Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

South Tipp losing its Regional Hospital

Options
  • 05-11-2012 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭

Hi from Waterford,
    Is anyone in South Tipperary outraged about the threatened downgrading of Waterford Regional Hospital and the breakup of the South-East Hospitals Group? If this goes ahead, people in South Tipp. will have to travel to already over-crowd Cork hospitals for acute services rather than to nearby Waterford Regional.
    It will be a disaster for the entire South-East region which the government are intent on breaking up anyway.
    A march is being held in Waterford to protest about it next Saturday details on;
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=334379116660776&set=a.200780250020664.40741.188354617929894&type=1#!/SaveWaterford
    Come down and support South Tipperary's acute regional hospital or why not organise a local protest?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭btb

expect to get a lot of flack for this but,
    cork city hospitals would be a lot nearer and more accessable to most of the cachement of stgh than waterford, what with the M8 dividing south tipp. from experience wrh is over 60 mins drive for me and I can be at cuh in the same time and I live just south of the M8.

just my opinion and have met patients in wrh who have come from points as far apart as carlow (would be nearer to go to Dublin) and ballyporeen (would be nearer to Cork)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭chris2008x

South Tipp General A&E always seems busier than Waterford. Guess it serves a large area from north of Thurles to even as far as Dungarvan. Unified Tipperary and the downgrading of Nenagh General hospital to a clinic there is a good argument for St Tipp General to be redeveloped as a regional hospital for the whole county of Tipperary.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

btb wrote: »
    expect to get a lot of flack for this but,
    cork city hospitals would be a lot nearer and more accessable to most of the cachement of stgh than waterford, what with the M8 dividing south tipp. from experience wrh is over 60 mins drive for me and I can be at cuh in the same time and I live just south of the M8.

just my opinion and have met patients in wrh who have come from points as far apart as carlow (would be nearer to go to Dublin) and ballyporeen (would be nearer to Cork)

This really.
    I'm from West Tipp and cork is so much easier to get to. Waterford is a pain to get to.

And to the original poster, the government is not intent on destroying the south east. The people of Waterford seem to be unaware of cuts across the country and think that they are the only ones being hit.

EDIT : Not saying I want to lost the regional hospital. Just saying that it isn't the beacon of greatness some think it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Vizzy

This really.
    I'm from West Tipp and cork is so much easier to get to. Waterford is a pain to get to.

And to the original poster, the government is not intent on destroying the south east. The people of Waterford seem to be unaware of cuts across the country and think that they are the only ones being hit.

EDIT : Not saying I want to lost the regional hospital. Just saying that it isn't the beacon of greatness some think it is.

Coudn't agree more.
    I'm from Clonmel and I made it to CUH yesterday in 1 hour 10 mins.
    If I had a chice I would choose Cork everytime over Waterford.

Also,unfortunately,the actual thread title is wrong - South Tipp is not losing its regional hospital,Waterford is losing its local hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Vizzy wrote: »

Coudn't agree more.
    I'm from Clonmel and I made it to CUH yesterday in 1 hour 10 mins.
    If I had a chice I would choose Cork everytime over Waterford.

Also,unfortunately,the actual thread title is wrong - South Tipp is not losing its regional hospital,Waterford is losing its local hospital.
    Nice one lads its this unity of purpose that has the entire southeast region in the state its in i.e. the highest unemployment rate in the country. As for WRH serving S. Tipp , check your facts.
    Btw WRH to Clonmel approx.45 mins so don't know what point your making about time to CUH?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭touts

Cork or Waterford it doesn't matter. By the time you reach either one you'll still be dead if you have a serious accident and they close Clonmel A&E.

If you live outside the M50 the government expect you to work as hard as you can for as long as you can to pay taxes and then die as quickly as you can once you can no longer work through illness, injury or old age.

I don't agree with A&E services being taken from any hospital including Clonmel General. What this is about is Regional acute services leaving the Southeast region entirely i.e where South Tipp GP's send patients for major stuff and where South Tipp General transfers patients for major ops, proceedures not done in Clonmel.
    I agree with your M50 observation but we don't have to continue taking it. I would also add the Cork city ringroad to your analogy as whenever the Southeast loses out, the spoils generally go there as well as to Dublin.
    JOIN THE PROTEST:

527477_10151172477293612_339286945_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭touts

I don't agree with A&E services being taken from any hospital including Clonmel General. What this is about is Regional acute services leaving the Southeast region entirely i.e where South Tipp GP's send patients for major stuff and where South Tipp General transfers patients for major ops, proceedures not done in Clonmel.
    I agree with your M50 observation but we don't have to continue taking it. I would also add the Cork city ringroad to your analogy as whenever the Southeast loses out, the spoils generally go there as well as to Dublin.
    JOIN THE PROTEST:

Well unless we continue to talk about it they won't get the message. I do agree with you that the minimum service in any hospital should be a 24 hour A&E. Even if all they can do is stabilise the patient for transfer to a larger hospital close access to an A&E will save lives. It approach of the HSE to Clonmel seems to be to turn the hospitals into a glorified nursing home and move time critical functions like A&E and Maternity as far away as possible. I would much prefer to see the relatives of a patient in long term care have to get a bus to Cork to visit them than to see a pregant woman or a sick child die on the road to Cork or Waterford.

Advertisement