Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's time to start running

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭guinang

That's a superb run. Well done.

(You'd have went sub 1:30 had you of pee'd your pants) :)

I know, the Paula Radcliffe conundrum right.
    I took some time back on that mile, but it was still a 7.24 where most others were around 6.55. And it wasn't much uphill on that part. I ran pretty hard just to keep it at 7.24.

No running for me. Can feel a slight groin strain. It's only sore if I'm walking over a hunder yards or so, so there's no tear. Groin strains, even the small ones take a while to recover from typically. The weather looks great for running, but I can't risk tearing my groin cos that's a 4 - 6 week job.

hope to be out by the weekend, but will take it easy until I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mulberry

Great running recently Gerry - brilliant time in the half.

You should have joined the club - you'd be winning Meath medals instead of just PBs by now! I keep looking out for you running the roads but never seem to see you.

However, I just twigged that if you have twin boys then they were probably the twins who were in playschool with my daughter last year! Small world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

guinang wrote: »
    No running for me. Can feel a slight groin strain. It's only sore if I'm walking over a hunder yards or so, so there's no tear. Groin strains, even the small ones take a while to recover from typically. The weather looks great for running, but I can't risk tearing my groin cos that's a 4 - 6 week job.

hope to be out by the weekend, but will take it easy until I'm sure.
    Good call, few days rest no harm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Congrats on a great race on Sunday guinang, it was good to meet you afterwards. 1:30 with a heavy cold and a loo break! Eek that's seriously good going. Hopefully a few days rest will sort out your injury. Two races in a week is bound to have left your muscles a bit tender.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Hope the groin clears up by the weekend. Not much you can do with that one except rest.

Mulberry wrote: »
    Great running recently Gerry - brilliant time in the half.

You should have joined the club - you'd be winning Meath medals instead of just PBs by now! I keep looking out for you running the roads but never seem to see you.

However, I just twigged that if you have twin boys then they were probably the twins who were in playschool with my daughter last year! Small world.

Thanks mulberry. No need for meath medals when you get the lovely finishers medal from wexford.....it quickly found its way into the bin.
    I typically run quite early in the morning. That way family Life cant interfere :) I've met one of the lads from the club a couple of times out on my runs. Bald guy mid forties but there doesn't be too many about at 7am.

My boys went to/still go to Miriam in the estate. Is that where your little girl was? If so I may have been around your way last summer while they were playing one day.

ncmc wrote: »
    Congrats on a great race on Sunday guinang, it was good to meet you afterwards. 1:30 with a heavy cold and a loo break! Eek that's seriously good going. Hopefully a few days rest will sort out your injury. Two races in a week is bound to have left your muscles a bit tender.

Likewise. Easy with the heavy cold though. I sound like a hero. Truth is, it was a sniffle at best. In the meantime my male psyche was busy determining how I'd get my near disabled body to the start line.
    It definitely had no effect and if anything it made me take better care of myself.

Wednesday 1st May - 5.5 miles @ 8.20 m/miles

First run since the Wexford half. Needed to rest up after I noticed a slight groin strain. Everything felt perfect before the run. Did a few stretches and headed out. After about 200 yards could still feel a niggle on my groin which stayed with me for the first mile. I've only suffered with a groin problem once previously, and it took some time to get rid of.

Did 5.5 miles. Legs felt really fresh apart from that niggle. Chest felt a little heavy and a little tight but just need to ease back in now.

It's been a while since I've logged to this. Busy time personally over the last months with work/family/holidays/etc. In fact, it's been quite nuts. I've been doing bits and pieces but no real structure to my running. Family life and work isn't really settling down but I've decided that I need to start logging again to keep me running and thereby preserve some sanity.

May - total of 60 miles.
    June 2 - 10.8 Miles - easy pace
    June 6 - 5.5 miles - easy pace.

Plan for the next 1.5 weeks:

June 7 - 6 miles - 1/2 w/up, 5 miles @ LT (7.05), 1/2 c/d
    June 8 - Rest
    June 9 - 6 miles - easy
    June 10 - 10 miles LSR - easy
    June 11 - 4 miles recovery
    June 12 - 6 miles easy
    June 13 - Rest
    June 14 - 7 miles - 1/2 w/up, 3 miles @ 6.45 x 2 with 4 min rec, 1/2m c/d
    June 15 - Rest
    June 16 - LSR

This is very ambitious but let's see how things progress.

• Advertisement

June 7 - 6 miles with 1/2m w/up, 5 miles @ lt, 1/2m c/d.

Done and with relative easy. It was a cracking day for a run too. Happy to back training with more structure.

June 9 - 6 miles easy.

Pass. Couldn't get out. Family intervention.

June 10 - 10.5 miles LSR @ 9.00 m/m

This was pretty slow as LSRs go. Ran a couple of loops around the Phoenix Park. Weather was smashing so made for a really nice run. Did two loops with a quick water break after the first loop. I was very comfortable at the end and would have preferred to put in a couple of hard miles but needed to get home. The speed is more typical for my recovery run but no harm - I enjoy the social aspect of running and this run was with a friend.

June 11 - 4 miles recovery - 4.25 miles @ 8.30

Recovery is quicker than my LSR.....hmmmmmm. Anyway done and felt good. Slight discomfort in my shin so need to get the bar of soap out in the shower. While that may sound like a line from a prison movie, I assure you it's to do with shin splints....honest.

June 12 - 6 miles easy - 6.1 @ 8m/m

A really comfortable run. Felt like I could have kept going but held up since I'm only getting back to regular running so don't want to overdo things.

June 14 - Interval - 1/2m w/up, 2 miles @ 6.30 x 3 with 4 min recovery, 1/2m c/d

This didn't go according to plan at all (to the point where I considered spoofing on my own log that it did go well...the shame). I changed the time to 6.30 - defo wasn't ready for that. I haven't done interval sessions in quite some time so 6.30 was a little ambitious. By the second rep I was really struggling and was well outside the split. Third rep was about maintaining the split to HM pace which I managed. It was good to do a speed session like this again though. I've just been doing easy and tempo of late. I think it would be good to get the shorter distances with increased reps included at some stage over teh next couple of months.

Split 1: 6.24
    Split 2: 6.45
    Split 3: 6.49

Overall 5/6 runs from the plan is a very good return under present circumstances. Gotta keep on keepin' on now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Good to see you back in the swing of things!

Haven't been logging for a while, but I've still been running. I've only missed one run out of the schedule I had planned out for myself which I'm happy with. Things are settling down personally so if I can avoid injury I'm hoping for a good run of ....eh...well...runs.

16th June - LSR

Missed it. Was planning a 12 mile but I ended up on the beer.

18th June - 8.6 miles - 3.5 easy, 3m @ 7m/m, 1 m @ 7.30m/m, 1m easy

Really enjoyed this run. Started it out easy and let myself slowly build. Found the pace realy easy throughout and could've managed tagging on another few 7 m/m if necessary.

20th June - 5.7 @ 7.50m/m

My plan was intervals, but work & travel got in the way. I ended up having to get up at 6am, and after a late nigth (work also) I decided not to cause too much strain but still get the run in. I was in the UK but I was told about a lovely route around a lake so went with that. Humid even at that time, but some cracking scenery so very enjoyable run.

21st June - 1/2m w/up, 4.5 @ 7m/m, 1/2 c/d

This was supposed to be an easy session but I wanted to make up for the evening before. I felt comfortable for most of the run but my legs were tired and at some parts my breathing was heavy. Lack of sleep during the week could have been a cause.

23rd June - 10miles @ 8.15 m/m

Nice run around the Phoenix park. Weather was quite cool so it made for a comfortable run. Was expecting this run to be a little slower on account of yapping while running with a friend and differing levels of fitness, but this turned out to be a good easy pace, and was consistent all the way around.

24th June - 5.5 miles @ 7.53m/m

Intended on an easy run after the longer run yesterday. Legs felt quite tired during the run but breathing was comfortable.

Experiencing some discomfort on my left hip so going to focus more on stretching after each run, with particular attention to ITBS stretches. I'm not sold on the foam roller for ITBS as it can sometimes agrravate it for me.

Plan:

Tuesday 25 - 1m w/up, 4miles @ 7m/m, 1/2m c/d
    Wednesday rest
    Thursday 27 - 1m w/up, 2 x 4m @6.50 with 1/2mile @ easy, 1m c/d
    Friday rest
    Saturday 29 - 11m @ 8m/m
    Sunday 30 - 4m @ 8.30 m/m
    Monday 1st - 1/2m w/up, 2reps x 3m @ 6.30m/m with 4 recovery, 1/2m c/d
    Tuesday 2nd - 6m easy @ 8m/m
    Wednesday rest
    Thursday 4th - 5miles easy @ 8m/m, 6miles @ 6.50m/m, 1mile @ 8.30
    Friday 5th - Rest
    Saturday - 12 miles @ 8.15m/m

Having signed myself up for some of the race series, I now have a bit of schedule. I'm still not sure where I'll tackle the sub 40 10k which I had set as a goal for this year. I figure I'll be ready for it around end of July (all things going well) so I'll just have to see if there's any 10ks close by around that time.

Clontarf half marathon - 13th July (Target 1:31:xx)
    Dublin Race Series 10 mile - 24th Aug (Target 68:xx)
    Dublin Race Series 1/2 mara - 21st Sep (Target 1:29:xx)
    DCM - 28th Oct (Target 3:14:xx)

Advertisement