Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Row Place, Christchurch, Dublin 8

Options
  • 05-11-2012 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi, anybody out there living in the complex New Row place in Christchurch D8, viewing and apartment there on Wednesday. I was wondering what the complex was like, the area? I am a 24 year old girl who would be walking to and from work in Merrion Square each morning and evening.
    The property is a 2 bed priced at €142k but thinking I could get it for a bit less.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭robjones1981

I know some people that looked at a couple of different places there in last 12 months, 2 beds and 3 beds, and also know other people who live there and have done for years

From the outside it seems to be pretty well maintained development, gated, clean and tidy etc

Plenty of young professionals renting and owner occupiers, few students also given how close to city centre, bus and luas

I used to live about a minutes walk from there and its a grand area

Lauderdale Terrace and that road has improved a lot in the last 15-20 years apparently - I dont think there are any issues with the area at all anymore. Certainly not in last 6-7 years

Its a one way street and it is a quiet spot for the most part

The market on Newmarket square every couple of Sundays brings a fair few people to the area, but again no trouble or noise or anything like that

Fallons pub on the corner with Dean St would be a nice local if you are that way inclined ;)

The Cathedral Cafe on Dean St is tasty also, the Olive Cafe hidden in the Fumbally Centre is a hidden gem,although I believe it may have changed owner/management recently, Fumbally cafe is only 3 mins walk also, it seems popular but I have not been there yet

St Stephens Green/Grafton St area is a five minute walk away :)

Does the apartment have parking?

That would be an issue for me, as there would not be a great deal of street parking available very close, especially of the free variety

One last thing - there have been functions of some sort in the building across the road from the vehicle gates quite a lot in the last few months, nothing rowdy, just you can hear the chatter etc, but nothing that late either. Im not sure what is now in that building to be honest?

Im sure some people will say its Dublin 8 so must be dodgy, but that could not be further from the truth in my book. Would personally love to buy a house on Lauderdale,

Hope this is of some help - if you need any info feel free to ask or PM me

• Registered Users Posts: 17 needaplace

Thanks robjones1981
    I am going to view three this evening:
    http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/3-the-wooden-building-templebar-dublin-8/2191509
    http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=677055
    and another one that is not advertised in Bertram Court, Lamb Alley, Dublin 8 for €145000 with parking.
    I also looked at a 2 bed without parking in Trintiy Square D2 last nite and quite liked it.
    I hope to have a better opinion after tonight.
    Just don't want to end up in an area that I'm too afraid to walk out at at night!
    HAving said that I do now live on Pearse St and although it has the odd undesirable it is for the most part fine to walk around at night.
    Any more advise would be great!
    I am looking for a 1/2 bed for around €140k mark, preferabley with parking but not essential in the city centre and preferably the South side D2 or D8 or D4...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭tinpib

Echo everything Rob said. Have lived there and love the location, you are beside everything. Meath Street has a great buzz about it and can get very cheap, meat, fish veg, from separate meat, fish, veg shops. Lidl on Thomas St is about 10 minutes away.

My only other gripe was that I would reckon they were built about 20 years ago and were kinda thrown up, they one I was in got surprisingly cold in the winter. I had rented in the IFSC before and may have put the heating on a handful of times over the winter. In New Row Place you have the heating on low for a lot of hours almsot everyday, but hey thems the breaks.

Thanks tinpib!
    Sounds good. It's hard to buy a place in an area you arent overly familiar with the day to day running of. I am looking at 3 places this evening so I am hoping one fo them will be the one!
    Bertram Court, Christchurch (Lamb Alley/Francis St)
    New Row Place (Above)
    The Wooden Building (Temple Bar)

I have just been out bid on the last property and the one I looked at last night, I have now been informed is being bid by a cash bidder (so thats that gone!):mad:
    It aint easy! But hopefully something suitable will come along soon. I hear the hospital in James' is going ahead also so that will bring more people to that side of town.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Weyhey

Needaplace I loved living in The Liberties and walked home late at night many a time.

Regarding buying an apartment - in my opinion for resale value and just because life happens - if you can afford it you should definitely buy a two bed instead of a one bed and one with a car parking space (although as you are so close to town it is not as important as a second bedroom).

You never know what is around the corner, you may end up stuck for money and could do with renting out a spare room or you may end up in the apartment longer than you think (job situation stops you from trading up etc) and have a baby and they made need a room, car etc.

Also I wouldn't give too much away on the internet as the estate agent may just see it and recognise you and know your budget etc.

Best of luck.

• Advertisement

How did your viewings go?

I echo everything weyhey said above regarding the 2nd bedroom and parking - even if you do not feel you need them now

I know Bertram Court quite well also as it happens, albeit from 2/3 years ago.

It did not appear to be as well maintained or as clean and tidy in the common areas.

From passing it almost daily on foot or bicycle I have noticed the vehicle gates to be open/broken quite a lot - and unfortunately that is just an invitation that many will not be able to refuse :mad:

With regards to your comment about the odd undesirable around Pearse St, I think you would probably notice the same at Bertram. Thomas St has improved an awful lot over the last 10 years or so, but I imagine you would not be as comfortable walking there by yourself as you might be on Pearse St or New Row.

The Spar shop adjacent to Bertram seems to attract quite a few undesirables in it and hanging around outside it

But having said that it can be a busy enough spot in general with people going to and from Vicar Street and NCAD.

It quite a noisy spot in terms of traffic on Thomas Street - you would be right at the junction with Winetavern St - so I think you would want the apartment to not be on the outside of the development at all - where as New Row is a quiet one way residential street,

Regarding distance to city centre/stephens green/grafton st area there is little difference, same with regards to access to bus/luas

Knowing both developments quite well there would be no comparison in terms of where I would opt for if it was a straight choice. Even if one had to pay an extra 5k-10k, New Row would still win hands down for me

Hi rob,
    I absolutely agree with what you have just said, having now viewed both New Row and Bertram Court.
    New Row is now a runner for me.
    I may be looking at a one bed in Beresford court, IFSC, priced 140k today also with parking.
    However I think no matter what that if I cud New Row for slightly below its asking price, I would prefer it to a one bed anywhere. As it means I can have friends up for the weekend etc.
    I was quite impressed walking into New Row, nice quite street which is well maintained and the apartment block itself is quite nice and well maintained in its surrounds. The apartment itself is a bit worn (discoloured storage heaters, condensation in a few patches and a few chips of doors etc) but I would prefer somewhere I cud put my own touches on it anyway. It just means I need to reserve a little of my budget. It is a tri-aspect apartment which is quite rare with apartments.
    Bertram court I was not impressed with at all to be honest. They are quite old in appearance. The kitchen is only accessible by going sideways into it.(and I aint big!) The windows to one of the bedrooms and the living room was onto Francis St which the estate agent said can be quite busy and noisy and the bathroom was tiny.
    I looked at another in Temple Bar but to be honest I wouldn't even consider it.
    Oh and Trinity Square is out now also as I have been told the €4140k on it is a cash buyer so I wud have to come up with another 5-10k to be considered.
    All in all I tink New Row Place is the best option.
    Thanks for all the help.
    I'll let u no how I get on.:)

Hi Wheyhey!
    Thanx for the opinion and info.
    And the savy "mind what you give away" tip!
    I would be walking to work up Kevin St to work in Merrion Square, is this area ok?
    Also where is the Liberties considered to start and end it is hard to distinguish?
    Should it be New Row Place, The Liberties, Dublin 8 instead of New Row Place, Christchurch, Dublin 8?

I would have never considered New Row to actually be in the Liberties to be honest. Its not Christchurch either though!

New Row Place, New Row South, Dublin 8 would be the correct address I believe

Walking up Kevin Street, to St Stephens Green, to Merrion Square is fine to walk - obviously like anywhere around city you keep your eyes open, but its a busy route at all times

Thats great thanx for the advice and info greatly appreciated.

Any more advice also welcome by other posters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭nomoreindie

What about management charges? there can be huge variations in them between different complexes

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I've lived in this area for 8 years now and I would not buy there without having rented in the area first. I enjoy the benefits the area offers, close to town, work, lots to do, close to pubs, restaurants etc. But it is an area with a lot of scumbasocial deprivation, and if you're not used to dealing with that you might be unhappy living there - better to find that out from renting, and not with the millstone of a mortgage around you.

I've never personally had hassle, but I have seen people mugged on the street, seen cars broken into and damaged in front of me and it isn't an area to let your guard down in. These were isolated incidents and I don't want to make out it is a dangerous place, but you'll certainly need to keep your wits about you, particularly in terms of the areas you choose to walk and when you walk them.

The large apartment complexes in the area tend to have a large rental population. In general those renting are decent hardworking types, but apartment complexes with a high proportion of owners tend to be better run and better maintained. I'd be very careful about checking out the complex accounts and particularly find out what percentage of fees are overdue.

Thomas Street itself has improved over the past couple of years, but listening to Anto and Jacinta screaming at each other gets a bit tiring. I've never found Meath street attractive, but I can see why some people would like it - the same way people look for "authentic farmhouse kitchens" which exist only in the dreams of those who've never been in a farmhouse. The alley down the side of Bertram apartments is one I avoid, the area down the end attracts junkies and winos and is not a clever place to walk down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I would have never considered New Row to actually be in the Liberties to be honest. Its not Christchurch either though!

New Row Place, New Row South, Dublin 8 would be the correct address I believe

Walking up Kevin Street, to St Stephens Green, to Merrion Square is fine to walk - obviously like anywhere around city you keep your eyes open, but its a busy route at all times

I've seen New Row described as Blackpits before, as in:

New Row Square
    New Row South
    Blackpits
    Dublin 8

Fallon's is a lovely pub.

hardCopy wrote: »
    I've seen New Row described as Blackpits before, as in:

New Row Square
    New Row South
    Blackpits
    Dublin 8

Fallon's is a lovely pub.

Yeah you are right - I have too now that I think of it, although again I do not think its actually in Blackpits

I have also seen New Row addressed as "off Dean Street".

I guess if you are seriously thinking about purchasing anywhere you need to have a good wander around the area a couple of times, at various times of the day, midweek, weekend etc, check out the local shops, cafes, markets, so you can form an opinion of your own

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Next Allsop auction has a 2 bed in New row Sq - reserve 85k

What about management charges? there can be huge variations in them between different complexes

Management Fees for New Row Place are approx €1560, Bertram Court €1200. It s good compared with some other areas. E.g. Newmarket apartments €2500!!!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

And a one bed on reserve at €75k.

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/apartment-13-new-row-place-new-row-south-dublin-8/2218447

OP this is good timing for you to either bid in the auction yourself or hold off and see what the true value of these are. I don't for one minute think that the 2 bed will go for €85k but conversely I don't believe it will go for anywhere near €140k either. My guess is that it will go at auction for about €115-€125k. You could save yourself somewhere between 10-20% on the asking of €140k.

hmmm wrote: »
    I've lived in this area for 8 years now and I would not buy there without having rented in the area first. I enjoy the benefits the area offers, close to town, work, lots to do, close to pubs, restaurants etc. But it is an area with a lot of scumbasocial deprivation, and if you're not used to dealing with that you might be unhappy living there - better to find that out from renting, and not with the millstone of a mortgage around you.

I've never personally had hassle, but I have seen people mugged on the street, seen cars broken into and damaged in front of me and it isn't an area to let your guard down in. These were isolated incidents and I don't want to make out it is a dangerous place, but you'll certainly need to keep your wits about you, particularly in terms of the areas you choose to walk and when you walk them.

The large apartment complexes in the area tend to have a large rental population. In general those renting are decent hardworking types, but apartment complexes with a high proportion of owners tend to be better run and better maintained. I'd be very careful about checking out the complex accounts and particularly find out what percentage of fees are overdue.

Thomas Street itself has improved over the past couple of years, but listening to Anto and Jacinta screaming at each other gets a bit tiring. I've never found Meath street attractive, but I can see why some people would like it - the same way people look for "authentic farmhouse kitchens" which exist only in the dreams of those who've never been in a farmhouse. The alley down the side of Bertram apartments is one I avoid, the area down the end attracts junkies and winos and is not a clever place to walk down.

Hi hmmmm,
    Do u mean New Row Place area or Bertram Court area or the entire area when you say the above.
    I do want to live in the city so in the city you will always see junkies/scumbags and other general inner city characters and also the odd bit of vandilism etc, although I have been lucky enough never to have witnessed a mugging before!
    I am not naive to city living in the slightest! I just don't want to move into an area that is rife with crime and that has a junkies hangout place at its entrance and I may get stabbed by a needle on coming home some night.
    So do not by any means think I do not at current have my wits about me at all stages of the game while walking around the city as having lived in the city centre for may years I know the story all too well!:)

RATM wrote: »
    And a one bed on reserve at €75k.

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/apartment-13-new-row-place-new-row-south-dublin-8/2218447

OP this is good timing for you to either bid in the auction yourself or hold off and see what the true value of these are. I don't for one minute think that the 2 bed will go for €85k but conversely I don't believe it will go for anywhere near €140k either. My guess is that it will go at auction for about €115-€125k. You could save yourself somewhere between 10-20% on the asking of €140k.

Thanks for the advice RATM, however the property above is a one bed and also it says nothing about parking being included (which makes me think it definetly is not as it would be foolish to not include a major selling point like this!).
    But it is a possibility. I just don't know enough about the ins and outs of auction bidding and how quickly you need to have paid in full etc.
    I must read up on it.
    Thnx

Also just up a 3 bed house on Hanbury Lane just off Meath St.
    What would this area be like? Very good value for a house. Attraction of no management fees!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,798 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Not a great area.....and if its the place I am thinking off....price been dropping like a stone for a reason I would think
    http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/21-hanbury-hall-hanbury-lane-off-meath-street-south-city-centre-d8-dublin-8/1900710

gmisk wrote: »
    Not a great area.....and if its the place I am thinking off....price been dropping like a stone for a reason I would think
    http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/21-hanbury-hall-hanbury-lane-off-meath-street-south-city-centre-d8-dublin-8/1900710

Hi gmisk,
    Thanx for the advice, yes it is this place.
    Have you an opinion on the New Row Place area just off Patricks Street?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,798 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

No problems at all.

I actually lived a few streets over from New Row place for a few years as well (carmans hall)..........I never had any bother but it wouldnt be regarded as the greatest area in the world.

gmisk wrote: »
    No problems at all.

I actually lived a few streets over from New Row place for a few years as well (carmans hall)..........I never had any bother but it wouldnt be regarded as the greatest area in the world.

Well I am living on Pearse St at the minute and it would not be considered the best area in the world either, but I find it absolutely fine. Often walk it late at night etc.
    Thanx for the advice and any more is welcome and helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Weyhey

Yeah New Row Place I would consider the Blackpitts or Newmarket but it is off Cork St and Francis St which I consider The Liberties so it is an extension of it. Bertram Court and Thomas St are definitely The Liberties

I only moved out of The Liberties because the house I was renting was damp and I wanted a proper garden.

This house below is on Watkins Sq, I used to live on that street/cul de sac and loved it. Street was so quiet and neighbours were great, most of them having lived their for years or trendy folk who have renovated the houses. I could not recommend it enough. Brenda Fricker, Imelda May, Niamh Cusack and her hubby Jeremy Irons are all residents or have homes in The Liberties.

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/watkin-s-square-the-coombe-south-city-centre-dublin-8/267221

Weyhey wrote: »
    Yeah New Row Place I would consider the Blackpitts or Newmarket but it is off Cork St and Francis St which I consider The Liberties so it is an extension of it. Bertram Court and Thomas St are definitely The Liberties

I only moved out of The Liberties because the house I was renting was damp and I wanted a proper garden.

This house below is on Watkins Sq, I used to live on that street/cul de sac and loved it. Street was so quiet and neighbours were great, most of them having lived their for years or trendy folk who have renovated the houses. I could not recommend it enough. Brenda Fricker, Imelda May, Niamh Cusack and her hubby Jeremy Irons are all residents or have homes in The Liberties.

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/watkin-s-square-the-coombe-south-city-centre-dublin-8/267221

Thanx!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 sunnydub123

Hi,

I hope you have bought a place already.

Can I ask you information on the lease hold at the time you went to see New Row place ,DUblin 8?

I recently went to see one bed apart there, asking agent how long the leasehold is the building, the answer is very vague, just said a few hundreds of years, actually I think that not looking good on them to sell a property, dont even know the basic info on the apartment.

thanks in advance if you know some info on this.

Advertisement