Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PPS Number

Options
  • 05-11-2012 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Apologies if I've posted this in the wrong place - it was the closest I could find!

I need to apply for a PPS number - only an issue, as I've lived and worked in the UK pretty much since birth.

However, I do have dual citizenship, and am an Irish Passport holder.

I am also in the process of buying a property in Mayo, so will have the utility bills, etc, to prove who I am, etc.

I did look into this some time ago, and was told I needed 2 bills and my passport - however, the move at that time fell through, and maybe things have changed since then?

Any advice on this would be great!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

Not a 100% on this but as an Irish or UK citizen I don't think you have to prove any residency, you just need an address. The proof of residency will kick in when you need to apply for a benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Roger The Alien 1974

Excellent - many thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

If you have an Irish passport then you already have a PPSN and it is printed in your passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    If you have an Irish passport then you already have a PPSN and it is printed in your passport.

No its not! I just checked my passport there 2 minutes ago (issued within the last 2 years) and there is no reference anywhere to my PPS number. dunno where you got that idea from?? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

seanmacc wrote: »
    Not a 100% on this but as an Irish or UK citizen I don't think you have to prove any residency, you just need an address. The proof of residency will kick in when you need to apply for a benefit.

Ahh, I think you do need proof of address.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Equality

You do need proof of address.

The utility bills are acceptable for this. Alternatively you can present a TV licience or a dog licience. The dog licience is cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hey I know from working in social welfare that to obtain a PPS you will need:

your passport (passport alone is sufficient if UK born) OR your UK birth cert and irish drivers lisence.

If born in republic of ireland passport and birth cert. Birth cert copies available at the office of births, deaths and registras on Lombard St.

In all cases you also need a proof of adress, this can be a tenancy agreement with your name and the property address. It can also be some kind of a utility bill within 6 months/bank statement etc. If you are living with someone and their name is on the bill/tenancy agreeent you need to get them to write a letter stating that you are residing at the stated address and get them to date and sign it.

Hope that helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

Sorry to be bumping an old thread, but my GF is canadian and looking for a PPS number.
    We have proof of residence and passport.
    Do we have to fill out a form?
    Do we just head to the local dole office which is also a PPS number office? Which line do we join? Claims maybe or info?
    Thank you

Advertisement