Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another major blow for Waterford! Aer Lingus to stop flights to UK from Jan 2013!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

I really hope Flybe/anyone step in and take on the London route at a minimum.

This is an unbelievably good service for travelling to London.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Very dissapointing news. Then again I've never used the airport. Ironicly with the motorway to Dublin and it's choice/value of routes it is hard for a small airport like Waterford to compete I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

keep thinking that way and you'll be driving to Dublin for everything pretty soon coz there'll be sweet f.a. left in the southeast soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Dreadful news, always found the flights well worth the few extra quid for the convenience :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

keep thinking that way and you'll be driving to Dublin for everything pretty soon coz there'll be sweet f.a. left in the southeast soon.

Not pretty soon, already do mate. If the business wasn't there can hardly expect a private co to keep the service going, sadly.
    They did the same in Galway last year. It's a cut throat game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭.Henry Sellers.

That's crazy with just one route left next year,wonder what will go next?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Stobarts ownership of Southend spelled the death knell for Aer Arann out of Waterford, they had 5000 pax a month mainly on Luton, but pushed all resources into Southend, which is great if you are going to central London but a disaster if you are going anywhere else,ie Oxford or west London.
    A new carrier if and hopefully Graham will pull one off, will follow the passengers and not another agenda, and will have planes that don't go tech every second day!
    A lot of pain now for a short time but long term it maybe for the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭rude awakening

That's crazy with just one route left next year,wonder what will go next?
    The Wateford Dublin rail line will be next.
    We wont be able to get in or out of the City

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭reni10

If Flybe dont step in then I doubt any other airline will so that will basically be the end of Waterford airport.

Would there be a private flight business idea in this that would be prepared to do a once a day flight from Waterford at 7am into London City Airport and then returning at 7pm for about €150 return with about 30 seats meaning if they fill it they would get about €5k per day?

Now all they need to do is close the M9 and Waterford is back in 1982.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭b0ardsUser

Disappointed by this as I frequently use this service, but it's privately run and they're obviously not getting enough of a profit to justify keeping it there. Whenever I was on the route both to and from the UK it's always been full.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

Guys you are living in cuckaoo land if you think another airline will come in and take up the routes, there is no airline out there at present, Galway tried everthing they could to get other airlines in when Aer Arann pulled the plug there with no luck. Stobarts involvement in Aer Arann has in my opinion caused a lot of this , I read recently that Aer Arann flights from Kerry to Dublin are operating with just a handful of passengers on board guess Kerry will be the next one for the axe.

How is Kerry Airport still even operating?

Surely Waterford would be busier then Kerry?

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Kerry get heaps of grants from the government! Waterford doesn't.

comeraghs wrote: »

Why would they receive grants?

Surely it should work on a demand basis what a stupid country this really is...

Waterford isn't regarded as far enough from Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Neworder79

reni10 wrote: »
    How is Kerry Airport still even operating?

Surely Waterford would be busier then Kerry?

No, Waterford catered for less than 90,000 passengers in recent years, Kerry closer to 400,000:

Kerry has a jet capable runway and services...
    Kerry has Ryanair 737 routes (Alicante, Faro, Frankfurt-Hahn, London-Luton, London-Stansted)
    Kerry has a world renowned tourism product and marketing.
    It's far enough from Dublin, and the alternatives modes slow enough to make flying viable, therefore Aer Arann get PSO funding to operate the route along with Donegal (EU rules set distance and limits).

Not true, both Kerry and Waterford can claim operational subsidy when they make losses from the Governments OPEX fund.
    Kerry does have Dublin PSO, but most of that goes to the airline, and in recent years Waterfords OPEX funding has been higher than Kerry as Kerry can pay it's way with higher passenger numbers, Waterford doesn't generate enough income to cover operation.
    Surely it should work on a demand basis what a stupid country this really is...

If demand was there Waterford would have grown, though Aer Arann strategy hasn't helped their case. Kerry is filling 200 seater jets while Waterford services struggled to fill 72 seater cheaper Turboprops. As you can see from some of the posts above even locals aren't using it. I think there are many reasons:

- Dublin and Cork have far larger offering and now easily accessible.
    - It's location isn't that helpful for north/west Munster towns, little difference in driving from Kilkenny/Carlow
    - Historical lack of routes, frequency, perception of delays in poor weather on small aircraft
    - Decline in the local economy, very little new investment in region to support business travel
    - Runway limits business to a few small carriers, market is driven by the major Airline brands and route/fare competition

I'm not trying to be down on he airport, really hope they get a reliable carrier like FlyBE in and restore a double daily London service which should be the bedrock of any schedule. But It's too simplistic to blame this on the Gubberment when the airport would be closed without the operating funds it's getting.

http://www.flybe.com/#

please consider FLYBE from Waterford when booking flights to the UK. Hopefully they might replace AerLingus to London.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Really disappointed by this news. The Waterford route was the only thing that made my weekend trips home handy. Now I'll have to fly to Cork or Dublin and somehow get from there to Waterford. Not worth for a quick trip home.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Sinall

I also come home for weekends a couple of times a month and am really disappointed to hear this news. Fingers crossed someone else takes the route over!

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

I'm really shocked and dismayed at this news - both on a personal and a business level - my business relies heavily on the current services to Southend and Manchester from Waterford, using Dublin or Cork now will mean a lot less productivity , more wasted time and added expense.

Whatever were the selling points were that the IDA and Enterprise Ireland were using for Waterford I am sure this decision has now knocked a few points off our attractivness and put us even further down the list for attracting inward investment into the region

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

I Honestly cannot believe this has happened im quite upset and disappointed to be honest.

Aer lingus as usual thinking of themselves, they couldn't come up with other plans obviously.

Well that's Waterford hopes of expansion and really hopes of keeping itself alive over to a extent.

For a region of a population of over 500,000 people its hard to believe we will have no routes into one of the worlds largest cities that is important for Work and business also.

Plus the route into the UK's 2nd largest city, Manchester.

Aer lingus have let the Region down and im annoyed they couldn't of bothered to come up with any ideas on how to attract more customers and business.

Aer lingus at the end of the day its your fault! - Prices that would make your eyes fall out for a start, No wonder less and less started flying with you from Waterford.

Im totally sad for the Airport itself its had way to much bad news since its starting's 30 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭decies

John Deasy coming up on WLR about same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

extend the fuppin runway and give us ryanair!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Please please please! Flybe i beg of you! Save waterford airport!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭kensutz

RobitTV wrote: »
    Plus the route into the UK's 2nd largest city, Manchester.

Birmingham!

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

decies wrote: »
    John Deasy coming up on WLR about same.

He is still about ? I thought he suffered the same fate a the missing postman !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

extend the fuppin runway and give us ryanair!
    Are they not doing that at the moment??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

One thing after another. We'll no doubt get a visit from the minister who'll tell us things are tough and that'll be that. There'll be a few good photo opportunities no doubt...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭kensutz

No doubt they'll be all smiles too while posing for photos. All politicians sicken me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Are they not doing that at the moment??

Last I heard of that was about 4 years ago.

Advertisement