.50], 3 min recovery, 1 mile c/d)
    Wednesday 4m Recovery
    Thursday 8m Easy
    Friday 5.5m Easy
    Saturday 12m LSR
    Sunday Rest

Going to try six days running. If I don't fancy it, I can remove Fridays easy run. Session follows the 10mile session planned by Meno. My next race is a HM but it's quite some way out so I'll stick with 10mile distance.

Now got me thinking that my next race is too far out and I need to plan something before then. I'll have to look at that this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

guinang wrote: »
    Bit of a mess today. Both kids (twin boys) up from 130am this morning for around 1.5 hrs.

I have twins who are now seven and I still get the occasional nighttime visit. You know the ones - you're lying fast asleep and then you feel a presence and open your eyes to find someone staring down at you. It takes about an hour for the heart rate to return to normal after that so usually no more sleeping. And because they are in their own rooms, they don't even have the decency to wake the other up and just have one nighttime event...

I have twins who are now seven and I still get the occasional nighttime visit. You know the ones - you're lying fast asleep and then you feel a presence and open your eyes to find someone staring down at you. It takes about an hour for the heart rate to return to normal after that so usually no more sleeping. And because they are in their own rooms, they don't even have the decency to wake the other up and just have one nighttime event...

:D to this ^^^

We're really blessed with our lads most of the time. Spent a couple of harrowing years through the baby phase, but all worth it in the end. It was a real baptism of fire though early doors. The lack of sleep was something I've never experienced any thing like before and would hope to never do so again. Our lads seemed to do everything at different times, but within a day or so of each other. It meant that each new set of teeth could go on for two weeks instead of one, or each bout of illness went on for a 8/9 days instead of 4/5.

Now they crack me up. Yesterday evening while brushing their teeth before bed they asked me if it was ok to say f*#king hell (my sister hit herself with a brush earlier - long story). They caught me off guard so I cracked up laughing. They started laughing and singing it in unison. I laughed harder and at this stage had pretty much lost control (the kind of laughing that's impossible to control because you're not supposed to be laughing). Trying to reign that back in is tough but thought I'd done well and just forgot about it. They told their mam at 130 last night though, and when she got annoyed they said daddy was laughing at it last week (anything in past tense is last week). That took a lot of explaining.

Tuesday 15th Jan - 11.98 miles @ 7.19 m/m (Session)

Session - 1 m w/up, (3m @ 6.50, 3 min recovery) x 3, 1 m c/d

I wasn't looking forward to this. Haven't followed the sessions too closely up to now for a variety of reasons. I knew I'd done a solid 5.5m last week at this pace so was capable, but the distance at that time of the morning with now substinence apart from what I ate the night before made this a little daunting.

Overall, the session was fine. Felt a little shin pain in the first .5 mile, but disappeared and didn't come back. Need to watch it though - history of shin splints. No other issues.

For those taking to the roads in the next while, be careful. It's incredibly slippy out where I live. Took a pretty bad tumble while crossing a road on my second rep. Went to cross behind a car, but lost my footing on the ice. Feel like a hero cos I managed to maintain pace for the rep :pac: I need a new pair of 'long running pants'.....and quite possibly reconstructive knee surgery (as opposed to the garfield plaster that my wife offered)

Splits for each 3 mile rep:

• Advertisement

That's a fair old run for that time of the morning, fair play to ya.

That's a fair old run for that time of the morning, fair play to ya.

Ta. Mornings suit me best because of work & family life so I've become accustomed to it. Can't do any harm on the fat versus glycogen burning either.

Ta. Mornings suit me best because of work & family life so I've become accustomed to it. Can't do any harm on the fat versus glycogen burning either.

All of which I agree with, but the application of the theory is not always as easy. I did the same for midweek runs when training for DCM. It's all very well hopping out of bed at 6 during the summer and running up the beach with the sun rising over the sea. It's a very different proposition when it's dark, cold and raining and your bed is so very warm :D

Wednesday 16th Jan - 4.2 miles @ 8.40 m/m (Recovery)

Wouldn't have been able for anything much more than recovery. Legs felt heavy. Shin pain is still there so was nice to have easy miles. Pain across the top of my left foot, like something in my shoe was sticking in to my foot. Possibly from the fall yesterday. Looking forward to easy miles tomorrow or possibly a rest day depending on the shin.

Thursday 17th January - Rest (shins playing up)

Friday 18th January - 5.5 miles @ 7.35 m/mile

Was supposed to do this at an easy pace of around 8.15 but it was too cold to do anything but hurry up and get home. Sheets of sleet literally smashing me in the face. It's the most unpleasant conditions I've trained in since playing football. Shins are still sore. ry frustrating really but may need a few days off it AGAIN.

• Advertisement

Tues 22nd January - Shins playing havoc

The only thing I've run in the last four days is a bath. Pretty disappointing, but my shins are quite sore and there's little point in trying to run through it.

Likely to be Saturday before I'll be running again. Sucks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

I suffered big style with shin splints for a while to, found only thing that worked was complete rest for a period then build things back up very slowly. Just slow easy running, no speed sessions of any kind. You may need time adjust to your new runners, although you were fitted for them in AK it may take your feet & legs time to get used to them. If you feel any kind of pain in them dont risk a run, it'll only put you back again. Thats my experience with them, its a terribly frustrating issue. Hopefully they'll improve for you soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Tang - never had it myself - did you find compression socks helped?

tang1 wrote: »
    I suffered big style with shin splints for a while to, found only thing that worked was complete rest for a period then build things back up very slowly. Just slow easy running, no speed sessions of any kind. You may need time adjust to your new runners, although you were fitted for them in AK it may take your feet & legs time to get used to them. If you feel any kind of pain in them dont risk a run, it'll only put you back again. Thats my experience with them, its a terribly frustrating issue. Hopefully they'll improve for you soon.

It's a good shout, and to be honest, I think you've hit the nail on the head. I was quite eager after Christmas after my two week respite so I did quite a few miles. I have found it difficult to follow the plans so wanted to do so as quick as possible, but may have been my downfall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Tang - never had it myself - did you find compression socks helped?

Not to give you a short answer, never tried compression socks. Just think the next step is a suspender belt with them!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

tang1 wrote: »

+1 to all of that. That approach has worked for me in the past too. Rest followed by easy build up again.

Took a week off but got back running today. 10 miles at a nice steady pace of around 8.15 per mile.

Good to be back running but will take it slowly

Saturday 2nd Feb - 7.75 miles @ 8.15 m/m

Haven't been here much because I'm not getting out at all. My shins are still playing up and I am experiencing some discomfort in my knees.

I feel better after today after the run on Saturday than I did last week after my long run. Began experiencing very sore shins last monday which kept up all week. I'm down to running 1 day a week for the near future until this clears. Unless I'm absolutely pain free this weekend, I own't be doing any runs this week. Sucks.

Saturday 2nd Feb - 7.75 miles @ 8.15 m/m

Haven't been here much because I'm not getting out at all. My shins are still playing up and I am experiencing some discomfort in my knees.

I feel better after today after the run on Saturday than I did last week after my long run. Began experiencing very sore shins last monday which kept up all week. I'm down to running 1 day a week for the near future until this clears. Unless I'm absolutely pain free this weekend, I own't be doing any runs this week. Sucks.

Know the feeling Guinang, very frustrating. Hope it clears up for you soon.

Friday 15th Feb - 4.1 miles @ 8.20 m/m

On the road again,
    Just can't wait to get on the road again.

First run in nearly 2 weeks. Starting off easy, will slowly build in an attempt to avoid the numerous niggles I've been getting. Also, because I struggle to keep consistency in the days running, I can sometimes end up running 4 days one week and 7 the next. My goal is to keep two week plans now until I have a better base. Everything easy for this week.

Week 1:
    Fri - 4miles easy
    Sun - 5.5 miles easy
    Tues - 5.5 miles easy
    Thurs - 4 miles easy

Week 2:

Sat - 8 miles (LSR of sorts)
    Sun - 2 miles recovery
    Tuesday - 5.5 miles HMP
    Thursday - 7 miles easy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Welcome back guinang. Hopefully for good this time. Take it easy.

Friday 15th Feb - 4.1 miles @ 8.20 m/m

On the road again,

Delighted for you..Like Blockic says...hope its long term

RedRunner wrote: »
    Delighted for you..Like Blockic says...hope its long term

Just seeing your message now. Thanks lad. I'm hoping so too. Going to take it easy, and fingers crossed.

Sunday 17th Feb - 5.45 miles @ 8.30 m/mile

Intention was to do 6 miles, felt like I could have went on so legs were feeling good. The guy I was running with decided he had enough. Not a problem really since I only intended to run 6 miles and if I'd been on my own I would have done more.

Tuesday 19th Feb - 5.5 miles @ 7.40 m/mile

Started off with 3 miles at just over the 8m/mile mark. Had intented an easy run but it was oh so cold so wanted to get the body moving. Was very comfortable and @ 3mile mark decided to kick on a bit. That's the bit I've missed about running for the last few weeks. Not just being out for a run, but challenging myself a little. Ran the last 2.5 miles @ 7 m/mile. Will be very diligent on Thursday and stick to around 8.15 m/miles.

Thursday 21st Feb - 5.5 miles @ 8.10 m/miles

Took it easy and done a nice consistent pace.

Sunday 24th Feb - 9.78 @ 8.44 m/miles

Nice run around the park. flat course with a hill finish. Finished off with some strides which I felt really comfortable with. Not surprising given the speed of the run, but since I've had two weeks off it felt good to get these miles in.

Monday 25th Feb - 3.03 @ 9.05 m/miles

Recovery miles which I am determined to do after the injuries I'd picked up previously. My shins were at me throughout this run. Gutted. Was a cracking day for this run though so that much cheered me up a little.

Tuesday 26th Feb - 7.7 @ 7.14 m/miles

Threadmill run becauase I was travelling with work and couldn't be bothered to map a local route. This is the quickest I've run over a longer distance since my shin splints injury. Shins felt great so I think I definetly need to do some grass training for a couple of runs a week to take some pressure off. No idea why I'm suddenly experiencing such crappy shin pain - hope this is not another effect of new shoes. Though I experienced shin splints in my football playing days (training in indoor halls), in my 2 years of marathon running I haven't had any issues. A bit bizarre that it's kicking off again.

Mental note to self. Take some advice from a few posts back and get a foam roller. Might aid in shin splint recovery.

Thursday 28th feb - 4.12 @ 8.50 m/mile

Nothing to report. This was planned as an easy run but legs were tired from tuesday evening run. Went for recovery. I have been getting over a bit of a cold so can only assume this is why the legs were so heavy.

Sunday 3rd march - 12.5 miles @ 7.53 m/mile.

Not feeling great this morning - dickie tummy. Was not going to miss my run though cos my plans have been a mess of late. Ran miles 1 to 7 at 8.15. Stopped in my sisters house at 5.5 miles thanks to my dickie tummy. Lucky she was nearby cos was having visions of Paula Radcliffe (albeit I'm a male so a very different complaint).
    I felt so much better after the toilet stop. Was chomping at the bit to get going but kept it at 8.15 for the next 1.5. Done two more miles at around 8 mins. Finished the last 3 miles at 7 m/miles. Feel like I'm finally getting a bit of good running going after the shin splints problems. Two good runs this week even though I've had a bit of a cold and cramps.

Looking forward to this weeks training.

Monday 4th March - 3.3 miles @ 9.05 m/mile

Recovery run after the LSR. Legs were tired, but then expected since the mileage is starting to creep up. I'm managing my runs better though with a spreadsheet that is maintaining a history of runs and a schedule which I rejig if I have to cancel any runs

Tuesday 5th March - damn work

Wednesday 6th March - 5.5 miles @ 8.15 m/mile

Easy run before my session tomorrow. Looking forward to the session. have done some tempo runs of late but no sessions in well over a month.

Session for tomorrow is: 1m w/up, 3 x 3m @ 7 m/mile with 4 min recovery, 1m cd. though this is more for 10 mile training plan it will do for me for 1/2 mara in 2.5 weeks. Hope for that is 7.15 (with a goal of 6.50 1/2 by Clontarf in July). Wicklow is apparently a hilly half, so even though 6.50 is goal time for this year, with the injuries and the course I know I won't manage a 6.50 1/2 yet

Hope to get back to reading daniels this week too, though must say I found it mind numbingly boring on my first vist.

also finally got myself a foam roller. Have been using it on my calves yesterday and today. Fingers crossed it will aid with shin splints recovery.

Thursday 7th March - 4.5 miles @ 7.30 m/mile

The intention was to do a session composing of 3 x 3m @ 7m, but didn't happen. Got through 1m w/up with right calf/shin causing a little discomfort. Started first rep and completed it at 6.46 for the 3m rep. My leg was feeling a little stiff but manageable. After running for the 3min recovery, I began to experience more discomfort.

Gutted because everytime I seem to start to build confidence, another problem arises. Foam rolling this leg though has given me more insight to the problem and I now think I have a problem with Soleus (apparently is located at the bottom of the calf). this is causing a dull pain through out my calf. As I foam roll it, the pain is concentrated around that area, though I am experiencing pain in other parts of my calf. I now think the other areas of pain are caused by this source (over exerting other muscles due to discomfort here) which was causing me to believe the problem is shin splints.

I'm going to foam roll it to death over the next week, then slowly build back up. I have the Wicklow half in 2.5 weeks so I'm hoping I can still run that though I may now settle for just breaking 1.40 and keep the run easy. I have two other halfs (April & July) so I will focus on those.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Thursday 7th March - 4.5 miles @ 7.30 m/mile

The intention was to do a session composing of 3 x 3m @ 7m, but didn't happen. Got through 1m w/up with right calf/shin causing a little discomfort. Started first rep and completed it at 6.46 for the 3m rep. My leg was feeling a little stiff but manageable. After running for the 3min recovery, I began to experience more discomfort.

Gutted because everytime I seem to start to build confidence, another problem arises. Foam rolling this leg though has given me more insight to the problem and I now think I have a problem with Soleus (apparently is located at the bottom of the calf). this is causing a dull pain through out my calf. As I foam roll it, the pain is concentrated around that area, though I am experiencing pain in other parts of my calf. I now think the other areas of pain are caused by this source (over exerting other muscles due to discomfort here) which is causing me to believe the problem is shin splints.

I'm going to foam roll it to death over the next week, then slowly build back up. I have the Wicklow half in 2.5 weeks so I'm hoping I can still run that though I may now settle for just breaking 1.40 and keep the run easy. I have two other halfs (April & July) so I will focus on those.

I've a similar problem on/off. But it's been Quiet of late until last week it kicked off.. and it's back again now. It started from the wrong shoes, over pronation. I get at it with my thumb & it loosens out... and Ice. Now I'm resting it for few days to ease the strain.
    Hope you get some let up from it!

• Advertisement

Very interesting you say that. I changed from stability to cushioning in January and I think this may be part of my problem. I think there's a weakness too though so I'm reluctant to put all the issues down to simply being in the wrong shoes. In January I changed from other shoes because of problems I felt they were causing but since that included blistering of the feet I really felt a change was necessary.

I guess I am just a little mystified how for years people managed to get by without all these technologies in their shoes, and now from changing from one type of shoe to another I am facing problems. Makes me believe that I need to address other issues. So I've read up on some calf strengthening exercises which I'll do over the coming weeks.

Advertisement