Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's time to start running

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

guinang wrote: »
    Foam rolling this leg though has given me more insight to the problem and I now think I have a problem with Soleus (apparently is located at the bottom of the calf).

That's mad. It's my right soleus as well i think!! Mine is only concentrated on a small area though rather than affecting the rest of the calf! Hoping it's only minor!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭guinang

Mad indeed. Perhaps it'll be the new metatarsal. There'll be runners everywhere now complaining of their Soleus and everyone will know where it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Bad luck Guinang. Hope you get to the bottom of it soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

On a Positive, nice times for your 3 miles. Especially with an injury

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

How's the injury doing?

• Advertisement

It's better, actually much better. Went for a run on Friday for 2.5 miles and the calf felt great. Was the first in a couple of weeks. Did a half marathon this morning and managed a 1.38. I was signed up in jan so just thought id go very easy and do 1.45. Considering the knock backs and the course I'm well chuffed with my time. Started it very slow too cos I was nervous since I haven't been able for much of late. Finished strong and was kinda annoyed I didn't push more but then I'm injury free so no complaints.

Hopefully I can get some injury free running for a while. Another half in Wexford in April so hopefully I can bring that in to 1.34 and then clontarf in July for sub 90 but at this stage avoiding injury has to be my priority.

Thanks for asking.

Its time to start logging.....

Been off this for a while with injury and what not. The only positive I can take from the injury is it has made me less addicted to checking in on boards, which means I can get back to doing my job.

Monday 25th March - 3 recovery miles @ 9.05 m/miles

Felt kinda stiff after the 1/2 so took it very handy. The stiffness wasn't at all surprising given the lack of running of late.

Tuesday & Wednesday - planned easy miles on one of the days but I didn't do a think. Was my boys b'day so I was busy with that and legs were tired so gave myself a break

Thursday 28th March - 1/2 w/up, 6 tempo miles @ 7.05, 1/2 c/d

Was happy with this one. Started off nice an easy. Picked up pace with out problem. Had a minor blip after the third mile but I was running @ 6.40 for that third mile. Slowed it for 100 metres to catch my breath and went again. Finished off the 6 miles with a nice little hill to simulate the the hill at 8k in GIR. No way I'll be breaking 40 mins on that trot out though. My goal will have to wait until I can get more miles under the belt.

Saturday 30th March - 6 miles @ 8.30 m/mile, 6 miles @ 8.00 m/mile

Ran the first six miles with a friend. Nice pace though we were seriously slowing towards the end of the run. He headed off and I did another lap. Was a very comfortable run all round though having a small problem across the bridge of my left foot. Nothing serious though - can run through it but it causes a little discomfort after running.

Tuesday 2nd April - 1 mile w/up, 2 x 3 miles @ 6.50 m/mile with 4 min recovery, 1/2 mile c/d

My first interval session in quite a while. I was shattered getting up for this and very nearly didn't bother (good Easter w/end and all that). Absolute cracking morning. Finished the w/up but wasn't lookign forward to the interval. Struggled to maintain a proper pace and definitely started out too quick. At the end of mile 2 I was struggling a little and by 2.5 miles I slowed for 100 metres to get my breath back before kicking on again. Finsihed the rep @ 6.42 for the three miles which was too quick. Enjoyed my 4 minute recovery...alot. Started again, but more conscious of the pace this time, partly because my body made me take notice of it. Finished the rep @ 6.52 and was dying to finish it. Again, enjoyed the c/down.
    My fitness @ these paces has taken a knock since I was doing three of these with more ease in Jan. No problem though. Happy to be running again. Happy to be logging again. Looking forward to the challenge of running 6.30 m/mile with more ease.

Wednesday 3rd April - 4 miles @ 8.15 m/mile

Was due to do these at 8.30 m/mile, but was in Prague and was my first day there so no idea where to run. Went to the gym/sauna. Sweat was dripping off me. Was due to do these at 8.30 but just wanted to get out of there so speeded the session up half way through

Thursday 4th April - 5.75 @ 7.30 m/mile

This was due to be 1/2 w/up, 5 miles @ 7.05 (LT), 1/2 m c/d. Legs felt heavy. Pretty busy with work and was working late each night, plus it was my first time running three days in a row in a while. Also went on a tour of Prague which included lots of hills. 7.05s went out the window and I was just focused on keeping running. ITB was a bit sore and pain across the bridge of my left foot still.

Friday & Saturday - rest

Gave the legs a rest. Don't want to pick up injuries again so more conscious of the niggles until I'm runnign for a longer period.

Sunday 7th April - 12.5 miles @ 7.30 m/mile

Was due to do 6 miles @ 8 m/m and 6 miles @ 7.20 m/m (7.15s for next HM I hope) Ran a little quicker through the second half miles. Still feeling the ITB on my left leg so foam rolled for about 10 minutes in the evening.

In other news, I picked up a pair of Asics GT-1000s for 75 euro. Very happy with the price. My favourite runners in the past were my 1160s so hopefully these will be my new favourite shoes. Not sure if I'll have an issue moving between a cushioning (Nimbus) and structured cushioning but since I mildly over pronate the GT-1000s certainly won't do any harm.

Monday 8th April - Rest. Should have been recovery miles but just couldn't get out with work & family

Tuesday 9th April - 5.79 miles @ 8.26 m/mile

Nice and easy pace. Felt ok throughout the run though my hip was giving me some slight twinges. Could've done with the recovery run the night before. Lots of foam rolling through the day

Wednesay 10th April - 1 m w/up, 2 x 3miles @ 6.40 m/m (4 min recovery), 1 m c/d (8.13 miles @ 7.20 m/mile)

Tough enough session. First rep was killing me and I needed it to finish. In saying that, I was much stronger than even last week where I had to walk 100m through my first rep. Finished the rep @ 6.33 m/m. Second rep started and I really struggled to get a rhythm going for the first 1/3 mile. After that I settled in to the run and towards the end of it I felt strong. Finsihed the rep @ 6.42 m/m

Thursday 11th April - planned 5.5 miles but ended up doing 3 recovery miles @ 8.45 m/mile

The session the day previously took a lot more out of me. And since I was really busy on Wednesday I didn't foam roll or stretch properly after the run. Hip was really stiff so did recovery miles rather than aggrevate anything.

Friday - Rest

Doing the GIR on Sunday. First objective is a PB. Second objective is 43m. I'd be delighted with 42 mins though. It would set me up for my goal race to break 40 mins (Dunshaughlin, June). Feel like I'm just coming back stronger now after the injuries and between stretching and foam rolling I think I have better control of that side.

Good luck on Sunday.

• Advertisement

GIR time: 42:30
    Previous GIR time: 45:12
    Was all set to moan about not breaking 42. I had suspected I'd do that today with some to spare. Anyway, long story short, I didn't and was initially p1ssed. After reading Blockic's log, I think my times are in perspective. My training reflects my time and a fair result in hindsight.

Hopefully the niggles stay off and I can build on the training.

Splits:
    6:33
    6:41
    6:38
    6:42 (up to this point I was happy)
    7.10 (ouch)
    6.20 (.23 miles)

The hill coming from Chapelizod gate done me in, as it has done in the past. When I was heading down the furry glen after that hill I was knackered. Furry Glen was a tough one today because I was trying to catch up but legs weren't there. I was flat out passing people though in the last 400 metres and the energy levels were there for another few hundred metres. Can't figure that one out but hopefully the next day.

Horrible course made horribler with the wind. Good running.

Just had a look at ecolis log. Many of the same thoughts. Last year I bounced down the khyber but this year was not the same with the wind. As a result military hill was not as comfortable either. But the upper glen was the biatch.

More importantly though I've learned the names of all the roads I run on weekly for the last couple of years from reading ecolis log so it's not been completely fruitless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

More importantly though I've learned the names of all the roads I run on weekly for the last couple of years from reading ecolis log so it's not been completely fruitless.

I have to say, I was pretty chuffed to finally learn which road the Khyber was.

I've been living a couple of miles away from the Park for my entire life, and it's only in the past couple of weeks that I'm learning my way around it.

Good running.

Monday 15th April - 4 miles @ 9.00 m/mile

Was supposed to be an easy run but I was a little stiff (surprised by this) from the GIR the day before. Took it handy and do some recovery miles instead.

Tuesday 16th April - 1 m w/up, 3 miles @ hmp (7.05), 3 miles @ mp (7.30), 1 m c/d

Had a slight pain in my groin starting off but the pain went. The hmp miles were made very difficult by a very strong headwind for nearly 2 miles of it. Last mile of hmp felt very comfortable. 3 miles @ mp were very comfortable and took in a more difficult route with a nice uphile after mile 1. Mile 3 couldn't have been easier with the wind at my back to finish. 1 mile c/d.

Wednesday, Thursday, Friday - no running. Grandmother died so I was in Offaly for a couple of days. Kids were sick last week with croupe (think spelling is right) which I know have in the form of a cold but it's also in my chest. Wouldn't have been out running anyway.

Will do a few easy miles tomorrow, and as long as I'm feelign a bit better will tackle Waterford on Sunday.

Sorry to hear about your Grandmother.

Thanks rr. She was a great age and lived a good life so not too sad

Cold is not gone....in fact just as bad. But feck it, I've paid for it so I'm running it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Cold is not gone....in fact just as bad. But feck it, I've paid for it so I'm running it.
    :eek:

Mind yourself. You'll only set yourself way back running when your sick!

:eek:

Mind yourself. You'll only set yourself way back running when your sick!

Thanks cm but glad I didn't listen to you. I went in just over 1.30. Well chuffed with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Thanks cm but glad I didn't listen to you. I went in just over 1.30. Well chuffed with it.
    I saw on the other thread.....thought you'd be giving me the two fingers alright :D Fair play - fantastic result :D

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Good to meet ya G. Great running out there today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

upthe19th wrote: »

+1 Sub 90 now next! Not a bother to ya!

I saw on the other thread.....thought you'd be giving me the two fingers alright :D Fair play - fantastic result :D
    upthe19th wrote: »
    blockic wrote: »
    +1 Sub 90 now next! Not a bother to ya!

Cheers and was great to meet you lads also.

Wexford HM Race Report - 1:30:37 :D

Woke at 640 to one of my young lads crying. Brought him in to our bed and nearly nodded back off. My nose and chest were full of mucus. I thought to myself, this race is going to suck. Got me gear on, and went to meet a mate of mine at Carrickmines to travel down together. There was supposed to be a few of us doing this one, but the other lads cried off during the week.

Nice drive down, though it wasn't pleasant hours of the morning. Found the Talbot hotel and made our way to registration. I was feeling ok at this stage but in my head I was expecting a full scale blow up a few miles in. I stuck with my 1.34 goal though.

Started off just behind the 1.30 pacer. Never had any intention of trying to keep with them. After Wicklow half (1.38) a month ago I wasn't expecting to get near them. Miles clicked along but I couldn't believe the hills. I had expected climbs up to mile 4 but the hills just kept coming. Felt strong after the first four or five miles though and was surprised that I was on track for my 1.34. Queue a toilet break. That toilet break made me feel a little conscious that I needed to get that time back so I started to run hard but it was awkward because I came upon a gravel track shortly after that burned my calves and didn't feel great under foot.

Came out of the castle grounds at mile 6 and there was a serious downhill. Picked up pace for a 6.32 mile and I started to believe 1.34 might be possible. I took a gel at mile 7 - I'm not sure I needed this but the placebo effect seems to be strong in me :) At this stage I was consistently running 6.50s and I was steadily picking off people.

At mile 10, or a little bit in, we came to this really long road. It sucked the life out of me. I liked the earlier part of the course but this was tough. I kept focused and passed a few more people though it was far more stretched. I was also passed as if standing still on this stretch by a lad who was fairly tipping away. I'm sure he smashed the 1.30.

At around mile 11 I took a look at the watch and realised I would do at least 1.32. I hadn't been paying too much attention to the watch which is very unlike me. I was minding my speed but I wasn't trying to work out how well I was doing. We came back in to the town nearing the end of the race. I was passed for the second time. He was flying and I went after him for a bit but couldn't keep with him. I looked at the clock and was very surprised at 1.30.xx

Delighted with my pb of 7 minutes. Really didn't feel I was anywhere near sub 1.30 after Wicklow but it was also bittersweet because if I'd have known how close I was to it, I may have kicked on a little more.....maybe not. Good result for me.

It was great to meet Stephen, ncmc, Blockic, Upthe19th and Dilbert. Finally some faces to match the names.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

Takes a toilet break, still finished almost 7 mins ahead of me. That's it guinang. You're on my list of enemies.:mad:

Great run!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Brilliant jump in PB!
    Great run with a cold lurking.
    When's next marathon ?

Well done G on a super time.

Ha ha druss. I ran like a man possessed after that break and nearly fecked myself up from it.

Only Dublin marathon planned Stephen. I don't particularly like marathons. There, I said it. The training for them is such a big commitment, especially as you get towards the longer lsrs. And maybe because I haven't ran a marathon I'm happy with.

• Advertisement

That's a superb run. Well done.

(You'd have went sub 1:30 had you of pee'd your pants) :)

Advertisement